Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had my first accident in 30 years last night. I was dropping off a PAX at a hotel---fare still in process, --- I was parked and a paper delivery van, (panel van--no windows) backs into the front of my car. There is a fair amount of damage because it was a heavy duty truck with a high, very sturdy all metal bumper that plowed into my front end. I was parked and the driver accepted full responsibility for the accident. I just got off the phone with his insurance company (progressive) and they have accepted full responsibility for the accident. I have a few thoughts in my mind and I would like to comments or real world experiences to guide me through the next few days. I will be glad to post my real world findings after I go through the process.
1. Anyone else have a real world accident case with Uber they can share with me? I was still on trip with a PAX in my vehicle. No injury to me or the PAX, low speed damage to my front end, airbags didn't deploy.
2. I tried to submit an accident report to Uber last night but the notification requires pictures or it won't let me send the accident report. The car is snow covered now so the pictures are pointless. I will clean the car off and send the pictures, ASAP.
3. The other driver and the insurance company have already accepted full liability for the accident. What types of issues will I have with my vehicle after the car is repaired if it is not totaled. Can they deny me driving rights for a vehicle that sustained an accident? what if they do it down the road to me? What rights do I have to get a rental vehicle that can still do Uber trips until my car gets repaired? Do they owe me any lost income until my car gets repaired? Can I use a rental car, approved by Uber until my car is repaired? Lots of questions with the Uber side of this accident. All comments, questions or life experiences very appreciated.
Cheers
B

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Well, I had my first accident in 30 years last night. I was dropping off a PAX at a hotel---fare still in process, --- I was parked and a paper delivery van, (panel van--no windows) backs into the front of my car. There is a fair amount of damage because it was a heavy duty truck with a high, very sturdy all metal bumper that plowed into my front end. I was parked and the driver accepted full responsibility for the accident. I just got off the phone with his insurance company (progressive) and they have accepted full responsibility for the accident. I have a few thoughts in my mind and I would like to comments or real world experiences to guide me through the next few days. I will be glad to post my real world findings after I go through the process.
1. Anyone else have a real world accident case with Uber they can share with me? I was still on trip with a PAX in my vehicle. No injury to me or the PAX, low speed damage to my front end, airbags didn't deploy.
2. I tried to submit an accident report to Uber last night but the notification requires pictures or it won't let me send the accident report. The car is snow covered now so the pictures are pointless. I will clean the car off and send the pictures, ASAP.
3. The other driver and the insurance company have already accepted full liability for the accident. What types of issues will I have with my vehicle after the car is repaired if it is not totaled. Can they deny me driving rights for a vehicle that sustained an accident? what if they do it down the road to me? What rights do I have to get a rental vehicle that can still do Uber trips until my car gets repaired? Do they owe me any lost income until my car gets repaired? Can I use a rental car, approved by Uber until my car is repaired? Lots of questions with the Uber side of this accident. All comments, questions or life experiences very appreciated.
Cheers
B
Seriously?
Accident in NJ??
More like incident in NJ.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I get your point but I am thankful that it wasn't more serious. Good news is the other driver already full responsibility and so did his insurance company but that still leaves some unanswered questions for me. Is his insurance company liable for a replacement rental car while my car is being repaired? What about lost income for me while my car is being repaired? What are the down stream consequences from Uber on my repaired car? Can they deny my use of it after an accident? Thanks for any input.
Cheers
B

BTW, I meant a rental car that I can use for Uber while my car is being repaired.

If not a rental car for Uber use, then lost income while my car is repaired?

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Uber needs the car inspected after an accident for it to be back on the road. Which is reasonable.

Also, your car is forever marked as being in an accident. If you ever want to sell the car.

Enterprise has a rental program with Uber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, good information. Because my car was damaged by the other driver and he is 100% liable for the accident then the insurance company of the other driver should be responsible for the cost of the Uber rental car fees until my car is replaced, correct? What about lost income? any ideas
Thanks again.
B

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Enterprise has a rental program with Uber. You will need to put down a deposit of $250, and your first week will be I believe $278.80 plus a $40 quick start fee. It will take you time, most likely to actually get a car. Your better option is probably to notify the other guys insurance and tell them the situation and tell them that you want them to pay for your rental car, understanding that you are an Uber driver and that this car is your livelihood. You will most likely put an excessive amount of miles on it during the time that you have it, and you expect them to cover that as well. See what they have to say. Progressive is usually pretty good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I planned on doing that tomorrow after the car goes to a repair shop for an estimate. I should get me rental car tomorrow as well.
Thank you
Cheers
B

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
If the person who hit you is accepting responsibility and their insurance company is paying, I wouldn't notify Uber. Nothing good can come from that.
I disagree 100% If the pax, who by the description above, was in the car when the incident happened, there is nothing stopping him from claiming a case of whiplash after the fact and making a police/insurance report. As there is a wildcard in this equation, honesty has to prevail. If said passenger did report after the fact and then in turn sue Goober, the driver and his insurance and then the driver of the damaging vehicle, the OP would be in for a world of shyt for a number of things mentioned above. Report it to Goober and let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
His insurance will cover a rental car for personal use, not an Uber one though. Those are done differently. Sorry this happened to you. I hope things work out.
I was in a car accident recently, but the app was off and I was alone in the car. I didn't report it to Uber obviously.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Enterprise has a rental program with Uber. You will need to put down a deposit of $250, and your first week will be I believe $278.80 plus a $40 quick start fee. It will take you time, most likely to actually get a car. Your better option is probably to notify the other guys insurance and tell them the situation and tell them that you want them to pay for your rental car, understanding that you are an Uber driver and that this car is your livelihood. You will most likely put an excessive amount of miles on it during the time that you have it, and you expect them to cover that as well. See what they have to say. Progressive is usually pretty good.
Suze do you think Progressive will contact 'his' insurance and create a problem for him driving Uber?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Suze do you think Progressive will contact 'his' insurance and create a problem for him driving Uber?
Progressive wants this closed immediately. Last thing they want is him or the passenger to "develop injuries" they'd be foolish to contact his insurance

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I have no idea. If he had passengers in the car, and he notifies Uber comma there's no issue because they will notify James River. If he handed over his own insurance card instead of his way Bill and its Associated information with James River, it's getting messy.

Seriously, while it may not always be smooth, it's usually better to tell the truth right from the get-go. Once you start with a lie, you have to tell another lie to cover it up and another lie to cover that one up and it just gets insane. You have to have a really really good memory to be a good liar and not get caught.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the comments. My car is going to the Ins companies preferred body shop this morning, Shore Auto Body and Painting in Neptune City. Has anybody used them before? If I let them do the work then the ins company gives me a life time warranty on the repair work, not a bad option. Has anyone heard of a car being invalidated to drive for Uber based upon the amount of damage? I am going to demand OEM replacement parts and no salvage parts be in my quote.

2nd option---lf the car gets totaled because of the damage I would expect to get an exact replacement car for my car. Anyone have any experience with dealing with an insurance company if the accident was 100% the other drivers responsibility. I agree Progressive will want this closed immediately but I also want to make sure I get treated fairly. Does Progressive have responsibility for my lost income if I can prove i have a substantial income from driving for Uber? I do not have another vehicle I can drive for Uber until my primary car gets repaired.

Thank you very much for the information and comments. It really helps to get good feedback and I hope I can return the favor down the road.
Cheers
B

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had an incident where I couldn't avoid something in the road an it torn up my front end. I had a 2006 Nissan Altima and they totaled the car due to the cost of the repair versus resale value. I found out that Uber has a $1000 deductible on their policy and they don't allow you to drive a car that was once totaled but repaired. In my case, because I live in South Jersey with loads of deer running around, I carry a $100 deductible. I have a friend who hit 7 deer if a year. That gets costly with just a regular $500 deductible. It was reeeeal cheap to lower my deductible to $100. So if I had the choice to claim it on my insurance or on Uber's insurance, It would be on mine. However, if you already contacted them and said that you had passengers in the car, you shouldn't change it unless you want to risk lying to insurance companies. That risk is left to you.

Note: My personal mechanic was able to fix the car with used parts for $300 and I sold it for $2900 with full disclosure of the accident and repair. I got $3100 from Uber insurance and replaced it with another 2006 Altima for $2300.!

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
This is the thing, after all. If you lie to your insurance company and tell them that this accident took place while you were using your car personal reasons and not work-related, you're actually committing insurance fraud. If you don't get caught you don't get caught. If you do get caught you could find yourself in a position where you can never get car insurance again, and possibly go to jail. Very few people do end up going to jail if they're able to make restitution, but it still has to be mentioned as a possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
.... I had a 2006 Nissan Altima and they totaled the car due to the cost of the repair versus resale value .....

.... Note: My personal mechanic was able to fix the car with used parts for $300 and I sold it for $2900 with full disclosure of the accident and repair. I got $3100 from Uber insurance and replaced it with another 2006 Altima for $2300.!
So when the car is totaled and you get the money from the insurance you get to keep the car?

I have never been on this position nor know anyone that has been therefore my question.. just want to know more details for future reference... thx!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am too honest to lie about even small things so I would never lie about important things, just the way I am wired. I did notify Uber ASAP about being parked with the PAX still in my car (just completing my trip) and also about the driver's insurance company (Progressive) accepting full liability for the accident----after all I was parked, so I am clear with all those issues.
With that being said however, the other issues are still significant. I do not have a primary vehicle to drive for Uber right now; My car is difficult to replace because it was an AWD vehicle---hard to find older cars with AWD that do not come from states like, Mass., Me or Vermont---(I call them salt ridden winter rats). If I get the vehicle repaired can Uber deactivate my account now or down the road because of a car fax report that said my car has had major repairs done to it. I do not know if this is true but I heard from a somewhat reliable source that a few years back, Uber kicked 100,000 cars nationally off their system because their cars had car faxes with significant repair work itemized (can anyone confirm this?). I have the whole resale value of the car being lower because of the accident and of course I have the warranty issues after the car is repaired. I may just go for a total loss and buy a new vehicle (which will take at least a week or two to find/reg etc). Does any one know if the insurance company has any liability for my lost income and inconvenience, etc?
Any help really appreciated.
cheers
B

By real world, I meant actual experience not intelligent guesses. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.