Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started driving for UBERX two months ago in the Stamford Area. I live in the heart of Stamford and have a free parking space so it seemed like a no-brainer as my car is a relatively roomy, fuel efficient compact so I was not looking at any sort of major investment to make some extra cash. After 2 months and 60+ rides I can say that UBERX is a complete waste of time. This comment is for those who, like me, perused this forum for info before signing up, it is for P/T UBERX drivers, not pro's, who undoubtedly have a different perspective.

My reasons are as follows:

1) No tips. You will not be tipped. Full stop. It doesn't matter how you approach the pax, actively with conversation or passively with a tasteful sign, no matter what sort of water, mints or gum you offer, how polite or clean your car is - the pax they will not tip an UBERX driver. They are taking UBERX to save $ and for the convenience over a Taxi so they do not want to pay more or dig out cash or even, my god, break a bill with you. It will not happen so do not delude yourself.

2) The pay is lower than low. You will end up burning cash if you want rides, especially in the summer with the AC running and eating into mileage. Most rides are two or three block jaunts from bar to home or less and pay <$5. In order to get more rides you will have to drive back to the Metro North station/downtown area - if you wait outside that you just waste your time waiting for a ping outside the busy zones. If your time is worth nothing to you UBER may be a good choice but either you burn gas driving back and forth to the busy zone or make no $ outside it. Your choice. Either way you're screwed.

3.) Surges are infrequent and low multipliers (1.2 to 1.5) for the most part. Even with the surge you are losing money on short trips. I did mostly weekday rush hour - morning and evening - and never got a fare to the city so I cannot say if those are better - considering you cannot get a fare back I doubt it.

4.) In the short time I've worked for UBER the "UBER cut" went from 20% to 25% for new drivers like me. They just sent an email that states the "no show" fee for pax will be cut from $10 to $5. Now it will cost the drivers money to show up for someone who can't even be bothered to cancel the trip!!! UBER claims that this is because the pax who cancel do not use UBER as much - so the drivers, not UBER, eats the fee. This is an unethical, slimy company if ever I've seen one.

5.) Their App malfunctions during heavy demand, lots of "Server error" issues right at peak times. I've missed a few good surges owing entirely to the app - I have a good phone and AT&T - all apps at peak and 100% 4G coverage and the UBER app will freeze. The frustration is just not worth your time, take my word for it.

6.) Partner support is garbage - basically a cut and past email response to most questions. the website is garbage, constantly being revised, this company has no idea what it's doing.

7.) Legally this company is not operating on the right side of the law - if we are independent contractors we have the right to do our job the way we see fit so long as we are not breaking any laws. Driving for UBER is employment - they dictate everything with obnoxious email threatening that you will "lose access" if you cancel or decline a % of rides. If we are independent contractors UBER should have no right to require we take any rides at all - we are in "business for ourselves" after all - that is a business decision. I will be disputing my employment status with the IRS and I advise all to do the same.

That's it. Try it if you want but it's more of a hassle then anything else - and those are just the problems with UBER, forget about the pax, others have covered that well enough. Good luck, I'm done.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I have been driving for a year on and off I totally agree with every word of you say.I wonder how hard or effective it will be to try to get together as drivers to slow down uber for better working conditions..

·
Registered
340 Posts
You are pretty much spot on with all that but those with really low standards and expectations, and whom are willing to fool themselves about their real costs, and poor Uber treatment, will be offended and angry at you. It is sad that Uber can get away with so much and that that MA attorney Lis Rorden (or whatever) sold out to Uber and folded. Uber is a good idea that has been ruined by bad and greedy management that just exploits the desperate. More should quit.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Remember YMMV, all markets are not created equal. Some places do great while others, not so well. You can't take what works in one market and apply it to another, too many variables. You have to give it a try, work at it, find out what strategy is best in your area. Reading forums like this for your locale can be helpful. Just don't give up too soon, I would say it will take 2-3 months before you have a handle on how your area works. By then you will know if this is the type of work you are cut out for, it isn't for everyone especially overnight.

To put this in perspective the OP is only going on 60 rides in two months, that is like 1 ride per day. I have had weekends where I have given 60 rides. I'm sure there are drivers on here that have done that in one day although that would be rare. Even if you only drove on weekends for 8 weeks that is 16 days of driving at just over 3 rides per day, hardly the voice of experience.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Uber is a globalist company, that makes a difference on how they do business. Since the USA is increasingly coming under globalist influences, it's going to mean less and less worker rights.

The only thing keeping Uber from going any lower is the economy itself. If the economy gets worse, the model can put the screws to drivers harder. If the economy seems to be doing better, they will have to offer more for drivers to bother.

