Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two cancelled rides for no booster seats this morning. Two very different outcomes.

First one the pax comes out with a 6-year-old in tow. I tell her the child needs a booster seat. She says she's been taking Uber every day for two weeks with the child and no booster seat and no problem before now. I stand firm. She decides that she's not going to let go of my door handle to let me drive away. I insist that she let go and tell her that she's not getting a ride. She refuses and calls 'Uncle Phil' out of the house (not his real name), apparently trying to intimidate me. 'Uncle Phil' tells her she's being unreasonable and that she should just call another Uber, then goes back in the house. She keeps holding on. I call 911. She calls work to say she'll be late. Then she calls an Uber driver friend to ask him whether kids need booster seats in an Uber. From what I can gather of the conversation he tells her 'not really' at first, then 'well, technically, yes' after a while. The driver friend seems to convince her to let go. She lets go, makes a verbal threat to damage my vehicle, then repeats the threat. So about 15 minutes after she first grabbed my door handle I drive around the corner, call 911 back to say she let go. Then I call Rohit to report the pax.

If the pax is telling the truth, and I tend to believe her, 18 drivers before me had no problem giving her child a ride with no booster seat. To those drivers, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. Just stop it. Those rides are short anyway, and you'll make as much canceling. It's not worth it, it's illegal, it endangers the child, and it's wrong.

Second one a very young lady and a child come out. I determine the child is 7 and needs a booster seat. The young lady runs back inside. While she's inside I determine from the child that the young lady is 16 and also ineligible to ride as an unaccompanied minor. The young lady comes back out and says: "She says we don't have a booster seat and you should just cancel." I oblige, after allowing 5 minutes to elapse.

To the driver or drivers who apparently previously canceled on this account holder for no booster seat, THANK YOU! However, after I canceled and parked a few blocks away, I got a request again which turned out to be the same account holder. After I accepted, she canceled, apparently recognizing me. But, this tells me that she's had drivers do the ride without a booster seat before. To those drivers, a pox on you.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Two cancelled rides for no booster seats this morning. Two very different outcomes.

First one the pax comes out with a 6-year-old in tow. I tell her the child needs a booster seat. She says she's been taking Uber every day for two weeks with the child and no booster seat and no problem before now. I stand firm. She decides that she's not going to let go of my door handle to let me drive away. I insist that she let go and tell her that she's not getting a ride. She refuses and calls 'Uncle Phil' out of the house (not his real name), apparently trying to intimidate me. 'Uncle Phil' tells her she's being unreasonable and that she should just call another Uber, then goes back in the house. She keeps holding on. I call 911. She calls work to say she'll be late. Then she calls an Uber driver friend to ask him whether kids need booster seats in an Uber. From what I can gather of the conversation he tells her 'not really' at first, then 'well, technically, yes' after a while. The driver friend seems to convince her to let go. She lets go, makes a verbal threat to damage my vehicle, then repeats the threat. So about 15 minutes after she first grabbed my door handle I drive around the corner, call 911 back to say she let go. Then I call Rohit to report the pax.

If the pax is telling the truth, and I tend to believe her, 18 drivers before me had no problem giving her child a ride with no booster seat. To those drivers, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. Just stop it. Those rides are short anyway, and you'll make as much canceling. It's not worth it, it's illegal, it endangers the child, and it's wrong.

Second one a very young lady and a child come out. I determine the child is 7 and needs a booster seat. The young lady runs back inside. While she's inside I determine from the child that the young lady is 16 and also ineligible to ride as an unaccompanied minor. The young lady comes back out and says: "She says we don't have a booster seat and you should just cancel." I oblige, after allowing 5 minutes to elapse.

To the driver or drivers who apparently previously canceled on this account holder for no booster seat, THANK YOU! However, after I canceled and parked a few blocks away, I got a request again which turned out to be the same account holder. After I accepted, she canceled, apparently recognizing me. But, this tells me that she's had drivers do the ride without a booster seat before. To those drivers, a pox on you.
There is a large subset of the population that rules do not apply to. Didn't you know that? These folks do not even care about the safety of their children. They will not care about you or your car or anything else. No excuses with the safety of your child. No ride! Period.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well first I can't stop scratching my damn armpits lol. I won't allow babies without seat that's just wrong. Technically a midget needs a booster seat lol, make sure to bring a tape measurer and a scale along with you so you can enforce your policy before someone yells discrimination. Ctfu

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should have reported her for being underage too.
Yep. I did that too once I went offline for the day. I used "Passenger made me feel unsafe" as the best fit, since the account holder was asking me to do something illegal and unsafe, and putting me in the position of endangering the welfare of a child if I complied. The canned response was about unaccompanied minors and how both I and the account holder could be booted if I were to be found to have transported an unaccompanied minor. It didn't mention the booster seat.

Technically a midget needs a booster seat lol
Only if the midget is under 8 years old. NY law since 2009 is that everyone 4 to 8 years old is in a booster seat regardless of height or weight.
http://www.safeny.ny.gov/sesa-ndx.htm#regarding

The problem that booster seats correct is that kids' legs aren't as thick as adults'. So, the seat belt, particularly the lap belt portion, comes up higher on them because they sit lower. In an accident the belt makes a mess of the organs in their belly unless they are positioned higher by the booster seat so that the belt goes across their hips instead.

Most adult little people I've seen don't have any problem with leg thickness. They might use a booster seat though if they're driving so that they can see over the dash.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I really have mixed emotions about this booster seat issue. I had to drive off on a pax this morning because of this. And I will continue to do that, as I cannot take the risk. But I always feel kind of crappy when they have to turn around and walk back to the house. I cancelled the ride and did not charge pax. Just could not do that to them. At the end of the day, they need the money more than I do. I wish they would learn to use the booster seats though.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Look at it this way, we are offering them rides and doing a better job looking out for the safety and welfare of their own children. If you think of it this way, you won't feel bad.

God know there are pax out there that will crap all over us any chance they get, refusing the ride is not crapping on them, it is morality.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I don't feel bad, they are wasting our time and don't give a damn about their children. I will take the $3.52 and report them every single time. If it happens enough times, they might just learn. Gotta train them like a dog.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Now I don't believe booster seats require any special installation, they just raise the child up to where they can safely use the regular seatbelt. My question is how hard do you fight the parents that actually have a car carrier or infant car seat but say "oh we'll just wedge it between us." On one hand installing it takes up more of your time but not fastening it down is still illegal and in a high speed collision that thing is going through the windshield or into the back of your head, I don't care how tight it's wedged in. I just think it's ridiculous how little regard parents have for their own kids. They yell at you for having the gall to care about their kids safety when you say they need a carseat. After a few drivers hassle them they finally get a carseat then think you're crazy for insisting that it be strapped down. Haven't dealt with this in a while, lately only booster seats. I think though in the future not only am I going to insist that it's done right but I'm not going to start the trip until it is. If I have to wait for that I'm going to take the extra couple cents of wait time. If they complain (many pax are aware of wait time, I've been s screamed at to start the trip while paxholes finished cigarettes) I'll tell them that Uber dictates that the trip shouldn't be started till everyone is in and ready to go (used to be in their help materials). I'm also going to start rolling then cancel if I see a car carrier when pax are walking out after the 4 min mark on pickup. Just because I follow the law doesn't mean I have all day for it.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think though in the future not only am I going to insist that it's done right but I'm not going to start the trip until it is. If I have to wait for that I'm going to take the extra couple cents of wait time.
Right on, brother!
I'm also going to start rolling then cancel if I see a car carrier when pax are walking out after the 4 min mark on pickup. Just because I follow the law doesn't mean I have all day for it.
Myself, I think I would try to read the situation there. I have three kids, and they're all out of car seats now, but I know what a chore it is to get the kids bundled up in a winter snow suit and fastened into a car seat. I also know it's not going to work to bundle the baby up and then call Uber and let the baby wait all bundled up.
I had just that situation once. At the 4 minute mark I was irritated when I saw the door start to open at the house I was waiting at. But then I saw the mom carrying her infant out fastened in an infant carrier seat with the child bundled up for the cold, and all was forgiven.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Right on, brother!

Myself, I think I would try to read the situation there. I have three kids, and they're all out of car seats now, but I know what a chore it is to get the kids bundled up in a winter snow suit and fastened into a car seat. I also know it's not going to work to bundle the baby up and then call Uber and let the baby wait all bundled up.
I had just that situation once. At the 4 minute mark I was irritated when I saw the door start to open at the house I was waiting at. But then I saw the mom carrying her infant out fastened in an infant carrier seat with the child bundled up for the cold, and all was forgiven.
These paxholes have bled away any ounce of sympathy or capacity for empathy that I might have had. I get your point but at what we're paid I still can't really afford to wait (I don't drive a prius). They can be ready or call a cab. Cabbies are compensated better per ride and also legally are not required to have car/booster seats to transport children. Sounds cold but that's Ubers fault, they've created a situation where I'm only making money if I'm moving. If they were to say triple the per minute rate, or at least charge that much for wait time or while waiting at stops, drivers might be a lot more patient.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Just had another one (this time with a freaking baby). This worthless mother asked me to cancel so she wouldn't be charged. I said, Oh, you are going to be charged! She finally canceled before the 5 minutes was up, then I immediately called Uber and told her she is traveling with a baby without a car seat and probably requested another ride after she cancelled. I demanded to speak to a manager. The request that I made, have an option on the driver app to Cancel for Child Without Car Seat. If these horrible mothers get enough cancellation charges with a note of stating why, maybe just maybe they can be trained. We shouldn't have to wait 5 minutes or chose too much luggage as our reasons, let us cancel with a real valid reason and let us move on with our day.

·
Registered
947 Posts
+1 from me. These should be instant pay cancellations. No 5 minute wait.
Absolutely but there's one issue. We all know, as does Uber, that if there was an instant pay option for driver initiated cancels that there are absolutely drivers out there that would abuse it. Then they have to deal with all the he said she said. Driver claims that there was no car seat, rider denies there was ever a child present. The current system at least guarantees we will be in the general area for 5 minutes whether or not we make a reasonable attempt to find the pax. You would see drivers bailing after 30 seconds if the pax isn't at the curb and then claim carseat. Uber won't let that happen. No option for minors either. You can hit other and get nothing, hope the pax cancels or wait 5 mins.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts

You should have just dragged the woman down the street

1 - 20 of 31 Posts