Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had other Uber drivers cut me off when pulling into a parking space at the TNC area at SAN.
Plenty of other spaces were available... I don't understand.

An older partially balding ahole cut me off today, he passed a couple of other spaces and almost hit my car.
WTF?

We are all trying to make a buck. Behavior like this is always commented on by the PAX.
They get the idea we are all aholes.

Don't do that. Take the extra 3 seconds to pull into a space that another Uber driver is obviously headed for.
If there were not cameras everywhere, and I didn't have a passenger waiting I may have Tased baldy just for fun. What a jerk.

I may start posting photos from my dash cam if it keeps happening. I think it is time to start outing these drivers that may get the attention of the Port cops.

If there are accidents in the TCN area we may get reduced privileges.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
I have had other Uber drivers cut me off when pulling into a parking space at the TNC area at SAN.
Plenty of other spaces were available... I don't understand.

An older partially balding ahole cut me off today, he passed a couple of other spaces and almost hit my car.
WTF?

We are all trying to make a buck. Behavior like this is always commented on by the PAX.
They get the idea we are all aholes.

Don't do that. Take the extra 3 seconds to pull into a space that another Uber driver is obviously headed for.
If there were not cameras everywhere, and I didn't have a passenger waiting I may have Tased baldy just for fun. What a jerk.

I may start posting photos from my dash cam if it keeps happening. I think it is time to start outing these drivers that may get the attention of the Port cops.

If there are accidents in the TCN area we may get reduced privileges.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
I hope you do report them , I almost got hit a few weeks ago and I chewed uber ass good. If we get hit I told him, we both lose our activation. Freakin ahols, film them and send it to uber

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The parking lot is no place to speed and drive like you are in Fireball 500.

The idiots don't understand there is no place in the airport area that is not covered by cameras.
L.A. may close LAX to TNCs.
This could easily happen at SAN.

I am going to make sure my dash cam is running as I pull into the airport area, and especially the parking lot. I will get the license plates and I will report them to Uber.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Are you a regular airport driver? What's TNC stand for? I occasionally will try and get a pax out of the airport when I have been dragged downtown by another fare but generally I don't work the airport because there's no money in it at least for uberX drivers. You end up waiting like 20 minutes between rides because there are so many uber drivers down there and the fares are like $10 most of time and take you downtown where its a cluster **** and full of $5 fares. In the lot where I wait, I see the same guys all the time. They look like cabbies that have come over to Uber but have taken the taxi driver strategy with them. Which is to circle airports and hotels for tiny fares. That might have worked when they got tips and a higher rate but I don't think you can make money doing that for uber unless you are SUV or black and actually get steady calls which I doubt at those rates in this economy they get. Screw the airport and downtown I do way better with a different strategy. I don't see why you guys work that thing on the regular or have you not tried something else?

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Are you a regular airport driver? What's TNC stand for? I occasionally will try and get a pax out of the airport when I have been dragged downtown by another fare but generally I don't work the airport because there's no money in it at least for uberX drivers. You end up waiting like 20 minutes between rides because there are so many uber drivers down there and the fares are like $10 most of time and take you downtown where its a cluster **** and full of $5 fares. In the lot where I wait, I see the same guys all the time. They look like cabbies that have come over to Uber but have taken the taxi driver strategy with them. Which is to circle airports and hotels for tiny fares. That might have worked when they got tips and a higher rate but I don't think you can make money doing that for uber unless you are SUV or black and actually get steady calls which I doubt at those rates in this economy they get. Screw the airport and downtown I do way better with a different strategy. I don't see why you guys work that thing on the regular or have you not tried something else?
I think we have tried all areas in SD, what's your strategy? The suburbs are pretty good, not many drivers and long runs but more wait time than city neighborhoods. Airport is hot and cold, depends on the time of day. Pretty good last couple of days. What is your hourly gross ride average, not net. You need to hit minimum of $25 average to net $17 hourly net after commission and gas at 25mpg for my car. Profit margin is around 65 to 70% maximum if you get some tips and freeway rides to lower gas bill. I try to connect rides and not go backwards to return to my chosen fishing holes. Fiday I burned to many miles on wrong direction airport pickups and returned to airport for more rides. Drive 300 miles in 12 hours online, grossed $325 at $42 gas expense, netted $215. Yesterday, 8 hours online, grossed $ 275, drove 210 miles at $30 gas expense. $10 tips and netted $200. Much more efficient and 4 hours less time and 100 miles less on my car. Every day is a crap shoot, sometimes you score a $ 45 day ride close to home like last night, got lucky. Hope to hear some info from you, plenty of business to not be greedy with info. Uber was popping fast, Lyft was dead!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I'm pretty close to what your doing. Driving evening and nightlife patrons around the outer cites I find more profitable and way less stressful than working downtown/airport. The guys that swarm the airport are IMO doing it wrong. The worst thing is they are using local business parking areas as their personal wait areas, which is cool if its a random once or twice a day thing and with different cars, but these guys are there all day in their huge black SUVs taking parking spots from the businesses. They are going to get that lot shut down for all drivers if they keep it up. Sucks for me because I only use the airport to try and score a ride out of downtown after I've been dragged down there by a pax.

