Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picture it!
Construction on Tobin Bridge Saturday AM, Southbound (that's the top), three lane merging to ONE. Took me 36 minutes to get over it!
PAX in backseat
I'm in middle lane at stop
Dude in breakdown lane from Chelsea ramp comes out of no where squishing over, HITS me!
He wasn't even going to get out of car. I tooted horn he jumps out like a lunatic and says:
Him: Why you hit me?
Me: Why I hit you, you hit me, I'm just sitting here
Him: I never been in accident in my life
Me: funny, I've never been either!
Him: he says no damage it's OK no damage
Me: I say, no damage, no damage, see police at center span, pull over up there.
He gets back in truck and sees me take a photo of his license plate and jumps out again like a banshee screaming
Him: why you take picture?
Me: why not? Just pull over up there where police are and it's safe
Needless to say he didn't pull over where police were monitoring construction. It's not like he could speed away (LOL) because it was bumper to bumper all the way over the bridge and I wasn't worried because at least I had a photo of his license plate.
I dropped PAX off at destination.
She didn't have much to say during all of this and I played it down best I could.
After I dropped her off I pulled over to assess what he said was "no damage" and I was blown away!!!! I immediately went to MA State Police near Science Museum. They gave me crash report but told me the barracks handling bridge and tunnel is on Haul Road in Southie so I went over there.
The officer asked me what happened and I told him. He asked for my license and his plate number and went into back room. He came back out and said he's not supposed to give me his info but DID!
I went home and called MY insurance and filed a claim.
On Monday I dropped my car off at the body shop.
Wednesday MY insurance called and told me because I had a PAX and was driving for Uber that they were denying the claim but they had already authorized 7 day car rental and told me to keep that thru the 10th and I need to file claim with Uber or thru the guy who hit me AND she gave me the other guys claim # who ironically has the same insurance company as me if I wanted to pursue thru his policy!
I guess I'll go to Greenlight this AM and file a claim or do it online.
I will also go to my body shop and tell him my insurance denied the claim and see if he has experience in this regard, if going after the other guy insurance is better/faster or going thru Uber James River Insurance.
Why do I get the feeling this was all going smoothly albeit a big PIA and big inconvenience and I'm guessing will be lengthy process and I won't be able to drive unless I also get his insurance to pay for Uber authorized rental because why should any of this cost ME anything?
BIG QUESTION - So why do I guess he didn't stop at police on top of bridge if he was driving registered and insured Van? I don't know? He did appear unstable to me. Maybe he had alcohol on his breath or smell of weed in his truck or maybe he was hauling stolen stuff, I have no idea why he didn't stop knowing now that he was registered and insured.
Anything else peeps?

We are all still learning. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1. What impeeded your ability to assess the damage at the time of accident? This could prove to be the major “fly in the ointment.”

2. The second that man decided to leave the scene I would have been on threat level red.

3. The second that he didn’t pull over to police, he is now actively leaving the scene of a crime, and I would have called 911.

I wish you all the best in pursuing this matter forward.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Since the cat is out of the bag with your personal insurance (they know you were doing Uber at the time and denied the claim), go fully through James River at this point. They should claim against the other guy's insurance. Based upon what you said, it sounds like the other driver is fully at fault and I would push to pay nothing and have the other guy's insurance pay for all repairs. Keep the name of the pax handy if possible, as they may need to be a witness for you confirming when and where the accident took place and that you were not at fault.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. What impeeded your ability to assess the damage at the time of accident? This could prove to be the major "fly in the ointment."

2. The second that man decided to leave the scene I would have been on threat level red.

3. The second that he didn't pull over to police, he is now actively leaving the scene of a crime, and I would have called 911.

I wish you all the best in pursuing this matter forward.
1.) we were on top of a bridge in bumper to bumper traffic. The police were a few hundred yards ahead. Where was he going? I had his plate.
2.) the first police state I stop at suggested it was considered a hit & run but he only gave me the crash report paperwork and told me to go to barracks on Haul Rd. The Haul Rd officer said they don't ordinarily give print out of plate driver but he did. When I asked him if it was a hit and run, he said no, because he did get out and talk to me. I said but he didn't pull over to police at center span. That's prolly why he gave me his full details to pursue.
3.) maybe I should have but I believe I covered myself my way too

So I filed online www.jamesriverins etc etc and never got confirmation so I went to Uber Office in Saugus.
I filed from there. She said James River will contact me in 2-3 days. I asked how will I know it got filed since the one I filed earlier didn't get filed? She said you are deactivated until you send us photos car has been fixed, but you can drive another car if you are on the policy.
Oh BTW my insurance had already authorized my rental car thru Sunday and they said they would honor that.
My car has been at body shop since Monday. It'll be fixed before I can worry about needing another rental. The only question is, will the body shop give me the car without getting paid, yet?

Filing a claim with an Uber passenger in the back with your personal insurance is fraud. Just saying.
If that's fraud, it surely (and don't call me shirley) wasn't intentionally fraud. Someone hit me, call insurance.

why did you contact your personal insurance? Contact Uber and his insurance. You can get an Uber rental through hertz. Submit that to his insurance company for reimbursement.
Just didn't occur to me. Little accident, call my insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,903 Posts
Once James River contacts you can probably give them the bill and they'll give you that amount minus 1k. And yes you'll likely need to pay the body shop to get your car back.
Milky is out $1K regardless of fault? If the other party was found at fault why would she pay?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I can't see me ever being liable for a deductible, just doesn't make sense, just doesn't make sense that any of this should cost ME a penny but I get that this isn't a perfect world!

I think if I'm given a hard time by James River with the deductible (I'll cross that bridge, no pun intended, when I come to it) I'll figure out if we can go after the 3rd party for that. The part of the car (side passenger) pretty much proves his fault and #2 he didn't stop. If that's not Red flag guilt I don't know what is but I realize they don't care about stories, "just da facts".

With regard to getting my car back before the bill is paid, that's a stretch because I've dealt with him before and at this point he's pretty much a friend too but heck, business is business, I get it, so he'd have to feel real confident payment is forthcoming.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Ya I can't see me ever being liable for a deductible, just doesn't make sense, just doesn't make sense that any of this should cost ME a penny but I get that this isn't a perfect world!

I think if I'm given a hard time by James River with the deductible (I'll cross that bridge, no pun intended, when I come to it) I'll figure out if we can go after the 3rd party for that. The part of the car (side passenger) pretty much proves his fault and #2 he didn't stop. If that's not Red flag guilt I don't know what is but I realize they don't care about stories, "just da facts".

With regard to getting my car back before the bill is paid, that's a stretch because I've dealt with him before and at this point he's pretty much a friend too but heck, business is business, I get it, so he'd have to feel real confident payment is forthcoming.
If you have their information reach out to their insurance company as well. James river is pretty slow from my experience.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

When in an accident you should stop immediately or wherever is safe to do so. The other driver leaving is clearly leaving the scene of an accident. I would have pulled over and called 911 as another poster stated. If you leave the scene of the accident as well, which you did, then there is nothing the police can do to charge the other driver.

I would immediately switch insurance agency's. Your insurance agent is supposed to advocate on your behalf. Since you both have the same insurance carrier, your agent should be working on the claim with the other insured. I don't see how James River would be involved since you are not at fault. The other driver's insurance company should be paying.

You are the one who asked whether the auto body shop will release the car without being paid and then you claimed they are your friend, so why did you ask? An auto repair/body shop is under no obligation to release the vehicle until payment is received in full.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update - car is fixed and body shop allowed me to take it even tho they haven’t received payment.
3rd party aka the other guy (from what I can gather) says I hit him. “He say, she said. I told his adjuster funny how he didn’t stop and only because I filed a report at police station was I able to get his info and I suspect he called it in only because he knew he was probably looking at a “hit n run” charge. She said (paraphrasing) “we not the police, we just weigh liability”. I said ok, cool beans, maybe I can get the party in the back seat to write a statement as to who hit whom and then it will be a “she said she said he said”.

Then I went to Uber and showed them photos car was fixed to get reinstated and asked why I haven’t heard from James Rivers. She said according to notes it said since I didn’t send photos they didn’t think I was pursuing it. Duhhhh
I’m pursuing whoever will pay it other than ME.

I just got a note from James Rivers this hour that said upon review we can’t find a Driver under the name you’ve submitted. I wrote back, really, I’ve only driven for you 3+ years, look again!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Update - car is fixed and body shop allowed me to take it even tho they haven't received payment.
3rd party aka the other guy (from what I can gather) says I hit him. "He say, she said. I told his adjuster funny how he didn't stop and only because I filed a report at police station was I able to get his info and I suspect he called it in only because he knew he was probably looking at a "hit n run" charge. She said (paraphrasing) "we not the police, we just weigh liability". I said ok, cool beans, maybe I can get the party in the back seat to write a statement as to who hit whom and then it will be a "she said she said he said".

Then I went to Uber and showed them photos car was fixed to get reinstated and asked why I haven't heard from James Rivers. She said according to notes it said since I didn't send photos they didn't think I was pursuing it. Duhhhh
I'm pursuing whoever will pay it other than ME.

I just got a note from James Rivers this hour that said upon review we can't find a Driver under the name you've submitted. I wrote back, really, I've only driven for you 3+ years, look again!
You sound like a newbie surprised you've driven 3 years and had such little understanding of how to handle the situation.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts