Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,459 Posts
You don't but yet some ant will take it. I can hear it now, "it's only $12 in gas and I make $58 for 2 hours of driving"! Neglecting of course that there's wear and tear on the vehicle and you are driving home for free so perhaps you might make 10 bucks for 4 hours of your time after costs are accounted for.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
well i cant see the attachments but based on the comments. you dont do these rides unless you negotiate a "tip" up front. if they refuse let them find some other moron to take them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
To the OP , all I’ll say is , if I find myself on a ride that will lose money , with no return trip , it’s cash tip upfront , or I wait the time out and collect my fee,

Now before any boy/ girls outs chime in on my suggestion , relax and remember , don’t fear deactivation , as if it occurs , there are many more jobs out there , however if your content on eating the $&@& that Ubertries to feed us daily ( and without even a bib no less) , than by all means , please be afraid , be very afraid 😁

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Orlando market has been nothing, but crap for a while now. That's 2 hours in a car with someone you might get annoyed by if you don't run into tons of traffic. I-4 is the most dangerous road in the nation and they still pay horrible.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
"it's only $12 in gas and I make $58 for 2 hours of driving"!
Actually it would be $58 over 4 hours, so $14 an hour (assuming no rides in Orlando or on the way back) 200 miles isnt going to increase my annual maintenance or insurance costs so Yea, on most days my costs are only gas

But I dont look at Uber as an hourly wage job. On a per mile basis its only 32 cents a mile, but again that assumes no rides in Orlando or on the way home, and I wouldnt assume that

I have a daily goal of $200 a six day week driving under 300 miles
Whether I take a ride like this depends on two things 1) how Ive done that day, before the ride and how well I expect to do when its over; and 2) Do I think I can do better staying close to home?. Also, how tired I am

Bottom line; if taking a ride like this contributes to my goals, Ill take it, if not I wont

I should also say that I have commercial insurance and local permits to do rides away from Uber and Lyft. So another goal I have is to grow my private ride business. On rides like this Ill try to make the guy a regular customer, Perhaps he has a meeting and will return home the same day, perhaps he s flying out of Orlando and will return soon, needing a ride home in a week or so. If so Id charge $1.50 to $2 a mile for the ride the ride

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
This pay is just criminal. In the same way that we now view children working as chimney sweeps, future societies will say can you believe Uber used to pay a driver $70 for a 114 mile ride.
"Please, Sir. May I have some more sticky surge?"

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Reactions: Kennedy C

·
Premium Member
9,459 Posts
Actually it would be $58 over 4 hours, so $14 an hour (assuming no rides in Orlando or on the way back) 200 miles isnt going to increase my annual maintenance or insurance costs so Yea, on most days my costs are only gas

But I dont look at Uber as an hourly wage job. On a per mile basis its only 32 cents a mile, but again that assumes no rides in Orlando or on the way home, and I wouldnt assume that

I have a daily goal of $200 a six day week driving under 300 miles
Whether I take a ride like this depends on two things 1) how Ive done that day, before the ride and how well I expect to do when its over; and 2) Do I think I can do better staying close to home?. Also, how tired I am

Bottom line; if taking a ride like this contributes to my goals, Ill take it, if not I wont

I should also say that I have commercial insurance and local permits to do rides away from Uber and Lyft. So another goal I have is to grow my private ride business. On rides like this Ill try to make the guy a regular customer, Perhaps he has a meeting and will return home the same day, perhaps he s flying out of Orlando and will return soon, needing a ride home in a week or so. If so Id charge $1.50 to $2 a mile for the ride the ride
Maybe I wasn't clear enough but what I was trying to channel was the newbie only thinking about getting there and not considering the cost of getting home.

Aside from that, you and I have very different styles of accounting for costs and how we work. This is a second gig for me so I only want to go out when there's good money to be made and don't want private clients because I don't have a regular schedule, but no need to rehash this, we've already had this debate.

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
On behalf of many here, I want to thank you and the thousands of others like you who do take rides like these. I'm being sincere; you doing this really helps us out a lot and keeps these rides from being offered to us, thereby decreasing competition for the ever-dwindling decent rides. (y)

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear enough but what I was trying to channel was the newbie only thinking about getting there and not considering the cost of getting home.

Aside from that, you and I have very different styles of accounting for costs and how we work. This is a second gig for me so I only want to go out when there's good money to be made and don't want private clients because I don't have a regular schedule, but no need to rehash this, we've already had this debate.

its not a debate. Each of us does this thing differently. . I understood what you said and I dont disagree All that Im saying is that there are other ways to look at it; equally as valid;. (and you didnt specify "newbie" Unless newbie is implied using "ant")

·
Registered
272 Posts
On behalf of many here, I want to thank you and the thousands of others like you who do take rides like these. I'm being sincere; you doing this really helps us out a lot and keeps these rides from being offered to us, thereby decreasing competition for the ever-dwindling decent rides. (y)
Now, now... No need to be sarcastic. I've learned that most rideshare people are retired and just looking for adventure. I met a driver who got a ride from Vegas to LA and took the offer because he had family in LA. However, the pax paid $800 for the ride, all the gas and a snack. Seems to me that an airline ticket would've been cheaper, but if ya got it like that...

All of the rideshare algorithms don't care who you are, what you drive, what the price of gas is or how long the ride will be. All they do is look for a passenger and look for the closest AVAILABLE driver. The acceptance rate is just a psychological construct designed to "motivate" drivers to pickup more rides than ignore them because if ALL of us began to ignore rides, a) it would "hurt" the business which usually causes b) the offers to increase to attract other drivers to pickup the passenger. If all available drivers reject the offer or otherwise become unavailable, the passenger receives a message that there are no drivers available. If the passenger retries the ride request, the price will be higher - if ya really want it, you'll pay for it

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
Now, now... No need to be sarcastic.
No, no, no! I am 100% sincere in what I say. Think about it: my target revenue is, for example, $30/hr. Ideally I want to get to $40+, which is doable on weekends. This means that, wherever possible and through the many means available to me through years of experience doing this, I will concentrate on securing for myself the higher-paying rides and reject the low-paying rides.

Now, there are only a certain amount of higher-paying rides to go around, and the fact that @oldfart and thousands like him take the lower-paying rides mean that there is less competition and fewer people holding out for the good rides. If an ant is willing to take himself out of the game for 4 or more hours on a $70 45+ ride, then that is great news for me. Multiply this by thousands of ants doing this in my immediate locality and the active driver pool is reduced significantly.

Conversely, if all drivers ignored the dross and only targeted high-paying rides then competition for these rides would, by definition, be higher. There would be fewer available to me and I would earn less.

So I do sincerely, 100%, thank the ants who occupy themselves with the low-paying rides so that I have wider access to the better ones.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You don't but yet some ant will take it. I can hear it now, "it's only $12 in gas and I make $58 for 2 hours of driving"! Neglecting of course that there's wear and tear on the vehicle and you are driving home for free so perhaps you might make 10 bucks for 4 hours of your time after costs are accounted for.
That’s why I believe the best car for this gig is like a old ass 100k miles Prius that you don’t give a shxt about it being dinged up and driven to the ground… or is this what everyone drives and it’s still not worth doing😅

1 - 20 of 35 Posts