Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This company has caused so many problems in my life!! Making so many people homeless!! Such a corrupt, cheating, sour, greedy, disgusting lying company that I hope goes bankrupt and everyone goes broke, and stocks fail!!! I can't even imagine, how bad it is now!! California State Assemblywoman, Lorena Gonzalez, takes a stand to fight for rideshare driver employee rights

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
This company has caused so many problems in my life!! Making so many people homeless!! Such a corrupt, cheating, sour, greedy, disgusting lying company that I hope goes bankrupt and everyone goes broke, and stocks fail!!! I can't even imagine, how bad it is now!! California State Assemblywoman, Lorena Gonzalez, takes a stand to fight for rideshare driver employee rights
A company does not make a person homeless, it's the bad choices in life that lead to that. I hope Uber and Lyft depart CA after this nonsense passes.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Usually when CA does something like AB5, everyone(other states) follows. Especially if there is tax $$$ involved.
You do realize that every Uber ride is taxed by the state? In MA, $.05 goes to the taxi industry (to subsidize their failing product) and $.20 goes to MA. Over 81M rides last year, pretty good amount of subsidy and taxes lost if Uber leaves. I don't see anyone else following this, CA no longer leads by example.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Tell us how you really feel about Lyft. :eek: :biggrin: :roflmao:

A company does not make a person homeless, it's the bad choices in life that lead to that.
Right on! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
It's true that California is their biggest market... but given both companies are losing money, that means California is where they are losing the most. They stand to lose less money while they leave California to fight back.

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
It's true that California is their biggest market... but given both companies are losing money, that means California is where they are losing the most. They stand to lose less money while they leave California to fight back.
Two of the biggest markets are San Francisco and Los Angeles. By leaving California if you mean shutting down operations, it's a lose-lose situation for both companies.

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
Two of the biggest markets are San Francisco and Los Angeles. By leaving California if you mean shutting down operations, it's a lose-lose situation for both companies.
Neither company has a plan to win (become profitable)... outside of winning the autonomous vehicle research race... which both companies are currently losing.

Their stocks are tanking as investors come to realize this.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
You are so funny! :laugh: You are the only one who caused so many problems in your life when you made poor decisions, not Lyft. Education is key to success. Lyft is just a company that helps people to make some cash on the side and does not expect being a main source of income for you. So there is no point to be so mad. Everything is in your hands. If you aren't happy, just move on...

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Neither company has a plan to win (become profitable)... outside of winning the autonomous vehicle research race... which both companies are currently losing.

Their stocks are tanking as investors come to realize this.
this is true. And yet neither company is willing to abandon any market until they're entirely kicked out of said Market. Take Austin in London for example. Uber lost big-time in most of mainland Europe, and most of Asia.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Typical victim mentality. Like Ssgcraig and Selector19 said, it isn't Lyft's fault if people are poor or if you're in the ditch. With the economy the way it is, there are plenty of opportunities for people to make money. Lyft and Uber aren't being fair but it's not as if they're forcing you to work for them, or that they're the only way to put food on the table or a roof over your head.

·
Premium Member
23,117 Posts
You do realize that every Uber ride is taxed by the state? In MA, $.05 goes to the taxi industry (to subsidize their failing product) and $.20 goes to MA. Over 81M rides last year, pretty good amount of subsidy and taxes lost if Uber leaves. I don't see anyone else following this, CA no longer leads by example.
I think he means individual income tax.

If you have a good accountant you pay minimal taxes on Uber/Lyft income. CA has a few hundred thousand drivers and most pay no taxes. THAT'S what states with an income tax, and the IRS, are salivating over.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Check out this info from Taxi2Uber :

(For the record, I'm NOT Pro-AB5)

Employers are not required to reimburse you for mileage in most states.

If your employer reimburses you for mileage, you must keep a record of your driving.
If not, you still need to maintain a mileage log as documentation to deduct the standard rate mileage allowance on your taxes.

If an employer pays less than the standard rate, you can still deduct the un-reimbursed portion of the standard rate on your tax return.

However, some states have their own laws surrounding expense reimbursement. Those states include: Illinois, California, Massachusetts, Montana, Pennsylvania, New York, Iowa, and the District of Columbia.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In CA:
Although the mileage reimbursement method is common practice for reimbursing employees, the California Supreme Court ruled in the case of Gattuso v. Harte-Hank Shoppers that an employer may use any of the following methods to reimburse employees for expenses incurred in the course of their employment duties:

Actual-expense method: Automobile expenses that the employee actually and necessarily incurred are calculated and then paid separately. Although this method may be more accurate, it also requires employers to maintain detailed records of the various expenses incurred by the employee, such as gas, insurance, depreciation and repairs.
Mileage reimbursement method: When an employer uses the mileage reimbursement method to determine the amount of reimbursement due, the employee keeps a record of the number of miles driven to perform job duties. The employee then submits this information to the employer, who multiplies the work-required miles driven by a predetermined amount that approximates the per-mile cost of owning and operating an automobile. The federal IRS rate, which is based on national average expenses, is a widely used and accepted mileage reimbursement rate. An employer may also set a rate less than the IRS rate as long as the rate is based on objective evidence reflecting the average cost in the geographic area where the work is performed.
Lump-sum payment: The employee is paid a lump-sum amount sufficient to provide full reimbursement for actual expenses incurred. However, if an employee shows that the reimbursement amount is less than the actual expenses incurred, the employer must make up the difference. With this method, an employer can further satisfy its statutory business-expense reimbursement obligation by paying employees enhanced compensation in the form of increases in base salary or commission rates, provided the employer establishes some means to identify the portion of overall compensation that is intended as expense reimbursement. The identified expense amount must be separately identified on the employee's wage statement.
Whichever method an employer chooses, if an employee can show that the reimbursement provided, even the IRS mileage rate, does not cover the actual expenses incurred, the employer is required to pay the difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition:
Cellphones

A California court has held that employers must reimburse employees when they are required to use their personal cellphones for work. If the actual cost of an employee's cellphone use for work cannot be determined-for example, if an employee has an unlimited minutes/texting plan-the employer is required to reimburse the employee for a "reasonable percentage" of the personal cellphone bill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insurance
What I haven't seen discussed by the Pro-AB5 folks is the possible addition/coverage they might have to pay for Insurance.
Get ready to pay more for insurance.

When employees will be driving their own cars for work,
there are several actions you can take as an employer to mitigate risk.
Purchase Hired and Non-owned Coverage:
Any company that allows or requires employees to use their personal vehicles for business should either purchase hired and non-owned coverage or add it to an existing automobile policy. Hired coverage is for situations in which autos are not owned by the company or the driver, and non-owned coverage protects the company against liability when vehicles that are owned by employees are used on behalf of the company. In the event of an accident, these policies supplement the driver's personal auto policy, which is typically activated first. For minimal yearly premiums, these policies generally protect the company only, not the car or the driver.

As a condition to employment and thereafter at least on a yearly basis, those employees driving personal vehicles should be required to provide:

• Proof of a driver's license
  • Motor vehicle safety inspection certificates
  • Copy of insurance certificates proving liability coverage at or above an established company limit including personal injury and medical limits
  • Proof that the employee has declared the use of the auto for business to his or her insurer
  • Exhaustive lists of all prescribed controlled medications

·
Premium Member
7,926 Posts
Most of those subsidies go towards the purchase of wheelchair accessable taxis, do you know how many uber has gotten on the road ever?

Yeah not a dang one. Who would willingly take an XL vehicle, turn it into an X by reducing the passenger count, and then deal with the extra hassle of loading someone in a power wheelchair and taking 5 minutes to secure them by strapping them down properly?

(it's hard work, to be honest I took out one of those taxis all of one time, ever, money was good but dang)

for X rates?

Yeah that's a really low subset of drivers to the point of nonexistent.

Why do taxi drivers put up with it?

(speaking for the company i drive for) they have to throw so many bones to those drivers to make it worth it that... it's actually worth it.

Typical victim mentality. Like Ssgcraig and Selector19 said, it isn't Lyft's fault if people are poor or if you're in the ditch. With the economy the way it is, there are plenty of opportunities for people to make money. Lyft and Uber aren't being fair but it's not as if they're forcing you to work for them, or that they're the only way to put food on the table or a roof over your head.
Way to use the ol' child sweatshop argument to justify sub minimum wage.

Typical victim mentality. Like other's have said, it isn't the sweatshops fault if children are poor or in the ditch. With the economy the way it is, there are plenty of opportunities for families to make money. sweatshops aren't being fair but it's not as if they're forcing the children to work for them, or that they're the only way to put food on the table or a roof over their head.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Most of those subsidies go towards the purchase of wheelchair accessable taxis, do you know how many uber has gotten on the road ever?

Yeah not a dang one. Who would willingly take an XL vehicle, turn it into an X by reducing the passenger count, and then deal with the extra hassle of loading someone in a power wheelchair and taking 5 minutes to secure them by strapping them down properly?

(it's hard work, to be honest I took out one of those taxis all of one time, ever, money was good but dang)

for X rates?

Yeah that's a really low subset of drivers to the point of nonexistent.

Why do taxi drivers put up with it?

(speaking for the company i drive for) they have to throw so many bones to those drivers to make it worth it that... it's actually worth it.
My point was, if Uber leaves CA, CA looses that tax money. Post the breakdown of where the subsidies go. I doubt $4M dollars went to making taxis wheelchair equipped in MA, let alone in CA. There are companies that specialize in that.

I think he means individual income tax.

If you have a good accountant you pay minimal taxes on Uber/Lyft income. CA has a few hundred thousand drivers and most pay no taxes. THAT'S what states with an income tax, and the IRS, are salivating over.
No, I mean every ride is taxed by MA. $.20 for the state, and $.05 goes to the failing taxi industry. That doesn't include the airport fee either.

Every ride in the US some subsidy goes to the antiquated taxi industry.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Way to use the ol' child sweatshop argument to justify sub minimum wage.

Typical victim mentality. Like other's have said, it isn't the sweatshops fault if children are poor or in the ditch. With the economy the way it is, there are plenty of opportunities for families to make money. sweatshops aren't being fair but it's not as if they're forcing the children to work for them, or that they're the only way to put food on the table or a roof over their head.
Different situation. Those children out in Thailand and China don't have other options. We do. There are TONS of places hiring that will pay at least what U/L are paying.

I'm not defending U/L for one minute. Yes, they don't pay enough and yes, they're crooked. But take ownership for your own situation. If U/L didn't exist, most of the people complaining about pay would still be complaining about pay at whatever other job they has, assuming it was low paying like U/L.

Get a damn education - academic or trade. Improve yourself by constantly learning and getting experience. People say that the U.S. isn't what it once was and maybe they're right. I wasn't fed with a silver spoon. More like a wood spoon. I came from a poor family where the last three generations didn't get an education and by legal standards, were in the poverty bracket. I hacked my way through college, working part time and eeking out every little scholarship I could so I didn't graduate with $40K worth of student loans like today's idiots. Got a technical degree, not something useless like history, philosophy or gender studies. Got an entry level science based position and worked my way up. 15 years later make more than enough to live in a nice home, drive a nice car, have no debt other than a house payment, have a good retirement account and support a wife that can stay at home with my 4 children. It can be done. But not by relying on Uber or Lyft.

Assuming you're able bodied and minded, there's no reason you can't do the same. For those that aren't, yes, they need assistance. But that's the exception.

·
Premium Member
23,117 Posts
No, I mean every ride is taxed by MA. $.20 for the state, and $.05 goes to the failing taxi industry. That doesn't include the airport fee either.

Every ride in the US some subsidy goes to the antiquated taxi industry.
D.C. area has similar fees. D.C. itself has very high fees for Uber/Lyft rides, since the D.C. Government never met a tax/fee it didn't like. @Another Uber Driver can give a breakdown of them as well as what effect they have on cabs as that's his specialty.

My point stands. State and federal taxing authorities will get tired of not being able to get anything from Uber/Lyft drivers. One benefit (not the primary motivation) of AB5 is if drivers are paid a "living wage" then eventually some of those wages will find their way into tax coffers.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
D.C. area has similar fees. D.C. itself has very high fees for Uber/Lyft rides, since the D.C. Government never met a tax/fee it didn't like. @Another Uber Driver can give a breakdown of them as well as what effect they have on cabs as that's his specialty.

My point stands. State and federal taxing authorities will get tired of not being able to get anything from Uber/Lyft drivers. One benefit (not the primary motivation) of AB5 is if drivers are paid a "living wage" then eventually some of those wages will find their way into tax coffers.
Uber drivers are not the only ones claiming mileage, plenty of other people use their personal cars working W2 jobs. Before Uber, there was a mileage write off. If they are tired of it, re-write the tax code.

The only way the "taxing authorities" (IRS) will get more revenue from Uber drivers is if they lower the amount per mile claimed, or Uber drivers are not using their personal cars. Becoming an employee doesn't negate the mileage write off. Not using our personal vehicles does.

My point stands, Uber needs to make an example of CA and leave. This is CA were are talking about, not the Federal Government.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
How does Lyft make people homeless? and are you implying that horrible Uber is any better?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It would be a huge PR problem if both companies fled the state where they're headquartered, leaving their corporate employees unable to utilize the service they work for.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts