Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started driving Uber/Lyft on 1/2/17 as a supplement to a real estate flipping business I own with another. Had the grandiose idea that my flipping biz would be my "nest egg" and the uber/lyft gig will cover my bills. wife works a 9-5 job that pays decent but 99% of her $$ goes to her spending and retirement saving. I basically work 4-5 hours/day on the flipping and then I go into Uber/Lyft mode after that - primarily early evening hours on weekdays, late evening on weekends.

I decided to work various "shifts" during the months of January and February to try and figure out the lucrative times to work taking into account my biz and quality time with wife. And of course, through trial and error, "honed" my rideshare skills learning the pick-up/drop-off locations, short cuts to various venues, getting a better understanding of the kickback opportunities, etc. etc. I made a point to document my time, earnings ( including tips ) during the month of February, which i'll outline below. I figure, it's least I can do given the interesting threads I've read on this site over the last several weeks and maybe others can gain from my cluttered thoughts and findings.

February income:
Uber - $1,872
Lyft - $1,093 ( includes tips paid on app )
Cash tips/kickbacks - $808
Total - $3,773.78

Expenses:

$132/avg/week gas
$30/month unlimited car wash ( I wash 2/week so add $6/week for tips )
$45 for an oil change / tire rotation ( another oil change is needed now )
$30 - misc cleaning supplies and water/candy ( yes, i'm one of those )

average hours per week - 41.2

average rating between both sites - 4.94

I did not track my total miles for February but i have a little over 7200 miles for 2 months.

comments about the experience: I've basically worked all areas of the valley - airport runs, local spots ( I live on westside ) , strip, downtown, all hours with exception of 3:00 am to 6:00 am. I did the occasional "surge chasing", staging at a few spots including the airport. Am I ready to narrow my time to a specific schedule ? Not yet. any times I dislike ? It's a catch-22 with the late night Strip biz. It's annoying to be stuck for 30 minutes on a $5 fare with the threat of someone puking in my car ( only had one puker but thank God, she had a friend there to keep the barf bag close to her mouth and thus no mess, but man, that smell lingered ! ) , but I still have this glimmer of hope that one of these nite club fares will turn into a strip club visit - hasn't happened yet ( had 3 strip club drops in January, NONE in February; also 2 massage drops in January and a big goose egg in February.) My consistent kickback is the liquor store run on airport pick-ups; getting 2-3 of those/week and I find it interesting I usually get a nice tip from the customer because they're so appreciative of my suggestion and taking the time to stop.

I've met some interesting people and even have 2 that are corresponding with me about the flip biz. In the "small world " category, met a lady that currently works for my old junior college football head coach ( from 30+ years ago ! ) I've randomly had the same customer 4 times and boy, is she a character - wonder if she's stalking me ! I've found 3 iphones that were returned the next day. I've been propositioned once ( no thanks, happily married, but she was a stunner !)

Overall, I enjoy interacting with my customers sharing my knowledge of the city - especially the food spots since i'm a pseudo-foodie. I like this town so I'm all for being a promoter of what this fine city offers our customers, I guess i'm basically an Ambassador !! lol

still, some definite areas of frustration dealing with crappy drivers, idiot valet and front door personnel at the hotels and in general, inconsiderate people but hey, that's the nature of the beast.

Anyways, just scratching the surface of this gig and thanks to all of you for providing helpful insight to the Vegas Uber/Lyft world.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I'm weak on the food thing. Whenever I pick someone up that just had dinner, I ask them where they ate and what they liked about it (or didn't). I have an 8 year old daughter who has fallen in love with.......Denny's, so I don't get out to the real restaurants anymore.

BTW that's some nice churn you are doing for ~40 hours a week.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I started driving Uber/Lyft on 1/2/17 as a supplement to a real estate flipping business I own with another. Had the grandiose idea that my flipping biz would be my "nest egg" and the uber/lyft gig will cover my bills. wife works a 9-5 job that pays decent but 99% of her $$ goes to her spending and retirement saving. I basically work 4-5 hours/day on the flipping and then I go into Uber/Lyft mode after that - primarily early evening hours on weekdays, late evening on weekends.

I decided to work various "shifts" during the months of January and February to try and figure out the lucrative times to work taking into account my biz and quality time with wife. And of course, through trial and error, "honed" my rideshare skills learning the pick-up/drop-off locations, short cuts to various venues, getting a better understanding of the kickback opportunities, etc. etc. I made a point to document my time, earnings ( including tips ) during the month of February, which i'll outline below. I figure, it's least I can do given the interesting threads I've read on this site over the last several weeks and maybe others can gain from my cluttered thoughts and findings.

February income:
Uber - $1,872
Total - $3,773.78

Expenses:

$132/avg/week gas

I did not track my total miles for February but i have a little over 7200 miles for 2 months.

comments about the experience: I've basically worked all areas of the valley - airport runs, local spots ( I live on westside ) , strip, downtown, all hours with exception of 3:00 am to 6:00 am. I did the occasional "surge chasing", staging at a few spots including the airport. Am I ready to narrow my time to a specific schedule ? Not yet. any times I dislike ? It's a catch-22 with the late night Strip biz. It's annoying to be stuck for 30 minutes on a $5 fare with the threat of someone puking in my car ( only had one puker but thank God, she had a friend there to keep the barf bag close to her mouth and thus no mess, but man, that smell lingered ! ) , but I still have this glimmer of hope that one of these nite club fares will turn into a strip club visit - hasn't happened yet ( had 3 strip club drops in January, NONE in February; also 2 massage drops in January and a big goose egg in February.) My consistent kickback is the liquor store run on airport pick-ups; getting 2-3 of those/week and I find it interesting I usually get a nice tip from the customer because they're so appreciative of my suggestion and taking the time to stop.

I've met some interesting people and even have 2 that are corresponding with me about the flip biz. In the "small world " category, met a lady that currently works for my old junior college football head coach ( from 30+ years ago ! ) I've randomly had the same customer 4 times and boy, is she a character - wonder if she's stalking me ! I've found 3 iphones that were returned the next day. I've been propositioned once ( no thanks, happily married, but she was a stunner !)

Overall, I enjoy interacting with my customers sharing my knowledge of the city - especially the food spots since i'm a pseudo-foodie. I like this town so I'm all for being a promoter of what this fine city offers our customers, I guess i'm basically an Ambassador !! lol

still, some definite areas of frustration dealing with crappy drivers, idiot valet and front door personnel at the hotels and in general, inconsiderate people but hey, that's the nature of the beast.

Anyways, just scratching the surface of this gig and thanks to all of you for providing helpful insight to the Vegas Uber/Lyft world.
Screenshot your income For proof

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

February income:
Uber - $1,872
Total - $3,773.78

Expenses:

$132/avg/week gas

So you're taking home roughly $740 a week in a 41 hour work week before tips and kickbacks?
WOW!!!!!
Congratulations, you are in the top .0000001% of Las Vegas rideshare drivers!

Before anyone responds with how much they are making, keep in mind that this elite driver is averaging $740 take home not counting tips/kick backs over a month period working only an average of 41 hours per week.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
$740 a week in 41 hours not counting tips or kickbacks?
Have you had a month like that?
Nope, I've gotten almost $800 in 49 hour week, but I don't see the point in calling him out. Maybe he is only counting fare hours and he is actually on the clock 60 hours a week.....

$740 a week in 41 hours not counting tips or kickbacks?
Kickbacks.....my wife chided me endlessly over driving until I brought my first kickback home. She is okay with the driving now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do uber X. No lyft bonus. I haven't hit any of the lyft bonuses. I'll double check the hours but I think I read it correctly. I doubt it's anywhere near 60 hours/week since I take Sunday's off and the time spent with biz, wife and of course, sleep. And keep in mind the lyft income includes tips paid on the app, the $800 is cash tips/kickbacks.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
The reason people are incredulous is that's a really high hourly rate, especially over a period as long as a month. I average just about $15 per hour in fares and Lyft CC tips, and from reading around here, that seems like about what one would expect. Over $18 per hour through 164 hours is significantly higher than that.

How are you counting your hours? Are you going by what Uber and Lyft tell you or are you tracking them?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I did $559 uber in 26.5 hours plus my $87 in cash tips last week.... congrats on your success.. it's actually not that hard to succeed at uber ...I don't know why so many are struggling to make money with uber as I have done very well since day 1......I have been out of town for 4 days and have not driven but my cancellation rate went from 6% to 11% while I was away...very strange lol and I'll post it if there are none believers that want to call me out....

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I did $559 uber in 26.5 hours plus my $87 in cash tips last week.... congrats on your success.. it's actually not that hard to succeed at uber ...I don't know why so many are struggling to make money with uber as I have done very well since day 1......I have been out of town for 4 days and have not driven but my cancellation rate went from 6% to 11% while I was away...very strange lol and I'll post it if there are none believers that want to call me out....
I didn't drive for 3 days, and my cancellation rate went from 10 to 12 to 14 then 18%. It dropped fast as soon as I started driving again, but it was weird. And I hadn't got any new 5 star trips for about a week, then all of a sudden they added almost 20.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As an example, today, started driving at 12 pm; stopped at 3:45 pm due to meeting at a property. During that time:
Uber - 6 trips $28.73. $18 in tips
Lyft - 2 trips $17.41

So clearly not $18/hour, but a little low due to some delays at airport but rides felt bad about their delay and both tipped above average ($5 and $8 ) and Tuesday/Wednesday usually slow for me.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts