Uber Drivers Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I've been weekend driving for uber for about 6-7 weeks and my overall rating quickly went from a steady 4.75 to 4.66 just in the last couple weeks. My week to week score two weeks ago was 4.59 and this past week's was 4.43.(both scores taken from summary emails).

I decided to look a little deeper into just this past weeks rating(4.43) with info from Uber's summary email. I was rated on 31 rides, with 19 of those being 5-stars at 4.43,. Definitely not great, but it made me very curious as to what the other twelve non 5-star ratings were at. So I tried a little excel breakdown(shown below).

Column A shows there is no way the remaining non 5-star ratings could of been fours, even with one 1-star. that would of put me at 4.52. The remaining columns show various breakdowns of how the ratings could of panned out. Column D shows the least number of 4-stars I could of received and still hit ~4.43

So it looks like Column B or C is where I probably landed. Over this weekend there were a couple fares that I could see rating me on the low end. One, a group of seven, yes seven people that wanted a ride and ended up splitting up to four in order for me to take them. Second was a group of three ladies and a guy that that complained of Halloween night traffic and required me to pull over for one of them to puke. Of course they spent part of the ride complaining and whispering amoungst themselves. Then third was a lady who once I hit her drop off address swore on the bible I passed it up. I had to go back and forth on the street till of course her girlfriends came pouring out of the very address I originally stopped at.

View attachment 2088

So here I am thinking anything other than a 5-star is a 1-star, but it seems not the case. I think most people rated me at 4-stars thinking this is amazon or yelp. Not knowing dropping to 4-stars overall would probably put me on uber-probation.

I will add that I get complimented on my car's leg room, cleanliness and appearance(12' sonata). That includes some riders thinking the car is new(thanks air freshener). I engage in conversation if they start it up and greet riders on entry/exit.
Hello, how can i view my ratings. I dont see it on my summary. Please help

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hello amd thank you. I can see my overall but i am talking about the individual rides ratings
You can't - well not easily. I think there are threads on here that will tell you how to do it - I'm too lazy to type the process out. And honestly, working out individual ratings is more trouble than it's worth.

I also believe the Dashboard has been changed to make it even harder to work out what individual PAX rated you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can't - well not easily. I think there are threads on here that will tell you how to do it - I'm too lazy to type the process out. And honestly, working out individual ratings is more trouble than it's worth.

I also believe the Dashboard has been changed to make it even harder to work out what individual PAX rated you.
Thank you. I just figured theres a way because of the gentleman that was able to lay out his ratings. I feel that i have done excellent but my rating dropped to 4.63. I have been doing it for only a week. Would like to know where i am going wrong.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Just keep doing what you are doing, don't let the ratings stress you out, if you think the ratings bring stress, wait till you see your weekly invoice, then after deducting your fuel costs and car expenses and what you will be left with, the ratings will be the last thing on your mind. Keep all your receipts and track your mileage, you will need to keep track of your expenses, as you will receive a 1099 at the end of the year.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just keep doing what you are doing, don't let the ratings stress you out
Not the best advice. I was deactivated a week ago for having a "2 week rating below 4.4". Didn't matter that my overall rating was 4.70 or that my rating had been firm between 4.85 and 4.90 prior to NYE. Seems you now need to worry not only about your overall rating but your weekly rating as well. The <4.4 was also based on a small sample size of <= 16 trips btw. I know this because my weekly summary for 12/29 - 1/5 said I'd had "14 rated trips in the past two weeks", and I only did 2 trips the week of 1/6 - 1/12, so the max number of trips I could've been rated on was 16.

I'm a spreadsheet guy too. That personality type is generally a different one than say that of a salesman or someone in marketing. Unfortunately I think this can be a deciding factor in ratings, as some riders may reserve 5-stars for the driver who's an entertaining clown or who feels like "an old friend" in how he/she converses with them. While a less exciting personality gets a 4. If you have the bad luck to have a two-week stretch where you get a 1, and then a few 4's for great rides but no jimmy kimmel style entertainment, you could be out soon too.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
When I started driving Uber in Philly in 2015, I got off to a rough start. I think my first pax gave me one star. My overall driving rating initially leveled out around 4.4. I contemplated deactivating myself after Uber sent me a warning about my low rating. For a few months, I drove the minimum just to keep my account active and since I had picked up another part-time job anyway.

After quitting that job, I drove Uber more. I also gave myself a "que sera sera" ratings attitude. With my new attitude and experience, my rating gradually rose into the 4.6 bracket for a long time and, recently, to 4.72.

Most recently, my rating dipped to 4.71, my first dip in quite some time. I'm guessing it was a tough ride I had with a quiet guy in South Philly. Basically, I wish I had used Waze rather than the Uber GPS.

First problem was not following Uber GPS wanting me to take South Broad Street. Since I thought I might have trouble later turning left off of Broad Street, I took one-way South 17th Street instead down to Washington Avenue with intent to turn left, only to find police had blocked off that block of Washington Avenue due to a large crane and construction. So policeman forced all traffic to go west on Washington Avenue. Two blocks later, I turned South down South 19th Street, east on another street, and back east on Washington Avenue to get back on track.

Finally, rider destination was on the 500 block of a little east-west street. Common sense should have told me to turn South down South Sixth Street to access his one-way street between Sixth and Fifth Streets. Uber GPS, however, advised me to turn South past South Sixth Street onto a little street called Randolph Street. I passed South Sixth Street. Pax said nothing. I see Randolph Street with a "Do Not Enter - One Way" signage! So I had to drive another one and a half blocks to turn right at South Fourth Street, then backtrack to South Sixth Street, and finally access his destination street.

As soon as I passed that "Do Not Enter" sign, I advised pax of the GPS erroneous instruction, apologized, and told him I was hitting "completed trip" a little early at that time to compensate so he would be charged nothing more for the extra half mile. Pax merely replied "okay" but in a resigned sort of tone. At destination, I apologized for the unanticipated long trip. He didn't say much of anything. I think my earning for that UberX ended up being around $5.80.

Usually, I use Waze only if I anticipate urban density issues. South Philly usually is a rather standard trip without issues mid-day. I certainly did not anticipate Uber GPS instructing me to turn the wrong way down a one-way street and bypassing the correct street.
Just have to get back on the horse and apply more common sense in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I started driving Uber in Philly in 2015, I got off to a rough start. I think my first pax gave me one star. My overall driving rating initially leveled out around 4.4. I contemplated deactivating myself after Uber sent me a warning about my low rating. For a few months, I drove the minimum just to keep my account active and since I had picked up another part-time job anyway.

After quitting that job, I drove Uber more. I also gave myself a "que sera sera" ratings attitude. With my new attitude and experience, my rating gradually rose into the 4.6 bracket for a long time and, recently, to 4.72.

Most recently, my rating dipped to 4.71, my first dip in quite some time. I'm guessing it was a tough ride I had with a quiet guy in South Philly. Basically, I wish I had used Waze rather than the Uber GPS.

First problem was not following Uber GPS wanting me to take South Broad Street. Since I thought I might have trouble later turning left off of Broad Street, I took one-way South 17th Street instead down to Washington Avenue with intent to turn left, only to find police had blocked off that block of Washington Avenue due to a large crane and construction. So policeman forced all traffic to go west on Washington Avenue. Two blocks later, I turned South down South 19th Street, east on another street, and back east on Washington Avenue to get back on track.

Finally, rider destination was on the 500 block of a little east-west street. Common sense should have told me to turn South down South Sixth Street to access his one-way street between Sixth and Fifth Streets. Uber GPS, however, advised me to turn South past South Sixth Street onto a little street called Randolph Street. I passed South Sixth Street. Pax said nothing. I see Randolph Street with a "Do Not Enter - One Way" signage! So I had to drive another one and a half blocks to turn right at South Fourth Street, then backtrack to South Sixth Street, and finally access his destination street.

As soon as I passed that "Do Not Enter" sign, I advised pax of the GPS erroneous instruction, apologized, and told him I was hitting "completed trip" a little early at that time to compensate so he would be charged nothing more for the extra half mile. Pax merely replied "okay" but in a resigned sort of tone. At destination, I apologized for the unanticipated long trip. He didn't say much of anything. I think my earning for that UberX ended up being around $5.80.

Usually, I use Waze only if I anticipate urban density issues. South Philly usually is a rather standard trip without issues mid-day. I certainly did not anticipate Uber GPS instructing me to turn the wrong way down a one-way street and bypassing the correct street.
Just have to get back on the horse and apply more common sense in the future.
Great story.
I don't know if this helps. May ratings have never dipped lower than 4.85 now they hover between 4.93 & 4.95
I try to give limo level service. I send a text from the copy buffer introducing myself and letting them know my intent is to add a bit of joy to their day. I offer ice water (from a small ice chest), charging cables (2 android and 2 iPhone), aux cord for them to enjoy what ever music they like, and a few other amenities (my secret). Then I stay open to any conversation or leave them silence if they prefer. I hear lots of "Best Uber driver ever" comments, but as noted at the top... I don't have a perfect score. I don't know if on board WiFi or a cappuccino machine would help, but I doubt it.

The ratings for both drivers or riders is entirely subjective. Some people are just haters... It is what it is.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Great story.
I don't know if this helps. May ratings have never dipped lower than 4.85 now they hover between 4.93 & 4.95
I try to give limo level service. I send a text from the copy buffer introducing myself and letting them know my intent is to add a bit of joy to their day. I offer ice water (from a small ice chest), charging cables (2 android and 2 iPhone), aux cord for them to enjoy what ever music they like, and a few other amenities (my secret). Then I stay open to any conversation or leave them silence if they prefer. I hear lots of "Best Uber driver ever" comments, but as noted at the top... I don't have a perfect score. I don't know if on board WiFi or a cappuccino machine would help, but I doubt it.

The ratings for both drivers or riders is entirely subjective. Some people are just haters... It is what it is.
I hope you get tips for all that. If you are doing all of that simply for a ratings boost you are definitely losing money.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
YOU need to work on avoiding the one star. NO ATTEMPTS at making the cheap ass pax happy when your little voice senses trouble.

if you show up and 5 or 6 are standing there, CANCEL!, drive off. the 3/4 pax you drive will down rate you.
if the pax calls before you get there and asks why you are taking so long, CANCEL! no good will come of this high expectation pax.

Know your city, be friendly until you sense they would rather stare at their phone, explain why you are using waze/gps (to avoid traffic!)
don't argue, no politics/race/religion. don't bash uber/lyft. tell them you LOVE your job because _________ .

clean car, clean driver who knows the city with a good personality is key.... and avoiding the one star.
Yesterday I picked up a pool pax. I forgot to immediately hit stop requests. Therefore a 2nd rider was added. The 2nd rider called me and asked me to hurry up and pick her up because she has class in 10 min. I then cancelled on 2nd rider since I would not get her to her class in 10 min and therefore I avoided a low rating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope you get tips for all that. If you are doing all of that simply for a ratings boost you are definitely losing money.
Cost of text..nothing
cost of cables...negligible
cost of ice...nothing
cost of conversation...nothing
cost of water.... I go through 36 bottles about every 100 rides ...costs $3
but yea the tips more than cover any costs

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yesterday I picked up a pool pax. I forgot to immediately hit stop requests. Therefore a 2nd rider was added. The 2nd rider called me and asked me to hurry up and pick her up because she has class in 10 min. I then cancelled on 2nd rider since I would not get her to her class in 10 min and therefore I avoided a low rating.
great point.

I cringe when I get a pickup request at a metro station. I hate to follow a bad day at work and a metro ride.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I totally agree with LAuberX.. one time a pax texted me 'can you hurry up please... thank you lol :),' when I was half way there, I promptly cancelled. This past weekend, I realized a guy totally misplaced his pin after calling him to confirm where he was, but he went off and yelled 'where the F*CK are you!!!,' so that was another cancel...
I had a situation where I arrive at the pin. I wait. I get a call. I say hello. The pax says hello. I say "who is this?" The pax says in a nasty tone "I'm your passenger!" I tell him I arrived at the pin. He says in a nasty tone "what is the pin!" I cancel!

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Knowing her dilemma you should have driven away from her. Not only would she have to cancel out of desperation for a new Uber you would have gotten a fee and it wouldn't go on your cancel rate.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Don't worry about your stupid ratings! If you're always working weekends 4.4 is GOOD! Want higher rating then stop working weekends.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
View attachment 97897 A gift for gab makes your ratings fab.
Only a rookie is impressed by stats, it's all about earnings.

That said the other two are hurting you. A zero percent cancellation means you wait on late folks rather than getting a new ping.

I also can't believe you have a 100 percent acceptance rate. Must mean you take those awful non surge pings in a surge area.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts