Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh.. So a pax was on the phone and mentioned something about getting to San Antonio with a rental car or something. To be nice, I offered a ride one way to San An. He offered ~$50 in gas + ~$70-$90 for the trip its self. It would be a cash trip, paid up front. We exchanged numbers. I know you must think i'm crazy, but consider my situation: i'm $180 past due on a credit bill, $60 past due on internet bill. This trip would take care of alot of that for me.

Does anyone have an experience like this? Recommendations? I saw an article where an uber driver was banned from the platform for something similar, although it was from 2015, and idk how credible (if at all) of an article it is.

Considering my situation, what would you guys do? Honestly not sure if i should go thru with it or not.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If Uber found out you did this? Absolutely they would terminate your account. That's why when posting in this forum you NEVER is your name, your real picture and don't post screen shots or say anything that gives away your identity in any way. Many people have been tracked down and terminated from Uber, simply for things SAID here, and for things that had nothing to do with driving.

If you don't have commercial insurance to cover your liability if you get in an accident, you have to ask if the risk is worth the reward. You think being past due on $240 of bills is bad? That's pennies of what your will be in debt if the rider goes after you for something (legitimate or not), or you get in an accident and your insurance finds out you were giving someone a ride for fee and drops your policy and backs out of any claim.

If was me? No. At very extreme worst, I would at least run it through Uber and stop the fare where ever the persons money runs out. But you need to ask that person if they would prefer little or no insurance, or a million $$$ umbrella policy from Uber covering their trip.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with everyone else. That's a crazy low ball figure. Its cash money which I get and it would gross you $140. But consider:

1. Uber will throw you off the platform if found out
2. Unlikely, but if you wreck and the guy is hurt, oh shit.
3. Look at the finances. $140 gross. Its at least 180 miles each way so round trip is 360 miles. With good mileage you are going to use at least 12 gallons of gas. Considering the prices this week call that $28. Gross just got lowered to $112.
4. Its at least 6 hrs RT with no stops. Factor in one 20 minute stop and your looking at $17.69 an hour. Good but way too little for taking on #1 and #2 above. Factor in depreciation and other costs and your closer to $16 an hour.
5. All those dead miles coming back. You would have to wait until Katy maybe to get a request.

The guy is cheap as hell. Any car service and this is at least $500-$600 minimum as a one way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was curious so I looked, the Uber fare estimated $211. Which really is cheap so as a driver, you would gross out about $150 give or take. Either way that is shit. The only reasonable way to do would be for him to pay for your return trip, it should be $230 for you. Sounds like a hassle and a MegaBus ticket is like $20-$30. People are dumb.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The "daddy" that paid for your brand new car doesn't pay the bills?

Anyway... I found out that this is illegal. Nothing wrong with giving rides for cash. But using the platform to get passengers THEN cutting out the platform owner is illegal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a passenger say they quoted a trip from Austin to Houston (using the App) and that trip was $300.
San Antonio for anything less is ridiculous. 6+ hrs round trip minimum.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Uh.. So a pax was on the phone and mentioned something about getting to San Antonio with a rental car or something. To be nice, I offered a ride one way to San An. He offered ~$50 in gas + ~$70-$90 for the trip its self. It would be a cash trip, paid up front. We exchanged numbers. I know you must think i'm crazy, but consider my situation: i'm $180 past due on a credit bill, $60 past due on internet bill. This trip would take care of alot of that for me.

Does anyone have an experience like this? Recommendations? I saw an article where an uber driver was banned from the platform for something similar, although it was from 2015, and idk how credible (if at all) of an article it is.

Considering my situation, what would you guys do? Honestly not sure if i should go thru with it or not.
Well, Uber will find out now since you posted but I don't see anything wrong doing what you need to do to get by. I think this dude is shortchanging you though and I'd not do it for $70 or even $90. That's more than 6 hours in the car. I'd charge him $250 total. Get your own gas. Nothing less.

Also, you're in Houston. Credit cards are waiving late fees. Call your card carrier and get them to credit back those fees and extend you the same courtesy all others are getting. They'll do it. Do the same with xfinity or internet whatever.

I post in my nextdoor app that I do airport runs and I charge a flat fee of $25 to hobby and $40 to Bush. During am and pm rush I charge $10 more. I will never ever ever go to the airport on a Friday from 3pm-8. Eff that. It brings in steady slush money and you'd be banking way more and doing way less car wear and tear doing this. And in the 40+ rides I've given neighbors--jeesh probably more, only 2 have not tipped. It's a great gig. Loooove it!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.