Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Like a vaccine: if the rest do it, I do not need to do it. You educate them for me. Thanks.

BTW, I think it is better if Uber does not put a tip option. I get more tips from Uber riders than from Lyft riders. Uber riders have the awkward factor when getting out. Lyft riders do not have it as they know you have the hope that they will tip you, but you actually will not know for a while what they did, and once away from the car, they do not care anymore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get with the program and put a tip sign in your car. It pays $$. And could lead to a tip function in the app.
I put one in my car last week. Ive gotten about 3 tips since then. Shitty tips, but still more tips than I was seeing before the sign. I am often asked which company I prefer and i always mention Lyft because of the tip option and most pax dont know that the tip isnt included in an uber fare. Or they do know and theyre acting ignorant. Either way, I believe the sign has helped a tiny bit but cheap ass pax still tip ridiculously. Like $1 or they claim not to have cash. I have a credit card reader that i got from SQUARE but I have yet to install it. Does anyone use a card reader for tips? ANd if so, is there a free app to go with them other than the Square app that comes with the reader? Thanks in adavance

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put one in my car last week. Ive gotten about 3 tips since then. Shitty tips, but still more tips than I was seeing before the sign. I am often asked which company I prefer and i always mention Lyft because of the tip option and most pax dont know that the tip isnt included in an uber fare. Or they do know and theyre acting ignorant. Either way, I believe the sign has helped a tiny bit but cheap ass pax still tip ridiculously. Like $1 or they claim not to have cash. I have a credit card reader that i got from SQUARE but I have yet to install it. Does anyone use a card reader for tips? ANd if so, is there a free app to go with them other than the Square app that comes with the reader? Thanks in adavance
I have the card reader and the chip/Apple Pay/Google Pay reader that square sells. I have used it three times in the last week for tips as well as a airport pickup where the guy came to me after he saw I dropped off a passenger.

·
Registered
323 Posts
3 tips a week? That doesn't seem very good, unless you're not doing too many trips. I dont get many, but they are good when it happens - 5 to 15 range.

Some things I do to increase tips:

I dont bring up politics, but if PAX does, I just agree with whichever side they're on. Pax who bring up politics are impassioned by it, and will like you if you agree with them. It helps to know some of the key players names, etc.

If I dont need to use the navigator, I play a pandora station that I think fits the PAX. Folks over 40 love the motown oldies! Gotta be careful with this though. Took a female PAX ( spanish) to airport and I played some classic salsa music. I neglected to ask like I usually do. Think she gave me non-5 star rating because of it. I didnt even play it so much for her as myself. I like it, especially when driving.

The MOST important thing to getting tips ( other than doing your job nicely):

You have to have a story to tell. You need to give them a reason to think you deserve extra. Tell a story that makes them feel kind for helping you out, so they feel better about themselves. Key is not whining or complaining, that gets you zero. Dont make the story so sad that it makes PAX feel uncomfortable either. Just a story about how you've been dealt some bad cards (or family member has) and you're trying to make some extra cash to help out. Stay optimistic. This is a good line I use "I'm just thankful there's an opportunity like Uber to make some extra cash." They eat that up.

There you have it. Good luck to all
I have to start working on my sob story to start getting more tips.. lol

·
Registered
103 Posts
3 tips a week? That doesn't seem very good, unless you're not doing too many trips. I dont get many, but they are good when it happens - 5 to 15 range.

Some things I do to increase tips:

I dont bring up politics, but if PAX does, I just agree with whichever side they're on. Pax who bring up politics are impassioned by it, and will like you if you agree with them. It helps to know some of the key players names, etc.

If I dont need to use the navigator, I play a pandora station that I think fits the PAX. Folks over 40 love the motown oldies! Gotta be careful with this though. Took a female PAX ( spanish) to airport and I played some classic salsa music. I neglected to ask like I usually do. Think she gave me non-5 star rating because of it. I didnt even play it so much for her as myself. I like it, especially when driving.

The MOST important thing to getting tips ( other than doing your job nicely):

You have to have a story to tell. You need to give them a reason to think you deserve extra. Tell a story that makes them feel kind for helping you out, so they feel better about themselves. Key is not whining or complaining, that gets you zero. Dont make the story so sad that it makes PAX feel uncomfortable either. Just a story about how you've been dealt some bad cards (or family member has) and you're trying to make some extra cash to help out. Stay optimistic. This is a good line I use "I'm just thankful there's an opportunity like Uber to make some extra cash." They eat that up.

There you have it. Good luck to all
I don't do many trips during the week. I'm doing this part time right now. I haven't had many willing to discuss politics but my looks give away which side I am on... Being obvious that I am gay it's obvious I'm a democrat although it hasn't affected me negatively as of yet. However,I'd never impose my views on anyone. I try to stick to neutral topics like traveling, where they're from, how long they're in town for etc.
I have Sirius radio and I try to match the music with the Pax as well. Lol it's nice to see I'm not the only one. Although that can get tricky as maybe it can be offensive maybe? Playing hip hop for someone assuming they like that? So far, no issues there either. I try to stick to talking with them if they're up for it.
Funny you mention the story telling, I actually do have a story. Most ask me why I'm driving and I usually tell the truth, to help me pay for college. I tell them my plans for the future and most wish me all the best and seem inspired but still no tips. I think I'm just getting a lot of cheapos... It's ok. I'm Hoping that the more I drive the more I'll learn the tricks to this. I appreciate your input. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put one in my car last week.
Can you show us a picture of the sign? I'm curious to what it says.

Here's a copy of my sign, and a copy of Uber's new tipping policy. I give the handout to any pax that questions Uber's tipping policy. Believe it or not, some paxs have told me they thought it was included in the fare.

I'm currently driving in Boston where it is rare to get a tip. I used the sign yesterday for the first time. I only drove 2.3 hours (11am-1:20pm) and 22 miles. I had 6 fares, all in downtown Boston. Earnings (after Uber's take, before my expenses) was $47.07 (no surges). Three of the 6 paxs tipped. Tips totaled $8 (17% of earnings). One pax that tipped, apologized that she only had a single dollar bill. The 3 that didn't tip got dinged on the star rating (-1 for no tip on a short ride, -2 for a medium length ride and my handling heavy luggage and no tip, -3 for pax requiring me to take shorter distance (cheaper fare) instead of quicker route that the app suggested, causing me to be bogged down in traffic, and no tip). The 3 paxs that tipped, were polite and respectful and got 5 stars. No one questioned my sign, or Uber's tipping policy.

Font Happy Art Graphics Logo
Font Screenshot Circle Parallel Number

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
NOBODY OWES YOU A TIP
Correct. And nobody owes taxi drivers, limo drivers, waiters, waitresses, bell hops, sky caps, barbers, hairdressers, etc, a tip either. But, it is customary and respectful to tip service people based on the quality of service they provide.

IMO, and a lot of others as well, that also goes for Uber drivers. Uber initially lied about the tip being included in the fare, then told paxs no need to tip. What right do they have to tell our paxs not to tip an independent contractor for the service(s) the IC provides? IMO, none.

About a month or 2 ago, Uber tentatively reached a settlement in the Driver's class action law suits with CA and MA. Part of that settlement was for Uber to change it's view and language (policy) about tipping. Post 11 includes that new policy. Unfortunately, it's buried down 4 levels in the Rider's app. And Uber's not publicizing this change. So, if you'd like to be tipped like other services I mentioned, it's up to us drivers to inform the paxs of Uber's change in tipping policy.

I'm not begging, I'm trying to inform/educate the paxs of the change in Uber's policy and let them go from there. I think my sign and handout sheet does that. But, I'm open for better suggestions. I don't think your sign is one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Correct. And nobody owes taxi drivers, limo drivers, waiters, waitresses, bell hops, sky caps, barbers, hairdressers, etc, a tip either. But, it is customary and respectful to tip service people based on the quality of service they provide.
< . . . >
Not sure about the others, but waiters and waitresses are a special case, as their average hourly wage is only about $5.00, depending on the state.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Waiter/Waitress/Hourly_Rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really don't get why more PAX don't tip.
Because Uber discourages it. First they lied and said the tip was included in the fare. Then, after being caught, told paxs no need to tip. Now that policy has changed, and it's up to the drivers to educate/inform the paxs.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
477 Posts
How much would you be averaging hourly, after all expenses and depreciation of your car, driving 8am - 5 pm Monday to Friday?
Not a good comparison. Outside of tips, a waiter/waitress makes the same lousy hourly well-below-minimum-wage no matter how busy it gets, and, you are stuck with the schedule unless you are allowed to find another waiter/waitress to cover for you. It is physically taxing. Really, someday, you should try it. I did.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a good comparison. Outside of tips, a waiter/waitress makes the same lousy hourly well-below-minimum-wage no matter how busy it gets, and, you are stuck with the schedule unless you are allowed to find another waiter/waitress to cover for you. It is physically taxing. Really, someday, you should try it. I did.
I think it is. I guess you don't want to say/estimate the hourly pay because it would be comparable to a waiters.

I've read many Maimi posters stating that, except for the peak season (Jan-Mar?), most drivers trying to make a living driving for Uber are lucky to make minimum wage before deducting all their costs and auto depreciation. Some of these drivers are working 60-80 hours a week trying to pay their bills. Even though they're working a service job, do you think they are making too much money to deserve a tip?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think it is. I guess you don't want to say/estimate the hourly pay because it would be comparable to a waiters.

I've read many Miami posters stating that, except for the peak season (Jan-Mar?), most drivers trying to make a living driving for Uber are lucky to make minimum wage before deducting all their costs and auto depreciation. Some of these drivers are working 60-80 hours a week trying to pay their bills. Even though they're working a service job, do you think they are making too much money to deserve a tip?
Of course drivers deserve tips. That wasn't my point, and sorry for not being clear.

Okay, I'll say it. Without any tips, on average, and with expenses accounted for, comparing waiting tables to Uber driving, waiting tables pays far less. Of course, if you don't average, if you include dead times waiting for pings, then there will be times when drivers make less, depending on the season, strategy, etc. especially if driving Pool with a gas-sucking unreliable behemoth.

That said, with tips, especially at a pricey busy restaurant, and if you are cut out for it, you will make considerably more waiting on tables than driving with Uber.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of course drivers deserve tips. That wasn't my point, and sorry for not being clear.
Then we're on the same page.
...if you include dead times waiting for pings, then there will be times when drivers make less, depending on the season, strategy, etc. especially if driving Pool with a gas-sucking unreliable behemoth.
I definitely include dead time when online waiting for pings. I'm out there, and when necessary, driving (burning gas and adding miles) to get in a better area to receive a ping.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can you show us a picture of the sign? I'm curious to what it says.

Here's a copy of my sign, and a copy of Uber's new tipping policy. I give the handout to any pax that questions Uber's tipping policy. Believe it or not, some paxs have told me they thought it was included in the fare.

I'm currently driving in Boston where it is rare to get a tip. I used the sign yesterday for the first time. I only drove 2.3 hours (11am-1:20pm) and 22 miles. I had 6 fares, all in downtown Boston. Earnings (after Uber's take, before my expenses) was $47.07 (no surges). Three of the 6 paxs tipped. Tips totaled $8 (17% of earnings). One pax that tipped, apologized that she only had a single dollar bill. The 3 that didn't tip got dinged on the star rating (-1 for no tip on a short ride, -2 for a medium length ride and my handling heavy luggage and no tip, -3 for pax requiring me to take shorter distance (cheaper fare) instead of quicker route that the app suggested, causing me to be bogged down in traffic, and no tip). The 3 paxs that tipped, were polite and respectful and got 5 stars. No one questioned my sign, or Uber's tipping policy.

View attachment 51691 View attachment 51692
I like ur sign. I've been thinking about putting one up but I want to find just the right wording so that it's not in ur facebut to the point. I like it!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had a somehow strange afternoon. Strange because I got a few tips!

I was online for 5.5 hours. I made 11 trips. Those trips earned me $70. That is about $12.7 per hour, which would seem kinda normal.

But 3 of those rides tipped me. Now, that is a lot! 3 out of 11 is 27% of the riders that tipped me today. I can go days without any tip. More strange is that those 3 tips amounted to $40 (5+15+20).

Adding the $40 tips to the $70 from the app, I made $110 in 5.5 hours: $20/hour. This is above average. I didn't do anything different, so must be just a strange lucky day.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had a somehow strange afternoon. Strange because I got a few tips!

I was online for 5.5 hours. I made 11 trips. Those trips earned me $70. That is about $12.7 per hour, which would seem kinda normal.

But 3 of those rides tipped me. Now, that is a lot! 3 out of 11 is 27% of the riders that tipped me today. I can go days without any tip. More strange is that those 3 tips amounted to $40 (5+15+20).

Adding the $40 tips to the $70 from the app, I made $110 in 5.5 hours: $20/hour. This is above average. I didn't do anything different, so must be just a strange lucky day.
Good for u!!! Congrats! I've learned in my 2 weeks of driving that tips are a rarity and come when u least expect it. In my case it's always been from females. Guys on the other hand, will say they will til but then they all scramble out of my SUV n nothing! Even after mkg stops for them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts