Uber Drivers Forum banner

Is this creepy/wrong?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To nights ago I dropped off a young couple at a bar. The girl left her iphone in the backseat, but by the time I noticed they were gone inside the bar. It was the guy that called the uber so I reported that they left the phone and gave uber permission to give them my phone number. I had dropped them off at 10 and I was up till 4-5 am and not once did any one call the phone that was left, or mine. The next morning I woke up to pounding on my door and when I opened the door, half asleep and in my pajamas, IT WAS THE COUPLE asking for the phone. I asked why they didnt just call and they said they didn't have my number (which uber should have provided, or call your own phone?) Long story short, I feel SO uncomfortable now.

I messaged uber support and they told me some generic BS about how they shouldn't have done that and they would 'contact them to investigate' (obvious lies). Has this happened to anyone else? If someone leaves their phone what would you do? Am I over reacting by being freaked the eff out by this??

TL:DR A Pax showed up at my house after using "find my iphone" the morning after leaving it in my car without attempting to contact me.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
They sell lo-jack programs for cell phones, you have to expect people to buy and use them.

These people may not have known where they left the phone, and they were just using the computer program the way it was designed.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I had the same situation, reported... screen was broken on iPhone 5, next day showed up girl with boyfriend at car wash lol

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
RFID Signal Blocking Bag, Wisdompro, Amazon, $8.99

1) buy the bag
2) leave bag in glove compartment
3) put phone in bag
4) meet at public place
5) don't give out your home address

·
Registered
1 Posts
it also happened to me, but i was in my car. i think turing off the lost phone and wait for owner calls better. I am sure they will find way to reach you soon or later through Uber.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Always turn pax phones off before you go home, I leave them on till its time to go home, but never let them stay on ever.

all items returned by me were through uber, or pax calling the phone before I went home

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it also happened to me, but i was in my car. i think turing off the lost phone and wait for owner calls better. I am sure they will find way to reach you soon or later through Uber.
The problem with that is , maybe not. The owner of the phone likely doesn't know where they left the phone or if it was stolen.

If you don't want to hold on to someone's phone or other property(I can certainly understand that), you should turn it into the Uber office or local police station.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To nights ago I dropped off a young couple at a bar. The girl left her iphone in the backseat, but by the time I noticed they were gone inside the bar. It was the guy that called the uber so I reported that they left the phone and gave uber permission to give them my phone number. I had dropped them off at 10 and I was up till 4-5 am and not once did any one call the phone that was left, or mine. The next morning I woke up to pounding on my door and when I opened the door, half asleep and in my pajamas, IT WAS THE COUPLE asking for the phone. I asked why they didnt just call and they said they didn't have my number (which uber should have provided, or call your own phone?) Long story short, I feel SO uncomfortable now.

I messaged uber support and they told me some generic BS about how they shouldn't have done that and they would 'contact them to investigate' (obvious lies). Has this happened to anyone else? If someone leaves their phone what would you do? Am I over reacting by being freaked the eff out by this??

TL:DR A Pax showed up at my house after using "find my iphone" the morning after leaving it in my car without attempting to contact me.
Wow! I'm sorry that happened to you. It might have been better to turn their phone off so they couldn't track it to your house and not give out your personal # to passengers. Maybe Uber should have set up a fake # for you to provide to them so they wouldn't have any of your personal info. I think it would be better if we could just drop items like that at a hub & let Uber deal with it.:(:cool:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
What would you want uber support to say or do in this regard? What can they do? I guess they could tell the passenger to call Uber next time, but they probably didn't know that they left the phone in your car until they got to your home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great reminder of phone tracking capabilities. Now when someone forgets anything Uber charges them $15 through the app to get it back so maybe they were avoiding that fee, Not cool to just go to someone’s house though. I love the RFID bag suggestion. Will look around an Ross/Marshall’s.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Yeah, pax definitely should have called and asked permission to come by and pick it up. But you know how people can be when it comes to their phones, they want it now, or immediately. I hope you at least got the $15 return item fee, even if they came by to pick it up themselves. I wouldn't worry about them ever coming by again... and if they do then at least you have a record of them doing so which would make them highly suspect.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

This is completely unacceptable and against TOS. You should report them and tell uber how creeped out you were. These type of pax shouldn't have access to the platform. Next time if they don't call by the time you are done driving turn off the phone so they can't track it.
I'm not the type to steal or trash a phone that a pax leaves. I'm also not gonna go out of my way to bring it to them unless we can negotiate a fair price. If they try to low ball you just tell them that you'll just drop it at the uber office or police station when you have time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts