Uber Drivers Forum banner

A NYC Uber driver's feedback (as a Rider) about Miami Uber drivers...

5K views 65 replies 33 participants last post by  Flacco 
#1 · (Edited)
First things first, I'm a veteran Uber driver in NYC with 10K+ Uber rides since the past 3+ years with 4.81 rating, VIP status with an additional 4-5 years of experience driving limo/black/yellow in NYC.
Also, lived in Miami between 1999-2008.
So, I know some chit about this business in Miami and NYC and 100+ miles radius of both.
Anyway, I just came back from a week long vacation in Miami and wanted to share some feedbacks as a Uber rider about Miami Uber drivers.
I have requested and completed total of 23 trips as a Rider while I was in Miami over the past 7 days.
All rides was completed between South Beach, Biscayne corridor and Brickell/South Miami Avenue triangle. So, I don't have much data outside of those areas.
Here are my observations and feedbacks about the Uber drivers in Miami:
1) 90% of Uber drivers do not speak and do not understand one single word of English, including "Yes" and "No".
Of course, nobody is expecting from them to discuss about William Shakespeare, but hey, it does not hurt to write down 20-30 necessary words in English and memorize them. No?
2) Almost all of them blasting some loud salsa etc. music even when the rider is in the car and they never ask if it is okay to blast their music of choice.
3) Vehicles are usually clean and newer model especially in Brickell/South Miami Avenue and Miami Beach, but, 90% of drivers are clueless about the directions and no idea about their way around. Most don't even have a smartphone holder (holding the phone in their hand), very few use Waze and ALL have their choice of navigation is with audio LOUDLY on all the time which is very annoying.
4) Even I enter the pick up address manually (with a restaurant/bar/condo or any landmark name), almost all waiting either accross the street or around the block which does not make sense since they have the "name" of the venue in front of them.
5) Most cars (even the NEW ones) need either new shocks/struts or sway bar end links along with new tires.
I would focus on more smoother ride rather than blasting reggeaton or salsa with freezing A/C and continuously sniffing my nose. Lol
Anyway, they all gave me 5 stars (I have over 400 rides as an Uber VIP rider and my rider rating is 4.97 out hundreds of rides as a rider (no, I have never tipped).
I gave 5 stars to all drivers who seemed to know their way around and speak -at least- reasonable amount of English, regardless of their vehicle's brand, year or condition.
On the other hand, I gave one star to the drivers who totally does not belong to this business -and any kind of business at all- completely!
On the other hand, you guys have some good surges in certain days and times which we rarely see them in NYC.
I'm seriously thinking about moving back to South Florida next year or so.
Much better (relax, no stress,
no traffic, no overhead etc.) and more profitable (after all the operating expenses) than this chit chow in NYC.
:)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I tried to tip few times, but the drivers insisted to not to accept my tip.
Maybe, they felt me close to them but from different planet. That's why I have never got less than 5 stars out of few hundred rides as a Rider. You'll never know. :)

In addition to above, I told almost all of them that I'm a veteran NYC Uber driver and try to helped them out with the things they are missing, but, language barrier is a huge deal in Miami area. They just don't understand even if you ask them "Busy?", the answer may be "Hoarh?"...
Not all though, some of them are at least trying to speak at least few words of English and they said that they've been trying hard. So, respect to those and gave them 5 stars and appropiate badges.
Conclusion is, the service in Miami is not comparable to the existing chit chow in NYC.
Even the worst Uber driver in NYC could be the one of the "above average" ones in Miami, I guess.

#6 ·
Only twice, I've had to request a Pool because the surge was over 5X at that particular time and I was desperate for a ride.
So, on those cases, I apologized both drivers for ordering Pool (which I have never requested before, ever) and one of them was a really cool guy with a Ford 150, nice convo with him and other poolers, but the other guy was trying to play the smart ass with me and asked me to cancel the trip when we reached the destination. I told him that, If i cancel the Pool, it will convert to a regular X fare to me and I will lose the advantage of Pool. On the other hand, he will get paid for his time/distance and surge regardless it is pool or a single X ride.
Anyway, he showed me his 3K+ 5 stars and 4.69 rating to make me impressed. I showed him my 5K+ 5 stars and 4.81 rating in return, so he shut up and changed the topic. Lol

#17 ·
Manhmptn Are you for real man? You are a veteran driver and from NYC and you don't tip the drivers??? Keep your feedback for yourself. I don't buy it for a second that drivers refused your tips so you stopped!
In case you move to Miami, I hope that riders won't tip you either.
I'm so disappointed in you because New Yorkers are by far my best tippers.
Regarding the service, cars condition, etc, you got exactly what you paid for: 0.85/0.13 minus U 25%. Don't get me started with NYC drivers and their cars. I had horrible experiences.

P.S. I see that driving in NYC you took a week long vacation here. If you will drive in SoFl, you wouldn't afford one. LOL.

#32 ·
First things first, I'm a veteran Uber driver in NYC with 10K+ Uber rides since the past 3+ years with 4.81 rating, VIP status with an additional 4-5 years of experience driving limo/black/yellow in NYC.
Also, lived in Miami between 1999-2008.
So, I know some chit about this business in Miami and NYC and 100+ miles radius of both.
Anyway, I just came back from a week long vacation in Miami and wanted to share some feedbacks as a Uber rider about Miami Uber drivers.
I have requested and completed total of 23 trips as a Rider while I was in Miami over the past 7 days.
All rides was completed between South Beach, Biscayne corridor and Brickell/South Miami Avenue triangle. So, I don't have much data outside of those areas.
Here are my observations and feedbacks about the Uber drivers in Miami:
1) 90% of Uber drivers do not speak and do not understand one single word of English, including "Yes" and "No".
Of course, nobody is expecting from them to discuss about William Shakespeare, but hey, it does not hurt to write down 20-30 necessary words in English and memorize them. No?
2) Almost all of them blasting some loud salsa etc. music even when the rider is in the car and they never ask if it is okay to blast their music of choice.
3) Vehicles are usually clean and newer model especially in Brickell/South Miami Avenue and Miami Beach, but, 90% of drivers are clueless about the directions and no idea about their way around. Most don't even have a smartphone holder (holding the phone in their hand), very few use Waze and ALL have their choice of navigation is with audio LOUDLY on all the time which is very annoying.
4) Even I enter the pick up address manually (with a restaurant/bar/condo or any landmark name), almost all waiting either accross the street or around the block which does not make sense since they have the "name" of the venue in front of them.
5) Most cars (even the NEW ones) need either new shocks/struts or sway bar end links along with new tires.
I would focus on more smoother ride rather than blasting reggeaton or salsa with freezing A/C and continuously sniffing my nose. Lol
Anyway, they all gave me 5 stars (I have over 400 rides as an Uber VIP rider and my rider rating is 4.97 out hundreds of rides as a rider (no, I have never tipped).
I gave 5 stars to all drivers who seemed to know their way around and speak -at least- reasonable amount of English, regardless of their vehicle's brand, year or condition.
On the other hand, I gave one star to the drivers who totally does not belong to this business -and any kind of business at all- completely!
On the other hand, you guys have some good surges in certain days and times which we rarely see them in NYC.
I'm seriously thinking about moving back to South Florida next year or so.
Much better (relax, no stress,
no traffic, no overhead etc.) and more profitable (after all the operating expenses) than this chit chow in NYC.
:)
Tip the Drivers !

You make some excellent points, and I've heard most of them from pax.

But my lasting impression of your lengthy and thoughtful post is "...here is an Uber driver who has never tipped."
Really huh ?
NEVER tipped !
He could have lied about tipping.
We would never know.

No entiendo inglés, puedes traducirlo al español?
El Cheapo !
No tippo !
No good.

A veteran driver who doesnt tip? How do you live with yourself?
About $5.00 richer a trip,it looks like.

#27 ·
I tried to tip few times, but the drivers insisted to not to accept my tip.
Maybe, they felt me close to them but from different planet. That's why I have never got less than 5 stars out of few hundred rides as a Rider. You'll never know. :)

In addition to above, I told almost all of them that I'm a veteran NYC Uber driver and try to helped them out with the things they are missing, but, language barrier is a huge deal in Miami area. They just don't understand even if you ask them "Busy?", the answer may be "Hoarh?"...
Not all though, some of them are at least trying to speak at least few words of English and they said that they've been trying hard. So, respect to those and gave them 5 stars and appropiate badges.
Conclusion is, the service in Miami is not comparable to the existing chit chow in NYC.
Even the worst Uber driver in NYC could be the one of the "above average" ones in Miami, I guess.
I'm in Houston so don't have a dog in the NYC/Miami fight, but what I CAN say is that if you ever come to my town you know what to do with your "appropriate badges."

#33 ·
I hope on occasion you remove your vanity license plate that says "manhamptn" because i have seen you a dozen times on the road. Your post here is bound to be recognized by a driver you stiffed and passed on the highway going east to your home which is exactly where i have always seen you. By the way you are driving too fast and always passing me but then again i drive too slow. Tip your driver unless he was horrible.

#34 ·
Having grown up and lived in and around NYC most of life I can say that some NY'ers, are so full of sh*t it's scary. Mind you, Miami is no better, but I take everything said by this original poster with a grain of salt. One thing he's spot on with.... the Uber drivers in Miami, for the large part DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! Not a word.....WTF??? That's pathetic and I hear the complaints almost every day. Not to demean drivers who do not speak
English, you have to get at least a proficiency to communicate with passengers from every part of the world. This is your JOB!!!!

#38 ·
Having grown up and lived in and around NYC most of life I can say that some NY'ers, are so full of sh*t it's scary. Mind you, Miami is no better, but I take everything said by this original poster with a grain of salt. One thing he's spot on with.... the Uber drivers in Miami, for the large part DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH!!!! Not a word.....WTF??? That's pathetic and I hear the complaints almost every day. Not to demean drivers who do not speak
English, you have to get at least a proficiency to communicate with passengers from every part of the world. This is your JOB!!!!
I get those complaints a lot too, including from Spanish-speaking pax, but I think there are several components to it.

The first is the actual fluency. In waiting areas at the airport, I have encountered a few drivers who spoke literally NO English -- not one word -- so I know there are many who really do not speak the language at all. I thought basic fluency was a requirement, but I suspect it's not if you're leasing a vehicle from Uber.

On the other hand, I'm Anglo and I have numerous Latin friends who speak perfectly good English, but with a heavy accent. They are perfectly capable of carrying on a conversation in English (one of them is an anesthesiologist), but with some of them I have to pay close attention to every word and sometimes make adjustments for Spanglish. I suspect many of the tourist complaints I get are actually more about accents than non-fluency.

And, of course, many people are simply prejudiced against people who don't look like them, walk like them, talk like them, etc. I'm sure that's part of it as well.

#36 ·
Current New York Rates

Per mile

X $1.75
Xl. $2.85
Suv $4.50
Blk $3.75
Hc $1.75
Uf $1.75

HC: handicapped
FC: family

* it's standard fare not to tip Uber in New
York no one tips.

You need about $7500 For permitting and some minimal legal work. Uber walks you through the process, as well as accompanies you into the TLC.

A couple things from what I understand

Need full Commercial coverage. Not this $50 Geico useless fraud X is down here.

Have to be over 25

Have to pass minimal English at the TLC

Inspections. ..you heard how this guy knows cars.

It's a real business. And real returns.

It's a tough living, this industry hasn't ever been easy.

The question is..

HOW IN THE WORLD UBER GOT AWAY WITH WHAT THEY DID IN SOUTH FLORIDA?

Look at New York. ...a nice regulated market, with insurances and " some " protections for the drivers.

#37 ·
Being a Uber driver here in Miami since may of last year, I could tell you that 80% of people that are tourist here from the USA do tip. And tips are always appreciated. I cannot see a driver not accepting the tips. I called that BS. And also what are you talking about that the cars down here need new shocks/struts or sway bar end links?????? New York has more pot holes than the moon. I was born in New York but lived all my life here in Miami. I would not trade it for anywhere else. Lets not get started on language barriers also. More than half of the driver in New York can't even speak English.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.