Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been weekend driving for uber for about 6-7 weeks and my overall rating quickly went from a steady 4.75 to 4.66 just in the last couple weeks. My week to week score two weeks ago was 4.59 and this past week's was 4.43.(both scores taken from summary emails).

I decided to look a little deeper into just this past weeks rating(4.43) with info from Uber's summary email. I was rated on 31 rides, with 19 of those being 5-stars at 4.43,. Definitely not great, but it made me very curious as to what the other twelve non 5-star ratings were at. So I tried a little excel breakdown(shown below).

Column A shows there is no way the remaining non 5-star ratings could of been fours, even with one 1-star. that would of put me at 4.52. The remaining columns show various breakdowns of how the ratings could of panned out. Column D shows the least number of 4-stars I could of received and still hit ~4.43

So it looks like Column B or C is where I probably landed. Over this weekend there were a couple fares that I could see rating me on the low end. One, a group of seven, yes seven people that wanted a ride and ended up splitting up to four in order for me to take them. Second was a group of three ladies and a guy that that complained of Halloween night traffic and required me to pull over for one of them to puke. Of course they spent part of the ride complaining and whispering amoungst themselves. Then third was a lady who once I hit her drop off address swore on the bible I passed it up. I had to go back and forth on the street till of course her girlfriends came pouring out of the very address I originally stopped at.

halloween weekend.jpg

So here I am thinking anything other than a 5-star is a 1-star, but it seems not the case. I think most people rated me at 4-stars thinking this is amazon or yelp. Not knowing dropping to 4-stars overall would probably put me on uber-probation.

I will add that I get complimented on my car's leg room, cleanliness and appearance(12' sonata). That includes some riders thinking the car is new(thanks air freshener). I engage in conversation if they start it up and greet riders on entry/exit.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
YOU need to work on avoiding the one star. NO ATTEMPTS at making the cheap ass pax happy when your little voice senses trouble.

if you show up and 5 or 6 are standing there, CANCEL!, drive off. the 3/4 pax you drive will down rate you.
if the pax calls before you get there and asks why you are taking so long, CANCEL! no good will come of this high expectation pax.

Know your city, be friendly until you sense they would rather stare at their phone, explain why you are using waze/gps (to avoid traffic!)
don't argue, no politics/race/religion. don't bash uber/lyft. tell them you LOVE your job because _________ .

clean car, clean driver who knows the city with a good personality is key.... and avoiding the one star.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm seeing many people here avoiding the riders that have over 4 people in their crowd. That is something I will start immediately. I will also cancel riders that call to see where I am.

I love talking to the riders, but never push it. I let them lead the conversations.

·
Registered
576 Posts
YOU need to work on avoiding the one star. NO ATTEMPTS at making the cheap ass pax happy when your little voice senses trouble.

if you show up and 5 or 6 are standing there, CANCEL!, drive off. the 3/4 pax you drive will down rate you.
if the pax calls before you get there and asks why you are taking so long, CANCEL! no good will come of this high expectation pax.

Know your city, be friendly until you sense they would rather stare at their phone, explain why you are using waze/gps (to avoid traffic!)
don't argue, no politics/race/religion. don't bash uber/lyft. tell them you LOVE your job because _________ .

clean car, clean driver who knows the city with a good personality is key.... and avoiding the one star.
I totally agree with LAuberX.. one time a pax texted me 'can you hurry up please... thank you lol :),' when I was half way there, I promptly cancelled. This past weekend, I realized a guy totally misplaced his pin after calling him to confirm where he was, but he went off and yelled 'where the F*CK are you!!!,' so that was another cancel...

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
So I've been weekend driving for uber for about 6-7 weeks and my overall rating quickly went from a steady 4.75 to 4.66 just in the last couple weeks. My week to week score two weeks ago was 4.59 and this past week's was 4.43.(both scores taken from summary emails).

I decided to look a little deeper into just this past weeks rating(4.43) with info from Uber's summary email. I was rated on 31 rides, with 19 of those being 5-stars at 4.43,. Definitely not great, but it made me very curious as to what the other twelve non 5-star ratings were at. So I tried a little excel breakdown(shown below).

Column A shows there is no way the remaining non 5-star ratings could of been fours, even with one 1-star. that would of put me at 4.52. The remaining columns show various breakdowns of how the ratings could of panned out. Column D shows the least number of 4-stars I could of received and still hit ~4.43

So it looks like Column B or C is where I probably landed. Over this weekend there were a couple fares that I could see rating me on the low end. One, a group of seven, yes seven people that wanted a ride and ended up splitting up to four in order for me to take them. Second was a group of three ladies and a guy that that complained of Halloween night traffic and required me to pull over for one of them to puke. Of course they spent part of the ride complaining and whispering amoungst themselves. Then third was a lady who once I hit her drop off address swore on the bible I passed it up. I had to go back and forth on the street till of course her girlfriends came pouring out of the very address I originally stopped at.

View attachment 2088

So here I am thinking anything other than a 5-star is a 1-star, but it seems not the case. I think most people rated me at 4-stars thinking this is amazon or yelp. Not knowing dropping to 4-stars overall would probably put me on uber-probation.

I will add that I get complimented on my car's leg room, cleanliness and appearance(12' sonata). That includes some riders thinking the car is new(thanks air freshener). I engage in conversation if they start it up and greet riders on entry/exit.
wow, you put more effort into that analysis than I've put into working for uber the last 3 months.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Knowing your city is helpful, that said NOBODY knows the thousands of streets by heart, and the address/cross street of every destination.

Lots of pax now put the destination in the app, I then put it in WAZE for traffic / routing and ask if "XYZ" works for you, "WAZE says it's the fastest route"

I ask for the actual address of where they are going, or the business name so waze can find it. cross streets are too hard to find at times.

If they insist, I let them point the way...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't take long to analize the info and put it to excel. I do it for living. That being said, won't I get dinged for cancelling rides? What's the riders/Ubers options after that?

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
One problem at a time. YOU need to raise your rating average, not worry about other metrics.

The cards are stacked against you driving drunks for pennies, lets stay focused on keeping the important metric high. the ratings.

Ignoring a ping that is 15 minutes away is good business sense, canceling on pax with 6 riders is good ratings sense.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Lol wwhenever someone calls me after I accept the ping talking that hurry up/I'm in a hurry business I say ferrrr surrrre and immediately cancel.

Nothing annoys me more than losers who have already started taking an app that has a car at their service wwithin 5 minutes for granted. Especially on a busy night like I can't just cancel and get another friendlier pax right away.

I was working an event a while back and immediately it was

"where are you."

"I'm around the block. Be there in like 1 minute."

30 seconds later...

"where are you?"

"30 seconds more"

"ok. Hurry up."

"for sure"... Cancel.

Immediately I get another request and as I'm coming up on them the previous ******bag calls me again with a completely different tone.

"Hey... " like I just broke up with him or something.

"What. Huh. Who's this... Sorry I can't hear you"... Click.

No ****s given.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
wow, you put more effort into that analysis than I've put into working for uber the last 3 months.
Lol iI was thinking the exact same thing

This dude a complicated spreadsheet for something as basic as ratings. I think he should be using the energy towards simply interacting with his pax a little better and using excel spreadsheets to be more efficient with earnings instaed.

Some of these drivers are straight characters man.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I totally agree with LAuberX.. one time a pax texted me 'can you hurry up please... thank you lol :),' when I was half way there, I promptly cancelled.
I've done the same thing. Last week I get a guy with a 4.0 rating, 3 minutes away, who texts me "Hry" 30 seconds into the drive to pick him up at closing time. I immediate cancelled. Of course, 30 seconds later I get a ping to pick up the same rider. I let it expire. The next closest driver at that time of night was over 10 minutes away. 2 minutes later, I got another ping. I went to bed with a smile on my face that night.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I used to be kind and make jokes with my riders when i first started...thought this gig was really lucrative...then the rate cut, i stopped caring...i just pick these mofos up, ask them where they going, and just drive...when i get there i park the car, they get out and we end our relationship like a bad break up...rating went down a ltitle bit, but not detrimental...

If uber wants great service, they gotta charge more, they can't expect to pay us peanuts and expect limousine like services...

·
Banned
217 Posts

I finally see the "errors of my ways"....I was an equal opportunity uber driver....I picked up anyone/anytime and took them anywhere....I never cancelled unless they weren't at the pin and I couldn't get a hold of them on the phone...My motto was everyone got a 5 unless they puked in my car...And I always said at the end of each ride I'd give ya 6 if I could....I never gave the ratings a second thought, my thought was who else they gunna get to do this for this much money :)..Oh well

·
Banned
217 Posts

View attachment 2088

Dude, you sound/look like my wife...she's a bean counter (accountant)...K.I.S.S...Keep It Simple Stupid ! ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts