Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Food Fruit Ingredient Staple food Natural foods
This afternoon, I drove from the airport to McGregor to return a phone left in my car. The trip was about 25 kilometres and took me about 25 minutes.

The passenger answered his door and expressed sincere gratitude for the trouble I had taken to return his phone and for the promptness of its return.

He then said, 'Just wait there. I have something for you'. He grabbed something that looked like a wad of cash. I thought to myself: I'm going to receive something more than expressed gratitude. The yellow colour suggested at least one $50 note.

I did receive something more and it was coloured yellow: a packet of dried mangoes from Cebu in the Philippines.

I receive much from Uber driving but dried mangoes were not something I had expected.

·
Registered
296 Posts
View attachment 139325 This afternoon, I drove from the airport to McGregor to return a phone left in my car. The trip was about 25 kilometres and took me about 25 minutes.

The passenger answered his door and expressed sincere gratitude for the trouble I had taken to return his phone and for the promptness of its return.

He then said, 'Just wait there. I have something for you'. He grabbed something that looked like a wad of cash. I thought to myself: I'm going to receive something more than expressed gratitude. The yellow colour suggested at least one $50 note.

I did receive something more and it was coloured yellow: a packet of dried mangoes from Cebu in the Philippines.

I receive much from Uber driving but dried mangoes were not something I had expected.
All eaten or will we see them at the Uber Coffee after the Uber lunch

·
Registered
859 Posts
So Jack, what would you do differently in the future.

I have had my better nature abused so in similar situations I report it as a left item and if the pax wants it returned they need to book me for a trip.
For something valuable such as a mobile if no response drop it off at the cop shop.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I had an interesting experience yesterday. Two young female students from ANU were tracking down a lost Iphone (pissed at 6am and left it in a taxi). They had a laptop, and we followed the electronic scent to the Kingston Hotel. I told them I was going in with them, as they both looked like they were 12. It seems you can make the phone emit a loud noise from the 'find my phone' function, but there was nothing to be heard. The manager told us there were rented rooms upstairs, including one where the tenant was about to be kicked out. So, he took us upstairs and we could hear the noise! It was in the room of the guy about to be kicked out (who was not in the room), and the manager let himself in and grabbed the phone.

So, not only did I get the return trip, it was on a surge, so everyone was happy in the end.

·
Premium Member
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I had an interesting experience yesterday. Two young female students from ANU were tracking down a lost Iphone (pissed at 6am and left it in a taxi). They had a laptop, and we followed the electronic scent to the Kingston Hotel. I told them I was going in with them, as they both looked like they were 12. It seems you can make the phone emit a loud noise from the 'find my phone' function, but there was nothing to be heard. The manager told us there were rented rooms upstairs, including one where the tenant was about to be kicked out. So, he took us upstairs and we could hear the noise! It was in the room of the guy about to be kicked out (who was not in the room), and the manager let himself in and grabbed the phone.

So, not only did I get the return trip, it was on a surge, so everyone was happy in the end.
What an adventure you had, Bampot. There's enough there to make you Canberra's answer to Father Brown. Let no-one say that Uber driving is boring.

What a pity I'll be missing this week's rideshare lunch at 12.00 noon in the Ginseng Restaurant upstairs at the Hellenic Club in Woden (which all rideshare drivers are welcome to attend) as you retell the story in your inimitably captivating style.

·
Premium Member
10,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Jack, what would you do differently in the future.

I have had my better nature abused so in similar situations I report it as a left item and if the pax wants it returned they need to book me for a trip.
For something valuable such as a mobile if no response drop it off at the cop shop.
lui6155, I'd do the same again. I can see the rationality of other approaches such as those you outline but I couldn't bring myself to do them myself.

To reduce the prospect of something similar happening again, I now ask passengers to check they have everything with them including phone and purse or wallet.

I also now remove my sunglasses when checking the car myself. It was because I was wearing sunglasses that I didn't see the phone in its black case against my car's black decor even though I looked where I ended up seeing the phone (after it began ringing).

On a previous occasion when wearing sunglasses I didn't see a black phone left on the black floor mat of the car. Fortunately, the passenger realised he had left his phone behind and called out to me as I was about to drive off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.