Last night was decent. I drove 9 hours, 116.8 miles and grossed $238. No tips which was weird because the last couple days I banked like $50 in tips which was also weird (tips are totally sporadic but low-middle class suburbans are probably the best at giving them) and the nearest I got to downtown was UTC for one trip, then I GTFO before some idiot wanted to go downtown or the cove.

PM me if your interested in sharing more info. I also have a tip that I don't want to put on blast here in this forum.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
I'm pretty close to what your doing. Driving evening and nightlife patrons around the outer cites I find more profitable and way less stressful than working downtown/airport. The guys that swarm the airport are IMO doing it wrong. The worst thing is they are using local business parking areas as their personal wait areas, which is cool if its a random once or twice a day thing and with different cars, but these guys are there all day in their huge black SUVs taking parking spots from the businesses. They are going to get that lot shut down for all drivers if they keep it up. Sucks for me because I only use the airport to try and score a ride out of downtown after I've been dragged down there by a pax.

Last night was decent. I drove 9 hours, 116.8 miles and grossed $238. No tips which was weird because the last couple days I banked like $50 in tips which was also weird (tips are totally sporadic but low-middle class suburbans are probably the best at giving them) and the nearest I got to downtown was UTC for one trip, then I GTFO before some idiot wanted to go downtown or the cove.

PM me if your interested in sharing more info. I also have a tip that I don't want to put on blast here in this forum.
Thanks for the reply, does that mileage figure specifically a ride total mileage. Or, is that include dead miles between rides and commute from home. My figure is from door to door commute and rides. I eat a lot from Carlsbad, usually 50 per day average on the commute round trip from home. I'm lucky if I hit $1 per mile including commute miles. I sent you a pm so check it out.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Some X fool in a Prius followed me into Terminal 1 today. First of all, he ran the left turn light behind me at Spanish Landing. I was the last car to go through on a yellow. Then he was driving too fast on the access road and almost hit someone he tried to merge into behind me. He pulled up to a different entry gate than I did, and I saw he had a shirt and tie on, WhatTheF**Ever. He didn't go straight to the pickup spot, and then when he resurfaced, he pulled up so close behind my truck I couldn't open the hatch to get the passenger's luggage in. I can't believe I had to give him the look. I didn't want to say anything because the airport worker was right there trying to copy his license plate onto the little form, and couldn't even see it. We are on a trial basis here, we have to do good work. I love having airport pickups, it's made a huge difference in my pay, usually 30% but if I work it diligently, I can double it.

The attendants are sitting in the heat all day, several of them are really nice to us, I think I'm going to bring them some treats now and then.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Some X fool in a Prius followed me into Terminal 1 today. First of all, he ran the left turn light behind me at Spanish Landing. I was the last car to go through on a yellow. Then he was driving too fast on the access road and almost hit someone he tried to merge into behind me. He pulled up to a different entry gate than I did, and I saw he had a shirt and tie on, WhatTheF**Ever. He didn't go straight to the pickup spot, and then when he resurfaced, he pulled up so close behind my truck I couldn't open the hatch to get the passenger's luggage in. I can't believe I had to give him the look. I didn't want to say anything because the airport worker was right there trying to copy his license plate onto the little form, and couldn't even see it. We are on a trial basis here, we have to do good work. I love having airport pickups, it's made a huge difference in my pay, usually 30% but if I work it diligently, I can double it.

The attendants are sitting in the heat all day, several of them are really nice to us, I think I'm going to bring them some treats now and then.
I would have chewed his ass out like I did a few weeks ago to another idiot who almost backed into me. Such idiots to risk our jobs and airport gig.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do work the airport when ever I am close. It has been working for me.
Check SAN.org for flight status.
I make sure my dash cam is on when I go into the airport.

I decided to no longer work downtown on weekend nights. The money is there but 1 in 3 pings cancel. If I am a half block away on a one way street and have to do 4 rights to get back to a $7.50 fare, It is not worth it for me.

Many PAX are spoiled. Once they see the car moving away to go around the block they cancel.

The same thing with PB.

The new gig starts tomorrow, so I will only drive until the first paycheck, and then only when I want to.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
I do work the airport when ever I am close. It has been working for me.
Check SAN.org for flight status.
I make sure my dash cam is on when I go into the airport.

I decided to no longer work downtown on weekend nights. The money is there but 1 in 3 pings cancel. If I am a half block away on a one way street and have to do 4 rights to get back to a $7.50 fare, It is not worth it for me.

Many PAX are spoiled. Once they see the car moving away to go around the block they cancel.

The same thing with PB.

The new gig starts tomorrow, so I will only drive until the first paycheck, and then only when I want to.
Congratulations on your next gig, who's going to video all the ahols now at the airport? Downtown and pb are way to risky to drive. I don't do anymore bar hopping requests, only to and from those areas. Uber just blocked us from quick cancels not showing up on trip reports so they are watching that now. They are making it harder to avoid these shitty dangerous rides. Hope Google comes out soon as reported. Sidecar is nearly done, package delivery is their future. Lyft struggling, uber is the king and they push us around like pawns in their game to avoid employer taxes. Hope to meet you some time.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Who was this guy following you? You would make the day of the attendants by bringing them treats. You rock Citygirl!
I had a great day...had 8 trips with Uber & Lyfts. One was from Prospect(La Jolla to airport). We have to meet over coffee...how about Monday, 8/17...in the morning sometime?

·
Registered
38 Posts

Who was this guy following you? You would make the day of the attendants by bringing them treats. You rock Citygirl!
I had a great day...had 8 trips with Uber & Lyfts. One was from Prospect(La Jolla to airport). We have to meet over coffee...how about Monday, 8/17...in the morning sometime?

·
Registered
52 Posts
agreed. many of these other drivers need to chill. but seriously i dont think we need the port cops in on it for now. while we are on this trial basis let Uber handle the dirty business until we wedge our foot firmly in the door at SAN.

lets not forget there are tons of taxi drivers chomping at the bit for rides just across the street. cause too much noise trying to get other ******* drivers in trouble and they may cut us out again. and with all those cabbies over there no harm comes to the PAX getting service (from A/P commissioner eyes).

once we get in good and they realize the money's still flowing and minimal disruption from us, then we can use regular police to weed these drivers out. hopefully they'll get the moving violations on the street and uber will auto boot them.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think we will have a say in the Port Police being involved. The area is covered by cameras and there are two employees there.

I thought things had straightened up a bit until yesterday when a black SUV tailgated me, honked and tried to pass me with oncoming traffic.

Same guy was honking at a driver with his flashers helping another driver at the entrance to Term 2 parking. All the gates were open, he was just being an idiot..... caught both incidents on dash cam.

Black short hair, dark complexion, middle eastern features, about 25 or so..... Meth-head or too much coffee.... I sent his photo and the photo of his SUV to Uber San Diego.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i refer more to specifically reporting to port police...

if the cops catch wind on cameras it is what it is.....I just mean we should avoid self-reporting our less classy colleagues to port police and try to get Uber to take care of them instead.

btw I love your avatar

1 - 20 of 27 Posts