Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to give a more positive spin on advice for new Uber drivers. I feel on these blogs there is so much negativity towards the company and not enough true good advice for succeeding as a driver. Here are a few things that helped me along the way to becoming what I would consider successful:

· Don’t listen/read and take to heart all the negative comments about the job. Just like everything in life you will only get out what you are willing to put in. Put in the work and see for yourself. Just don't expect to turn on the app and make money, you will have to work for it and be creative. It will not just fall into your lap.

· I do not recommend doing this full-time. Most of the Partners I know that make decent money do it part time during peak hours. I work Friday and Saturday evenings from 9pm – 3am. I consistently make on average $280 on those days after gas, Uber Fees, mileadge, wear and tear etc. So I put in 16 hours of work which averages out to about $23 an hour. I am happy with this; it has become my earnings goal. Sometimes I make this goal early and go home. I have a full-time job during the week Uber is my fun money.

· Do not chase the Surge; in fact I do the opposite. I work in the Atlanta market and for the most part Surge is mainly in the downtown and Buckhead areas. While drivers chase the surge in those areas I am in Metro Atlanta (Kennesaw, Marietta, Woodstock, Acworth, and Canton) picking up consistent trips. In my experience my average fare driving downtown in Surge is about $8; riders generally do not go far. Away from the surge my average fare is $12+. On that same note if there is a big event in your area and Uber sends out a text telling you to expect high demand avoid that area. It will be flooded with Uber, Lyft, Taxi, Limo drivers. Go to the opposite side of town, no drivers’ equals’ good business for you. If you are lucky to already be in a Surge zone then Uber on!

· Know the popular areas in your city. Know when they have special events like ladies night or college night. Know what time they close. In Kennesaw, GA where I work the most there are 7 popular bars in a 7 mile radius. They close from 2am to 3am; I sit in those parking lots and wait. I get most of my business from those locations. Always find a good place to wait, do not drive around all night and waste gas.

· Yes the service is cheap and Ubers rates are low but it is not the Riders fault. Provide A+ service regardless. I provide water ($3.99 for 36 bottles), car chargers (multi charger for all phones $11), I open doors, keep gum and mints on hand ($2 a week), make sure they are comfortable with the music, air condition. The negative Uber partners will judge me for this; say I make it hard for them, that I treat passengers like they hired a limo service. I say no you make it easy for me. While they complain about not getting tipped, I get tips very frequently and I did not count tip amounts towards the $280 I listed above. Good service equals tips, if they do not have cash I say no worries if you enjoyed your ride please rate me with a 5. My Uber rating is 4.91. It is very rare I get rated below a 5. Again you get out what you put in.

· Don’t ever expect Uber to add a tipping option or a rider destination. Uber makes it clear that tipping is not required; they state this to the customers when signing up and the partners when they go through the hiring process. I am sure it will never happen so don’t gripe about it. Do I like it? No. Uber will also never provide a riders destination in advance, if they did that someone needing a ride 2 miles down the road would never get picked up. This service is about customer’s convenience, not the convenience of the partners.

These are examples of things I do when working. I enjoy doing this very much and I have a good time doing it. Best it is on my terms, hours, etc. Hope this helps you new guys!

Thanks,
UberLou

·
Banned
179 Posts
· Do not chase the Surge; in fact I do the opposite. I work in the Atlanta market and for the most part Surge is mainly in the downtown and Buckhead areas. While drivers chase the surge in those areas I am in Metro Atlanta (Kennesaw, Marietta, Woodstock, Acworth, and Canton) making good money because of the lack of drivers. In my experience my average fare driving downtown in Surge is about $8; riders generally do not go far. Away from the surge my average fare is $12+. On that same note if there is a big event in your area and Uber sends out a text telling you to expect high demand avoid that area. It will be flooded with Uber, Lyft, Taxi, Limo drivers. Go to the opposite side of town, no drivers' equals' good business for you.
I couldn't agree more w/ this statement. I have been driving UberX in Atl since March last yr part-time. At first $$ was great but after the Jan 15' rate cuts, I don't drive for anything less than a 1.5x surge as I don't make a profit. But I have begun to notice that as of late, most of my surge fare pax aren't going anymore than 3-4 miles & thus the fare ends up being less than $8. Every now & then I am lucky & get a airport fare but usually most ppl aren't going that far.

Furthermore, I IGNORE all Uber text about big events & predicted surges as the last time went to one of those -- about 2 wks ago -- the traffic as expected was horrible and I moreover wasn't able to get any fares because the pax couldn't find my car -- even w/ all the descriptions I gave them -- or the pax would just get in a random Uber car and tell the driver to cancel their current trip and take them, then call me and swear it was an "honest" mistake o_O

I have been contemplating quitting and am looking to find another part-time gig w/ the flexibility of Uber & Lyft to support me while I am a full-time college student. I live 2 mins from downtown Atl and thus am in a prime location but the market here is SATURATED w/ drivers @ every corner. It rarely surges anymore and the $0.95/mile rate isn't worth the depreciation on my new Honda Accord Sport.

After reading ur post, I am considering heading up to Kennesaw to test out that market although I am not familiar w/ the area. I wanted to ask, do u ever get trips from Kennesaw to the International airport? Also, do u only work weekends? I know u say u have a full-time work during the week but do u ever maybe work some weekdays & if so how is it? Also, wat % of ur pax are college students vs regular adults?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am not a "Newb" but thank you for confirming my statement in the first bullet point UberRey.
oh yes. Such a clever tactic to put in your posts when you know you're going to be controversial and full of s***. .."Anybody who disagrees with me blah blah blah blah"

Oh, and you see that title right under your name? It says you are a noob. You know what that means? I'll give you three guesses...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pascal, I do work some weekdays and/or other days besides Friday and Saturday when there is a holiday. I will work this upcoming Sunday night since Monday is a holiday. I also worked Cinco De Mayo which was a Tuesday. I made great money that day.

Yes I do get riders going to the Airport from the Cobb County area. It is a good 35 - 40 dollar trip.

I usually park on Highway 41 between Marietta and Kennesaw. On Friday and Saturday night things heat up around 10pm and I stay busy until 3am.

I have not yet worked in the monring or during the day so I cannot advise how the days will go, I can say my riders tell me they have trouble getting an Uber during the day so maybe you could be that guy.

Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh since I just signed up for this website that makes me an Newb, okay I get it you are so right. The fact that I have been a driver for a long time gives me no credability since I am new to Uberpeople.net I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yes. Such a clever tactic to put in your posts when you know you're going to be controversial and full of s***. .."Anybody who disagrees with me blah blah blah blah"

Oh, and you see that title right under your name? It says you are a noob. You know what that means? I'll give you three guesses...
If these things work for me, how exactly am I full of "shit" as you say. It makes no sense, my advice has worked for me and I thought I would give a few pointers to those who might be interested. Just because these things don't or did not work for you dosen't make me wrong. Why do you work for Uber if things are so negative or bad? I am truly interested.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Oh since I just signed up for this website that makes me an Newb, okay I get it you are so right. The fact that I have been a driver for a long time gives me no credability since I am new to Uberpeople.net I stand corrected.
I'm just saying that 300 trips doesn't make you a veteran driver. Looking back, it took me a few years to really understand this business and how to make it work best for me.

The other N00b here is Uber. They haven't been around long enough to be considered a stable business model. With the way they keep changing rates, both passenger and driver commission rates, there's no telling what Ubering in your market will look like in 2 years.

Enjoy it as long as it's good to you, this can be a very rewarding business in some ways, and very frustrating sometimes too.

Reactions: UberLou

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
The reason you will get bashed by some is that you just started on the forum and you offer both opinion (of course and a good thing) but then tell others that having "a negative" opinion (which translates as not of your liking) are "hacks".

It's an arrogant way to get started. So you will get those on the forum who will "like" your posts, those that will "ignore" your posts, and those that will "argue" with you, and some who will call you out. Like in real life, first impressions on Forums linger.

But if this is who you are, don't hold back and express yourself. At the same time, don't get pissed when you're called out. You're a college student, you get this, right?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just saying that 300 trips doesn't make you a veteran driver. Looking back, it took me a few years to really understand this business and how to make it work best for me.

The other N00b here is Uber. They haven't been around long enough to be considered a stable business model. With the way they keep changing rates, both passenger and driver commission rates, there's no telling what Ubering in your market will look like in 2 years.

Enjoy it as long as it's good to you, this can be a very rewarding business in some ways, and very frustrating sometimes too.
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you avoided the negative statements like some others have made. It has been good to me so far. I wish I would have had some of this advice when I started. I had to learn a lot of this on my own. I feel like some Partners would rather complain and be negative then try to come up with solutions and provide valuable feedback.

You are correct, I am not a veteran driver but also I don't claim to be. My goal here is to have newer drivers avoid some of the things we all have expierienced starting out.

Louis

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The reason you will get bashed by some is that you just started on the forum and you offer both opinion (of course and a good thing) but then tell others that having "a negative" opinion (which translates as not of your liking) are "hacks".

