Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not reported to Uber yet, but my own insurance is now cancelled. My insurance is denying me coverage. I was at fault but I got hit. I was on the app and omw to pick up a passenger, I was looking at my GPS and went through a flashing red light. The other car had a flashing yellow and almost t-boned me but caught the back end of my car on right passenger side, back tire.

How long do I have to report the incident to Uber? This just happened Monday at midnight. I am freaking out a bit to be honest....

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Did you tell your insurance you were actively doing Uber or did you tell the police who put it in the report that then was seen by your insurance company? I'm just interested to know why the insurance company is denying coverage. I know that sucks big time but this is a scenario that most of us drivers are afraid of without commercial insurance.

· Registered
9,688 Posts
Well I'm not sure what the purpose of asking the question is. The only thing you can do is report it to Uber. Otherwise what are your options? None, other than pay cash for the other party's vehicle damage.

Report it to Uber and see if they will cover it without checking to see if you have valid insurance. If they do, you are out of luck.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
That is too bad. At least you were on the way to pick up a pax so you should at least have coverage through Uber (James River) for the 1000 dollar deductible.

Uber should have to inform drivers that without commercial insurance they are at risk driving Uber. It's just another shady example why Uber could very easily go down in history as one of the biggest scams maybe even worse than Enron and Bernie Madoff. Time will tell.

· Registered
9,688 Posts
That is too bad. At least you were on the way to pick up a pax so you should at least have coverage through Uber (James River) for the 1000 dollar deductible.

Uber should have to inform drivers that without commercial insurance they are at risk driving Uber. It's just another shady example why Uber could very easily go down in history as one of the biggest scams maybe even worse than Enron and Bernie Madoff. Time will tell.
The OP will be covered under liability but he may be out for his own vehicle.

Do people really not check their insurance policies before making life altering decisions? This is adulting 101.

Uber does tell you, one of the first things I noticed when I logged into my active driver account were all the documents they give you as part of your driver contract.

This is the kne when I was in Georgia
https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/city/atlanta/p2p/GA Addendum.pdf

Read section 2

When I moved to Texas they had a slightly different version
https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/city/dallas/p2p/TX Addendum.pdf

I'm willing to bet you have one for your state.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Obviously the purpose of the question was to see if anyone had any idea or similar circumstance. Isn't that the purpose of this forum? Advice? Seeking answers?

Regardless, I have already reported to Uber now, but just wanted to check here in case anyone had insightful information. Thanks y'all. Be blessed and be safe out there....

· Registered
9,688 Posts
Obviously the purpose of the question was to see if anyone had any idea or similar circumstance. Isn't that the purpose of this forum? Advice? Seeking answers?

Regardless, I have already reported to Uber now, but just wanted to check here in case anyone had insightful information. Thanks y'all. Be blessed and be safe out there....
Don't forget to pray they don't confirm if your insurance is valid.

Let us know how it turns out.

i wasnt trying to be rude but if your insurance denied you, what other option did you have besides telling Uber?

Unless you have enough cash to pay for the third party damage, but if youre driving Uber I highly doubt thats the case.

Good luck

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, thank you. It will all work out ok, I am sure. My brother owns a repair shop but it is out of town. I do have the money to pay out of pocket, but it will put a dent in my pocket, not to mention the time I am spending NOT Ubering. Just all around unfortunate situation but now I know and lesson learned.

Be safe out there.

· Registered
38 Posts
Best of luck to you man. If your State has TNC coverage that you can buy please do so before you get back on the road again. If there is no coverage then it is just too risky. It may be wise to wait until such coverage becomes available in your area. Of course if this is your only source of income I can see how this is easier said than done.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I will. I have friends in the legal field that deal with insurance claims and such and apparently my insurance just sucks, period. They are difficult to work with and I should have never gone with them after all. It is true that you get what you pay for. Sometimes saving an extra buck can cost you more. Lesson learned.

Standard Insurance is the company, btw. No bueno.

· Registered
38 Posts
I see. I used to live in Texas too. Insurance regulations are very lax over there. There are a ton of super shady insurance companies. I had one and I canceled it, it was very hard to get a refund. I had to fax them things I remember.

Here in NY its super complicated and strict. I tried to quote GEICO thinking that they offered TNC. There was a question asking if you use the car for ridesharing, I clicked yes and I was immediately thrown out, a screen said that they could not offer me coverage. I've tried to re-quote several times for just personal and as soon as I enter my info, I get the same screen, I don't even make it to enter the car information. I'm currently with State Farm for personal and I have stopped driving for uber until I get an official answer from my agent regarding State Farm's opinion on using my car for TNC part time, on day two and still waiting for his official reply. But no company is selling TNC in NY at this time. So everyone, arguably many without knowledge or thinking uber covers them, are risking their car and serious legal troubles while driving right now.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, what a pain. I am not sure who I will get after this, but I am going to make sure I get someone reputable and able to cover me for ridesharing bc I do enjoy Ubering for some extra easy money. Let me know what State Farm says too bc I have my life insurance through them and I was considering them for auto insurance moving forward, but only if they can cover me. I am going to research what I find out from other fellow Texans and insurance companies. Insurance companies really are a pain to deal with though. They have no problem taking your money but its always a hassle getting them to pay your claims. SMH.

· Registered
276 Posts
Just FYI, I had a collision while driving Uber in July. Had rideshare coverage with Allstate. I had a rider in my car and I was considered at fault.

So since I was on the app with a rider in the car, James River Insurance company was primary. Their deductible was $1000. My personal auto insurance with rideshare, Allstate, reimbursed me $500 for the deductible since that's all my decuctible with them is.

I reported to Uber immediately. Made multiple calls and emails to James River, however it took them 8 days to contact me. Everything they do is farmed out to someone else (all over the country.) Anyway, they were slow but determined my car was a total loss. They sent a check to the lien holder on the car. I was told by them they were calling it a total loss, but they never actually told me when they sent the payoff in. They pretty much didn't tell me anything except if I called them. They kept saying don't worry, we are taking care of everything. I only found out my rider and the other car's occupants were filing claims when I was called by their attorneys. But I guess James River will handle all of that.

Here is another lesson for my fellow drivers who have GAP insurance on their cars. If you don't know, GAP insurance pays off your car when there is a gap between what the insurance values your car at and what you owe. I had GAP insurance and after James River's payoff I still owed a bit over $1000. I was getting ready to file the GAP claim, when I saw in small print, that ride share is excluded. I wasn't doing Uber when I bought the car. So I was out of luck but thank God I didn't owe more.

Anyway it was a horrible experience but I'm continuing to drive Uber until a few more bills are paid off then I'm probably done. By the way as soon as I learned Lyft's deductible for their drivers is $2500 I quit driving for Lyft. I don't plan to get into any more collisions but I didn't expect the first one either.

· Registered
38 Posts
Just FYI, I had a collision while driving Uber in July. Had rideshare coverage with Allstate. I had a rider in my car and I was considered at fault.

So since I was on the app with a rider in the car, James River Insurance company was primary. Their deductible was $1000. My personal auto insurance with rideshare, Allstate, reimbursed me $500 for the deductible since that's all my decuctible with them is.

I reported to Uber immediately. Made multiple calls and emails to James River, however it took them 8 days to contact me. Everything they do is farmed out to someone else (all over the country.) Anyway, they were slow but determined my car was a total loss. They sent a check to the lien holder on the car. I was told by them they were calling it a total loss, but they never actually told me when they sent the payoff in. They pretty much didn't tell me anything except if I called them. They kept saying don't worry, we are taking care of everything. I only found out my rider and the other car's occupants were filing claims when I was called by their attorneys. But I guess James River will handle all of that.

Here is another lesson for my fellow drivers who have GAP insurance on their cars. If you don't know, GAP insurance pays off your car when there is a gap between what the insurance values your car at and what you owe. I had GAP insurance and after James River's payoff I still owed a bit over $1000. I was getting ready to file the GAP claim, when I saw in small print, that ride share is excluded. I wasn't doing Uber when I bought the car. So I was out of luck but thank God I didn't owe more.

Anyway it was a horrible experience but I'm continuing to drive Uber until a few more bills are paid off then I'm probably done. By the way as soon as I learned Lyft's deductible for their drivers is $2500 I quit driving for Lyft. I don't plan to get into any more collisions but I didn't expect the first one either.
I'm sorry to hear that but I am glad that everything turned out okay for you, seems like you didn't lose too much thankfully.
I wonder why the other people got attorneys? Are they suing you for damages besides seeking the usual compensation from a car accident?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.