Since our economy has been a sinking ship for over a decade now, and does not seem to be recovering, I think it may be safe to assume Uber is going to get worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Doesn't matter he gave only 60 rides, he is spot on with his comments. Doesn't matter what drivers do, nothing will change. Only way uber will change something is if local legislation orders them. But even then there is the possibility that uber could just pull out of a market, and then the drivers lose everything

Nowadays I tell people if you're not happy driving there really is only one solution and that is to quit driving. It's either accept or quit.

If you hate uber customer support. Try contacting Travis directly. He has his own Facebook page. Send him a direct message. He may read it
https://www.facebook.com/traviskal/

·
Registered
803 Posts
Doesn't matter he gave only 60 rides, he is spot on with his comments. Doesn't matter what drivers do, nothing will change. Only way uber will change something is if local legislation orders them. But even then there is the possibility that uber could just pull out of a market, and then the drivers lose everything

Nowadays I tell people if you're not happy driving there really is only one solution and that is to quit driving. It's either accept or quit.

If you hate uber customer support. Try contacting Travis directly. He has his own Facebook page. Send him a direct message. He may read it
https://www.facebook.com/traviskal/
Oh yeah, I'm sure that is actually him. I could go to Facebook, create an account called TKalanick and post a picture I pulled from the Internet, make it appear to be him, no way to truly know.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I've done over 2000 rides and everything Cuber2 said about Stamford is dead on for the time periods he drove. Kudos on figuring that out after just 60 rides. If you want NYC and airport runs, they come on Thursday and Friday afternoons starting around 3:30-4pm. There are some to be had from downtown but with the constant flow of short rides you are unlikely to snag one. You can position yourself further up Long Hill. I've gotten dozens of city n airport runs from Nestle and Synchrony. GE on high ridge is 90% train station with occasional NY or Jersey City destinations. 2777 Summer St has a lot of airport runs as well.

If you want slightly longer local runs, I would suggest Norwalk. Hang out on Main Ave or Glover in the weekday afternoons from 4pm on it's non stop pings. Many to train station and quite a lot of nyc and airport runs from there as well. Once you end up at the train station in sono it will continue non stop pings around Norwalk, most of which are slightly more than min fares that you get in Stamford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for saying so. My post is for people like me who are P/T UBERX drivers, the sort they seem to be advertising so heavily for... I never worked less than 2 hours or more than 6 hours straight on the times I listed but often both morning and evening Thursday and Friday rush hours. If you do 60 rides a weekend, great, I could not afford to do that, I have personal responsibilities during that time. If there are people who make a living at UBER I am genuinely happy for them (not UBER) but for someone just looking for extra cash - a couple hundred a week for bills and beer - it's a waste of time. The frustration of feeling screwed over and "bossed" by text message/email is almost as bad as the money and probably the main reason I quit. After gas, 15% self employment Tax at the end of year what is left ? My back of the envelope calculations tell me I average around $3/hour without factoring in any kind of depreciation. Plus I'm taking the insurance risk of an accident, much more likely with passengers who are strangers IMO. I think that without UBER's deep pockets/political lobby this company would be the target of numerous investigations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been doing uber for about 2 years. I did it full time for 2 months between jobs. I was make 1200/week at 40 hours. The. I was still doing while working my full time jobs only Saturday night making about 200-300. Then this spring with the rate cuts I was making about 150-250. Now that Hartford got cut the rest of Connecticut will be next. So I will see it go to 100-200 for a nights work. Surges are few and far between. Uber thinks that cutting rates gets more riders. I don't think so at all. I started driving in the Stamford area. Not bad but not good. I can see ubers plan now. Get more new drivers and the 20% drivers have to go. Now with the 5 dollar cancelation fee....That's crazy. Especially when they send you 10 minutes to get a passenger and they aren't ready after 15 minutes total time. I don't understand how they expect people to driver for less than 1.50/mile. We don't get those 10 mile plus drive hardly anymore.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm sure that is actually him. I could go to Facebook, create an account called TKalanick and post a picture I pulled from the Internet, make it appear to be him, no way to truly know.
see the blue check mark in a circle next to his name. facebook only gives that to famous people when the account i s verified to be the real person. its so the public knows it really is the famous person page, because so many people make fake ones

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
see the blue check mark in a circle next to his name. facebook only gives that to famous people when the account i s verified to be the real person. its so the public knows it really is the famous person page, because so many people make fake ones
You can tell it's his because it's all self-congratulatory bullshit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts