Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking to drive for Uber for just a few months to make some cash and have a good experience.
I'm going to start in White Marsh and probably Towson. Are there good times and locations in those specific areas?
If all goes well I'll be driving in Frederick afterwards. Any advice about anything is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Be open Mind and relax.. common sense for everything and dont do Ubers recommendations like bottle of water for the pax and stuff like that
Other than this valid question go look around for different stories and opinion, look around the cities and read what people are doing

·
24,495 Posts
I do not know all that much about either the Baltimore or Greater Maryland market.

In general, you might accept every ping, at first, just so that you get an idea of how it works. As time passes and you gain some experience, you will get an idea of what works for you and what does not.

There will be a thousand posters who will tell you not to do Uber Pool. You might want to accept a few of them just so that you know how it works. Further, you might actually be able to make it work for you. Everyone is different. I do not l ike Uber Pool and will not accept them. Still, there is a guy on the Washington boards whose ID is koyotemohn. He has managed to make Pool work for him. You might check out some of his posts on the subject. I have an idea as to how he does it, I simply have not taken the bother to think through the whole thing.

Save your cancellations for when you really need them. Keep in mind that Uber holds even legitimate cancellations (passenger does not show up, incorrect address, and the like) against you. If you do not want to cover a request , just do not accept it. Uber will not "fire" you (to the degree that an Independent Contractor actually can be "fired") for not accepting requests. It will send you nastygrams, but it will not terminate you. Uber will terminate you if you cancel too frequently. If, however, something just does not feel "right", makes you uncomfortable or you just smell a proverbial rat, DO cancel immediately and get out of there.

Do not take any nonsense from anyone. If they get out of line, you might give them one warning, depending on what they do. If you do give them a warning, make good on it if they continue their poor behaviour. If you threaten to evict the customer from your car for misconduct, if the misconduct persists, throw them out of the car at the first opportunity. If the passenger balks, do not fool with him. Always know where you are and call the police immediately. Usually, the call to the police will get them out of the car. Once the miscreant leaves the car, lock the doors, drive away from him and let the police know that you do not need them any more.

After you have worked UberX for a week or a month, you might want to sign up for Lyft. It will give you another option.

I drive both Uber Taxi (not available in Baltimore or Greater Maryland) and UberX.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Hello,
I'm looking to drive for Uber for just a few months to make some cash and have a good experience.
I'm going to start in White Marsh and probably Towson. Are there good times and locations in those specific areas?
If all goes well I'll be driving in Frederick afterwards. Any advice about anything is greatly appreciated!
Ensure you give out for number to attractive males like myself, they normally will include a tip.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Keep reading UP for advice, stories, ideas, and a whole lot of grumbling - often from people who are not even active drivers.

But seriously, if you have a question, ask this forum. You may not like the suggestions, but they are at least worth considering.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
I do not know all that much about either the Baltimore or Greater Maryland market.

In general, you might accept every ping, at first, just so that you get an idea of how it works. As time passes and you gain some experience, you will get an idea of what works for you and what does not.

There will be a thousand posters who will tell you not to do Uber Pool. You might want to accept a few of them just so that you know how it works. Further, you might actually be able to make it work for you. Everyone is different. I do not l ike Uber Pool and will not accept them. Still, there is a guy on the Washington boards whose ID is koyotemohn. He has managed to make Pool work for him. You might check out some of his posts on the subject. I have an idea as to how he does it, I simply have not taken the bother to think through the whole thing.

Save your cancellations for when you really need them. Keep in mind that Uber holds even legitimate cancellations (passenger does not show up, incorrect address, and the like) against you. If you do not want to cover a request , just do not accept it. Uber will not "fire" you (to the degree that an Independent Contractor actually can be "fired") for not accepting requests. It will send you nastygrams, but it will not terminate you. Uber will terminate you if you cancel too frequently. If, however, something just does not feel "right", makes you uncomfortable or you just smell a proverbial rat, DO cancel immediately and get out of there.

Do not take any nonsense from anyone. If they get out of line, you might give them one warning, depending on what they do. If you do give them a warning, make good on it if they continue their poor behaviour. If you threaten to evict the customer from your car for misconduct, if the misconduct persists, throw them out of the car at the first opportunity. If the passenger balks, do not fool with him. Always know where you are and call the police immediately. Usually, the call to the police will get them out of the car. Once the miscreant leaves the car, lock the doors, drive away from him and let the police know that you do not need them any more.

After you have worked UberX for a week or a month, you might want to sign up for Lyft. It will give you another option.

I drive both Uber Taxi (not available in Baltimore or Greater Maryland) and UberX.
All very good advice. And I would add one thing Stay Safe. I recommend females should probably avoid the late night bar crowd.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hello,
Number one ! Buy dual Dash Camera with 2x64 gb cards

·
Registered
106 Posts
The best way to succeed in this business is to own your performance and add value at every turn. You can be an Uber superstar.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Prepare for a level of micro aggresions & sexual harassment you have never experienced before. Not one thing will be done about it either.

·
Premium Member
4,537 Posts
Hello,
I like working the airport it's safe and you got a nice clientele

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello,
Driving for lyft is safer

1 - 20 of 61 Posts