It's an arrogant way to get started. So you will get those on the forum who will "like" your posts, those that will "ignore" your posts, and those that will "argue" with you, and some who will call you out. Like in real life, first impressions on Forums linger.

But if this is who you are, don't hold back and express yourself. At the same time, don't get pissed when you're called out. You're a college student, you get this, right?
I can see your point SCdave and I appreciate the feedback. I don't mind getting some flack but as I stated in another reply, if this advice worked for me how does it make me full of shit. If the negative comments I made are what makes me full of shit I can respect that but I just ask for specifics in their feedback.

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wanted to give a more positive spin on advice for new Uber drivers. I feel on these blogs there is so much negativity towards the company and not enough true good advice for succeeding as a driver. Here are a few things that helped me along the way to becoming what I would consider successful:

· Don't listen/read and take to heart all the negative comments. In my opinion these are people who could not hack it doing this and decided to blame Uber for their own shortcomings. Cases in point watch the comments that will follow my post. Just like everything in life you will only get out what you are willing to put in. Put in the work and you will succeed. It will not just fall into your lap.

· I would not recommend doing this full-time. Most of the Partners I know that make good money do it part time during peak hours. I work Friday and Saturday evenings from 9pm - 3am. I consistently make on average $280 on those days after gas, Uber Fees, etc. So I put in 16 hours of work which averages out to about $23 an hour. I am happy with this; it has become my earnings goal. Sometimes I make this goal early and go home. I have a full-time job during the week Uber is my fun money.

· Do not chase the Surge; in fact I do the opposite. I work in the Atlanta market and for the most part Surge is mainly in the downtown and Buckhead areas. While drivers chase the surge in those areas I am in Metro Atlanta (Kennesaw, Marietta, Woodstock, Acworth, and Canton) making good money because of the lack of drivers. In my experience my average fare driving downtown in Surge is about $8; riders generally do not go far. Away from the surge my average fare is $12+. On that same note if there is a big event in your area and Uber sends out a text telling you to expect high demand avoid that area. It will be flooded with Uber, Lyft, Taxi, Limo drivers. Go to the opposite side of town, no drivers' equals' good business for you.

· Know the popular areas in your city. Know when they have special events like ladies night or college night. Know what time they close. In Kennesaw, GA where I work the most there are 7 popular bars in a 7 mile radius. They close from 2am to 3am; I sit in those parking lots and wait. I get most of my business from those locations. Always find a good place to wait, do not drive around all night and waste gas.

· Yes the service is cheap and Ubers rates are low but it is not the Riders fault. Provide A+ service regardless. I provide water ($3.99 for 36 bottles), car chargers (multi charger for all phones $11), I open doors, keep gum and mints on hand ($2 a week), make sure they are comfortable with the music, air condition. The negative Uber partners will judge me for this; say I make it hard for them, that I treat passengers like they hired a limo service. I say no you make it easy for me. While they complain about not getting tipped, guess what I get tips very frequently and I did not count tip amounts towards the $280 I listed above. Good service equals tips, if they do not have cash I say no worries if you enjoyed your ride please rate me with a 5. My Uber rating is 4.94. It is very rare I get rated below a 5. Again you get out what you put in.

· Don't ever expect Uber to add a tipping option or a rider destination. Uber makes it clear that tipping is not required; they state this to the customers when signing up and the partners when they go through the hiring process. I am sure it will never happen so don't gripe about it. Do I like it? No but I choose to roll with it. Uber will also never provide a riders destination in advance, if they did that someone needing a ride 2 miles down the road would never get picked up. This service is about customer's convenience, not the convenience or should I say laziness of the partners.

These are examples of things I do when working. I enjoy doing this very much and I have a good time doing it. Best it is on my terms, hours, etc. No other Uber Partner will ever make me feel bad for the service I provide or how I provide. Hope this helps you new guys!

Thanks,
UberLou
You make the typical newb mistake of forgetting to subtract taxes and car depreciation from your $23/hr. Have fun with that, I'll stick to my $45/hr average only doing 1.9x and higher surge trips.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If these things work for me, how exactly am I full of "shit" as you say. It makes no sense, my advice has worked for me and I thought I would give a few pointers to those who might be interested. Just because these things don't or did not work for you dosen't make me wrong. Why do you work for Uber if things are so negative or bad? I am truly interested.
you misunderstand... What your are doing makes perfect sense, and it is completely positive. What makes what you say "bullsh*t" is prefacing your whole speech with an attack on anyone who could possibly disagree with you. If you want to be heard and respected, you don't demand such out of the gate. A man of integrity does not need to protect himself from the scrutiny of others. His words and his wisdom stand for themselves.

I applaud anyone who is willing to take the time to help people succeed in this business. And truth I want everyone they get as filthy rich as humanly possible doing what they love doing. My experience thus far has been an exercise I have one step forward three steps back. I think that 95% of everyone on this forum could agree that that is their experience as well. If you are one of the lucky few, congratulations! I just think that it is hubris to believe that you are doing so much better than everyone else because you are so much better than everyone else. Many people are doing exactly what you are doing and not finding the same success. I am not particularly one of those people. I am doing better than most, but not as well as others. To compare myself with those who are doing better suggests that my current efforts are insufficient. And that, too, is bullsh*t.

my opinion, and this is only my opinion, is that if you want to give advice, write a blog. Otherwise it would be wise to wait until you are asked for it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
you misunderstand... What your are doing makes perfect sense, and it is completely positive. What makes what you say "bullsh*t" is prefacing your whole speech with an attack on anyone who could possibly disagree with you. If you want to be heard and respected, you don't demand such out of the gate. A man of integrity does not need to protect himself from the scrutiny of others. His words and his wisdom stand for themselves.

I applaud anyone who is willing to take the time to help people succeed in this business. And truth I want everyone they get as filthy rich as humanly possible doing what they love doing. My experience thus far has been an exercise I have one step forward three steps back. I think that 95% of everyone on this forum could agree that that is their experience as well. If you are one of the lucky few, congratulations! I just think that it is hubris to believe that you are doing so much better than everyone else because you are so much better than everyone else. Many people are doing exactly what you are doing and not finding the same success. I am not particularly one of those people. I am doing better than most, but not as well as others. To compare myself with those who are doing better suggests that my current efforts are insufficient. And that, too, is bullsh*t.

my opinion, and this is only my opinion, is that if you want to give advice, write a blog. Otherwise it would be wise to wait until you are asked for it.
Thank you for your intelligent well thought out and well represented comment. That is all I was looking for. My intention was not to belittle the efforts of others but I can see where I may have come off that way.

In reading many posts on this site I find that any time someone writes something positive another has to come along and demine it, so in my mind I was trying to deter those from making those comments.

With your feedback I will remove some of the negative statements I wrote.

Thanks,
Louis

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I couldn't agree more w/ this statement. I have been driving UberX in Atl since March last yr part-time. At first $$ was great but after the Jan 15' rate cuts, I don't drive for anything less than a 1.5x surge as I don't make a profit. But I have begun to notice that as of late, most of my surge fare pax aren't going anymore than 3-4 miles & thus the fare ends up being less than $8. Every now & then I am lucky & get a airport fare but usually most ppl aren't going that far.

Furthermore, I IGNORE all Uber text about big events & predicted surges as the last time went to one of those -- about 2 wks ago -- the traffic as expected was horrible and I moreover wasn't able to get any fares because the pax couldn't find my car -- even w/ all the descriptions I gave them -- or the pax would just get in a random Uber car and tell the driver to cancel their current trip and take them, then call me and swear it was an "honest" mistake o_O

I have been contemplating quitting and am looking to find another part-time gig w/ the flexibility of Uber & Lyft to support me while I am a full-time college student. I live 2 mins from downtown Atl and thus am in a prime location but the market here is SATURATED w/ drivers @ every corner. It rarely surges anymore and the $0.95/mile rate isn't worth the depreciation on my new Honda Accord Sport.

After reading ur post, I am considering heading up to Kennesaw to test out that market although I am not familiar w/ the area. I wanted to ask, do u ever get trips from Kennesaw to the International airport? Also, do u only work weekends? I know u say u have a full-time work during the week but do u ever maybe work some weekdays & if so how is it? Also, wat % of ur pax are college students vs regular adults?
Pascal, I do work some weekdays and/or other days besides Friday and Saturday when there is a holiday. I will work this upcoming Sunday night since Monday is a holiday. I also worked Cinco De Mayo which was a Tuesday. I made great money that day.

Yes I do get riders going to the Airport from the Cobb County area. It is a good 35 - 40 dollar trip.

I usually park on Highway 41 between Marietta and Kennesaw. On Friday and Saturday night things heat up around 10pm and I stay busy until 3am.

I have not yet worked in the monring or during the day so I cannot advise how the days will go, I can say my riders tell me they have trouble getting an Uber during the day so maybe you could be that guy.

Thanks,
Lou

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.