Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used to be u could make decent money taking rides from airport. Now u have every Tom, dick, and Harry out here with their cousins moe, Larry, and curly. They Park at the gas station filing up all the parking spots thinking if they are closer they will get pinged first. Lol it is a cue. First one in, first one out is how the que works. 16 hrs a day to get what u used to get in 10 hrs or less. Weekend warriors do not help matters much

·
Registered
933 Posts
Used to be u could make decent money taking rides from airport. Now u have every Tom, dick, and Harry out here with their cousins moe, Larry, and curly. They Park at the gas station filing up all the parking spots thinking if they are closer they will get pinged first. Lol it is a cue. First one in, first one out is how the que works. 16 hrs a day to get what u used to get in 10 hrs or less. Weekend warriors do not help matters much
People from San Antonio should stay in San Antonio and stop coming to Austin. Work your own city we will work ours. I find it funny that you all come here and gripe an moan how hard it is when it is drivers from outside the city making it hard for those of us who live here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People from San Antonio should stay in San Antonio and stop coming to Austin. Work your own city we will work ours. I find it funny that you all come here and gripe an moan how hard it is when it is drivers from outside the city making it h

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a recent email (last 30 days) from Uber saying there is No Queue at the ABIA airport. Not sure who to believe, lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, odd that I get selected for rides sometimes before people closer than me and have been waiting longer than me. 30 days ago was also before it turned into a zoo lol. I'm pretty sure your rating Plays a part in it as well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Circle K out by the airport is no more of a zoo than downtown Austin on Sixth Street on a weekend; or the crowd getting out after a home game; or at a COTA or Erwin Center event.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When you see dozens of Uber and Lyft drivers parked near the airport waiting for a call, it's just a sign of how slow it is in town. It's like having a warning canary in a coal mine shaft. All information is pertinent to a seasoned driver and can be used to game the system.

·
Banned
332 Posts
The Circle K out by the airport is no more of a zoo than downtown Austin on Sixth Street on a weekend; or the crowd getting out after a home game; or at a COTA or Erwin Center event.
I disagree. At least in those scenarios you know the formula and will probably get a ping pretty quickly. Who knows WTF is going on with the airport half the time.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I disagree. At least in those scenarios you know the formula and will probably get a ping pretty quickly. Who knows WTF is going on with the airport half the time.
Working the airport is more for professional and dedicated drivers - it's not practical for part-time drivers or newbies. You have to know what you are doing and be aware of arrival times and timing; know when planes land and what was there origin. Two or three planes land every hour throughout the day. You are almost guaranteed one trip per hour. The average fare is $20.

These are easy trips and easy pickups: always use Presidential Blvd and you almost always pick up at the arrival terminals, and then, the drop off is usually a hotel downtown or a home. Mostly highway driving, depending on the traffic flow.

Any serious driver will have already memorized the location of every hotel and motel in Austin - so that's not complicated. And, almost every rider going home knows the best route to take to drop them off, unless it's an AirB&B on the east side or an office complex on 183, 360 or MoPac.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Up until a few months ago my fares were 20 dollars. The past couple weeks I have noticed the fare being 18 dollars to 15 to 12 yesterday and the one I've had today so far was 10 dollars. To the airport from the same areas downtown. Taking the same route.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Working the airport is more for professional and dedicated drivers - it's not practical for part-time drivers or newbies. You have to know what you are doing and be aware of arrival times and timing; know when planes land and what was there origin. Two or three planes land every hour throughout the day. You are almost guaranteed one trip per hour. The average fare is $20.

These are easy trips and easy pickups: always use Presidential Blvd and you almost always pick up at the arrival terminals, and then, the drop off is usually a hotel downtown or a home. Mostly highway driving, depending on the traffic flow.

Any serious driver will have already memorized the location of every hotel and motel in Austin - so that's not complicated. And, almost every rider going home knows the best route to take to drop them off, unless it's an AirB&B on the east side or an office complex on 183, 360 or MoPac.
What???? There is so much to make fun of here that I'm just going to pass on it. Plus, I gotta go memorize the location of every hotel and motel in Austin, as well as all of the flight schedules in and out of ABIA....AND their origin cities. Because you know....it's not that complicated. Good lord man do you even hear yourself?? Do you really think that I don't know EXACTLY what's going on at the airport when I said what I said? Do you not understand that it's simply a reference to the geo fence and that there is an element of the unknown at ABIA that's different than regular driving areas?? It's funny because the only person making things "that complicated" is you.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Are you saying that that you don't know where the hotels and motels in Austin are located?
Wow. There is something seriously wrong with you dude. Do you even know how to read? Do you even understand context? Do you have any personality whatsoever that you might be able to comprehend when someone is joking or making fun of you or making a side reference? I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are beyond exhausting.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You are beyond exhausting...
A professional driver would know all the hotels and motels in town and know when planes are landing at the airport and the city or country of origin. You just can't make very much money with driving, anywhere, if you're just a part-time driver trying to get a lucky trip at the airport a few times a week or staging at a music festival once or twice a year.

Most Uber drivers around Austin seem to be part-time drivers and they don't know the city as well as they should. Many drivers who come to Austin on weekends to work from another town don't even know the streets. Driving for hire is serious business - it takes dedication and skill to be successful.

If anyone wants to make some serious money driving in Austin, they've got to be willing to make an exhausting study of local ground transportation; form a viable strategy; and apply their knowledge over time.

Otherwise, it's just a crap shoot.

·
Banned
332 Posts
A professional driver would know all the hotels and motels in town and know when planes are landing at the airport and the city or country of origin. You just can't make very much money with driving, anywhere, if you're just a part-time driver trying to get a lucky trip at the airport a few times a week or staging at a music festival once or twice a year.

Most Uber drivers around Austin seem to be part-time drivers and they don't know the city as well as they should. Many drivers who come to Austin on weekends to work from another town don't even know the streets. Driving for hire is serious business - it takes dedication and skill to be successful.

If anyone wants to make some serious money driving in Austin, they've got to be willing to make an exhausting study of local ground transportation; form a viable strategy; and apply their knowledge over time.

Otherwise, it's just a crap shoot.
Everything you just said is 100% wrong. You're a joke dude.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wait I think I know who this guy is. He is the one that always stands on Guadalupe yelling at the sinners? Everyone else is obviously doing everything so wrong and so unprofessional. What's your rating bro? Do you even lift? I bet you have 17 different types of bottled water. Candy and a reach a round?

Sorry I haven't slept. I was busy driving this city pronouncing streets wrong and not knowing their flights.

·
Banned
332 Posts
Wait I think I know who this guy is. He is the one that always stands on Guadalupe yelling at the sinners? Everyone else is obviously doing everything so wrong and so unprofessional. What's your rating bro? Do you even lift? I bet you have 17 different types of bottled water. Candy and a reach a round?

Sorry I haven't slept. I was busy driving this city pronouncing streets wrong and not knowing their flights.
It's pretty comical isn't it. He acts like he is the all knowing and all seeing authority on all things. And we of course are all just newbies who don't know anything and should just stay home on our couches. Yeah....never mind that I'm 25 years here living in central Austin and could navigate the streets blindfolded, etc. Or maybe he's just stupid and has no ability to comprehend sarcasm or rhetorical questions or jokes or things said just as a way to vent? Whatever it is there is certainly some kind of disconnect there. I wouldn't be as harsh about it if he didn't post 30 times a day and pontificate about everything under the sun. I'm all for people saying what's on their mind but I would also prefer that these threads have a certain amount of efficiency to them so that people can get the real information and stories that they come here for.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.