Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say <rate your passenger fairly>.
They say <never let your past experiences to affect your future experiences>.
They say <never let negativity and ignorance to dominate your mood>.

It is all true, but we, who drive long enough can see the shift in passenger moods for sure, we see how are we treated not for who we are, not for what kind of service we provide, but who the previous drivers were, what kind of service they provided. The more uber progresses the more of this we see. And I don't blame them for this. We are all just being humans.

So I want to share a story that happened to me personally.

I had once a family called me as XL. It was my older car, a 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited model, but American car, and American Limited models have 8 seats unlike Canadian Limited models with 7, so I had 8 seats back then and had luxury of transporting 7 people. So I arrive and see they are not 7 but 8 people, one of them being an infant and they did not have a car seat. I said that I can't transport them, they started arguing that they will hold baby on their lap and that it is close by, they were out of Restaurant on Yonge going somewhere on Yonge (Iranians). So 5 minutes of heated arguments, them threatening to complain to uber if I cancel.

Long story short I cancelled the ride and got a report under my name. I emailed support, but got canned auto-responses and even few emails back and forth they were not helpful of resolving the issue. I had the dash-cam recording, went to the office, but again got no help from Uber. The reviews are permanent and will stay as such. Uber cannot alter reports.

Uber was unwilling to understand that there is no passenger vehicle in North America that could legally transport 9 people and on top of that I could get a serious charge for transporting an infant on lap.

So I compare uber with immigration

You go through phases.

1. Excitement
2. Disappointment
3. Anger
4. Reconciliation
5. Don't give a fuÇk

I see lot of newbies in Phase 1. Most people quit at Phase 2 and few at 3. Some people skip the Phase 4, but if they don't that means they have huge hearts. If you drive long enough one way or another you land in Phase 5. That Phase is an ultimate proof that you are a human being. If you never land there, go have your doctor check you, you may be an Uber self-driving car.

This experience happened to me personally while I was transitioning from Phase 1 to Phase 2. For those who wonder, yes I have a huge heart and I had Phase 4 that lasted long enough. But eventually I landed in Phase 5. I am human. Just like passengers these days who rate us low, based on their past experiences.

Experiences like this one do not bother me anymore, I just don't give a damn, and I hardly even rate anyone 5*. And I tell anyone who argues. Meet me at the Phase 5. I'll be here, still not giving a fuÇk...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you like the story, share it through your social media/networks, I give consent. You can mention my name or skip it if you wish. I am ok with either. I just don't give a fkuc :)

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Erexa.

Thanks for sharing this. I've been hovering between 1/2 for the past few months.

My disappointment is with Ubers informal position on overall safety. They publicly say one thing but their expectations are totally different.

I hope W5 picks up on this so that Uber reexamine their business model and expectations

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Erexa, good story.

When I recently refused a ride to a family of four with two young kids with no car seats in my XL, I immediately reported this to Uber with detailed information. The response I got from them didn't seem canned and they thanked me for reporting this and stressed on how safety is top priority, so I was right to refuse the ride.

I also liked your comparison with Immigration phases (although it's different for everyone, at least it was different for me).

Right now I'm between phases 4 and 5 Uber wise. Uber definitely grew on me and after a while it became less of excitement and more of boring. The only true noticeable excitement part for me left is the payday :) Although, I won't lie - despite overall pax quality decreased, there are still some pax that I really enjoy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Erexa, bang on with the whole five step phase thing. Sometimes, I’ll go through all five in one night. :p …but I keep giving Uber another chance. I’m definitely not the most seasoned Uber driver in Canada, but we’ve seen so many changes over the last year and a half. Here in Ottawa (one of the lowest Uber rates in North America) we’ve seen three price drops. I constantly hear that the quality of the drivers are going down.
In light to the W5 segment, I think they should take a look at the incoming ride request, that sometimes appears when you’re wrapping up an existing rider. It’s a bit bold of Uber to take your eyes off the road, touch/accept the incoming trip request (without knowing where/how far away the pax is) all while disrupting your current conversation you may be having with the passenger… and now with the virtual penalty box/time-out feature that Uber has implemented recently, that incoming trip request (while on a call) also counts towards your one (of two) declined trip-count.
I start my uber shift in Ottawa’s south end. Sometimes, I’ll get a trip request 20 minutes away. Who in their right mind would accept a potential $3.20 fare when you have to drive empty, 20 minutes away to get them? All while putting your ride through a beating with these pothole filled streets, salt stains from the riders and short water or gum or any other amenity that we seem to provide to keep the rider’s happy.
(guess which phase I’m in currently) lol
So question to you, was the system (a year and a half ago) that bad? Did Uber need to drastically change the landscape so much to get where we’re at now?

I understand that every market is different, but Ottawa seems to be struggling with Quality vs. Quantity.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Good story! I'm slowly approaching stage 5.

Had a pax recently, I come pick him up from a 2+ million mansion in north york, he comes out with 2 of his teenage sons, 3 humongous suitcases and some minor carry on. We barely fit 2 suitcases + 1 carry on in my 100% empty trunk, there was absolutely no way of fitting the 3rd one in. I tell him, "You should have gotten an Uber XL" in a friendly manner, to which he replies: "I don't have time, we are in a rush" And asks me to put the 3rd huge suitcase in the front seat of my sedan. It has been a very slow week for me so I didn't feel like cancelling and agreed, put it wheels down to the floor so it doesn't mess the leather up. Tell him that the ETA to Pearson is 31 minutes using regular roads without toll, I ask him if that's ok with him, he says yes. We obviously get into traffic on 401, his wife, which is already at the airport waiting, calls him, he tells her that they're on 401 and she starts complaining that we didn't take 407 :) 2 Minutes later one of his sons starts saying that he's super uncomfortable in the back. (the front seat had to move all the way back in order to fit the suitcase in) ... anyway, we get there in 37 minutes, he seems displeased, I even help with the suitcases! No tip of course.

It was clear that it wasn't another 5 star for me. But I didn't even check the ratings, I simply don't give a damn anymore. I've accepted the simple fact that around 5% of my pax will be shit.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Good story! I'm slowly approaching stage 5.

Had a pax recently, I come pick him up from a 2+ million mansion in north york, he comes out with 2 of his teenage sons, 3 humongous suitcases and some minor carry on. We barely fit 2 suitcases + 1 carry on in my 100% empty trunk, there was absolutely no way of fitting the 3rd one in. I tell him, "You should have gotten an Uber XL" in a friendly manner, to which he replies: "I don't have time, we are in a rush" And asks me to put the 3rd huge suitcase in the front seat of my sedan. It has been a very slow week for me so I didn't feel like cancelling and agreed, put it wheels down to the floor so it doesn't mess the leather up. Tell him that the ETA to Pearson is 31 minutes using regular roads without toll, I ask him if that's ok with him, he says yes. We obviously get into traffic on 401, his wife, which is already at the airport waiting, calls him, he tells her that they're on 401 and she starts complaining that we didn't take 407 :) 2 Minutes later one of his sons starts saying that he's super uncomfortable in the back. (the front seat had to move all the way back in order to fit the suitcase in) ... anyway, we get there in 37 minutes, he seems displeased, I even help with the suitcases! No tip of course.

It was clear that it wasn't another 5 star for me. But I didn't even check the ratings, I simply don't give a damn anymore. I've accepted the simple fact that around 5% of my pax will be shit.
You obviously have a damn by picking them up with all that shit man. You kind of robbed an XL driver out of a fare and created an impression in this guy's mind that Uber X is all that he need every time from now on. Y u do dis...

No matter how low a week it has been for you (I've had s lot of low weeks recently), never ever let it be a reason to do this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You obviously have a damn by picking them up with all that shit man. You kind of robbed an XL driver out of a fare and created an impression in this guy's mind that Uber X is all that he need every time from now on. Y u do dis...

No matter how low a week it has been for you (I've had s lot of low weeks recently), never ever let it be a reason to do this.
I do this to make money. Everyyhing else is secondary. When was the last time you gave a damn about some other uber x driver's income?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts

Can't fault this driver for trying to make some coin. I feel bad for him that the pax was such an ass to him in front of his kids.

Odds are those kids will grow up to be ******** too.

Such a shame.

By the way, my car is spotless. My trunk is full of all the shit I had in the car before Uber. No suitcases in my car. If it's bigger than a carryon it's going with someone else ☺

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
There's no reason for stage for 4. Hold on to stage 3, go to stage 5 for your sanity when needed but go back to stage 3 when you can. Uber has sown the seeds of its own unraveling, it will be washed away eventually. The concept will live on in a more sustainable form.

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
I started with Phase 5. You don't need to be nasty or mean to be at stage 5. But if you did your homework before you started you could have skipped stages 1 through 4. But I would say the fist day doing it I would have been at stage 1 because it was the first few rides and it was a new tech.

But lets face it....Not caring and not providing good service is 2 different things. I never gave out water and gum. Never had to. Clean car, safe ride, knowledgeable on the best way to go. That's all you really need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Always been at phase 5. I keeps it real with the riders. This is my car and I am throwing you out whenever I feel. Uber does not own me nor do I work for them. F with me and I make you an instant pedestrian. Next.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts