Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My account seemed to have been hacked today. Someone called me to tell me I had received a "power driver bonus". I was a bit suspicious and said I had a fare to pick up, but they said they could cancel the fare and reimburse me, and actually canceled the fare and signed me out. At that point I figured it was Uber I was talking to. They started asking me questions to verify my username and phone number, which I did. Eventually they asked about my Lyft account, and I got suspicious and hung up. I tried to contact Uber immediately (yeah right, I've been on hold 2 hours), and about 5 minutes later all the money I'd made this past week was gone. Any advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed my password. I've been on hold with Uber phone support (something tells me this might've happened to more than just me today) and I've been contacting them over email. Do you have a link to the thread from last week?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your account didn't get 'hacked.' You were 'phished' by a con artist using the passenger app and you fell for the con.

Change your password.

BTW, no company, NOT ONE, will ever contact you to ask the type of questions you answered for the criminals who you helped take your earnings.

Uber and Lyft NEVER call to relay 'bonus' or promotions info. Think about how inefficient that would be for a minute. It is sooooo inefficient and costly to contact large numbers of drivers by phone that it never, ever happens!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the last thread. No, I know, it was dumb by me. Like the last guy said, the thing that throws you off is they cancel your trip. And afterwards it's obvious they were that initial trip. But it's still messed up Uber gives them a Trojan Horse to work with like Instapay. And that they also didn't notify drivers of this scam, as its clearly been going around. Hopefully I'll get reimbursed since that last guy did as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Found the last thread. No, I know, it was dumb by me. Like the last guy said, the thing that throws you off is they cancel your trip. And afterwards it's obvious they were that initial trip. But it's still messed up Uber gives them a Trojan Horse to work with like Instapay. And that they also didn't notify drivers of this scam, as its clearly been going around. Hopefully I'll get reimbursed since that last guy did as well.
I LOVE Instapay don't get that taken away lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Photograph White Black Font Screenshot

The same thing happened to me! Except they didn't ask my info over the phone. They said sent me a link, and it would only take a few minutes in order to verify my account. I fell for it & made the mistake of inputting my account info and password. Here's a screenshot of what the link opened up to.

It was a pretty sophisticated scam. I feel really dumb now, but I was busy and in the middle of downtown SF when it was all happening (they also cancelled my fare so it seemed real). So yeah, all my earnings for the week is GONE. I realized I had been scammed when I received a text saying my banking info had been updated. I'm so bummed... I hope Uber will reimburse me.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Communication Device Font Gadget Sky Screenshot

Uber was unavailable via phone. I just sent an email to report the issue

Your account didn't get 'hacked.' You were 'phished' by a con artist using the passenger app and you fell for the con.

Change your password.

BTW, no company, NOT ONE, will ever contact you to ask the type of questions you answered for the criminals who you helped take your earnings.

Uber and Lyft NEVER call to relay 'bonus' or promotions info. Think about how inefficient that would be for a minute. It is sooooo inefficient and costly to contact large numbers of drivers by phone that it never, ever happens!
They sent me a link. Here are screenshots of what I was sent.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Uber was unavailable via phone. I just sent an email to report the issue

They sent me a link. Here are screenshots of what I was sent.
Sorry, I meant Dr. Quacks, not you. He said he was "on hold with Uber support for 2 hours". Just wondering how he called them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Uber needs to require a text confirmation before changing bank info. This is the 3rd report. There must be thousands.
Yes, I am surprised they so easily changed my banking information. I did not know until I received the automated text that my banking information was updated.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Update: got response from uber. They will get my money back. I'm happy they actually took care of this. Mad respect for that
Uber says they will reimburse this guy. Check out the thread. I'm guessing Uber cannot legally be this sloppy.

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
The last guy this happened to got his money reimbursed, but you may not get it also since they put up a notice on their home screen when you login to the app.

I would keep spamming uber support until they get back to you. If they reimburse it will likely take some time, maybe up to a week, and they will lock your account in the mean time. Just a heads up.

How much money did you lose?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The last guy this happened to got his money reimbursed, but you may not get it also since they put up a notice on their home screen when you login to the app.

I would keep spamming uber support until they get back to you. If they reimburse it will likely take some time, maybe up to a week, and they will lock your account in the mean time. Just a heads up.

How much money did you lose?
I lost $860

They got clever and did not ask me to give my password over the phone. They sent me a link in which I had fill in fields with my info "for verification". Ugh I feel so dumb!
It looked totally legit tho...

1 - 20 of 127 Posts