Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let us collaborate on a Forum Wiki For New Drivers.

Please add Helpful Posts for New Drivers. You can either Copy & Paste your earlier posts, or link your earlier threads. Please Title your post in COLORED BOLD LETTERS with the topics such as PAYMENTS, GUARANTEES, EMAILING UBER, PROVIDING AMENITIES, TIPS (GRATUITIES), USING THE APP, Etc.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BINDING ARBITRATION

Hi New Forum Members, welcome to the forum! :)

Please read your Partnership Agreement by Logging in to the DASHBOARD with your favorite browser at:
partners.uber.com
You will find it at the bottom of your profile(TAB) page.

Please read this thread:
Binding Arbitration | Here's Uber's Plan To Screw Over Drivers Who Have A Complaint
And this thread by arto71:
Uber's Plan to Keep Driver Complaints Out of Court

New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration. Opting out preserves Drivers' right to seek redress and resolve Disputes with Uber in a Court of Law, and perhaps have their cases certified as Class Action Lawsuits.
Drivers who do not Opt-out are compelled to resolve Disputes on an individual basis through Binding Arbitration only, and cannot even file a claim against Uber in a Small Claims Court.

Binding Arbitration is a Costly method of Dispute resolution. And Drivers are responsible for their fees.
Screenshot_2015-10-06-13-48-55.png

Drivers can Opt-out by Emailing Uber's General Counsel at [email protected]
Include your name and address, and say that you're electing to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tipping or Gratuities

There is an entire Sub Forum devoted to this topic. So please don't start another thread on the ABCs of Tipping on the Uber Platform.
;)

There is No 'In App' on the Uber Platform, except for UberTaxi (Not UberX), which is only available in Boston, Chicago, D.C. & S.F., in the U.S. Tips are set at default 20% in a rider's account for UberTaxi. That coupled with "Tips Included", "Being Uber Means there's No Need To Tip" marketing, is the source of confusion among & lawsuits from Drivers & Riders. Drivers have contractually ceded to Uber the right to use these marketing terms.
IMG_20150803_171800.jpg

If you'd like Tips, try using MrsUberJax's
The Official Driver TAG program, TAG you're it!

Or you can give Tipping/ Candy Jars a try out.

Carry $20 in Cash to make change, and signing up for Square Register is also recommend.
(You can inbox me for Code to receive free processing for first $1,000 in transactions.)

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Insurance

In about ~15 States with newly passed TNC Laws, Uber is providing 'App On' Primary Liability Insurance, and Collison Damage Coverage ($1,000 Deductible) during the Active Ride phase. In these States, the only Coverage Gap that now remains is lack of Collison Damage Coverage during the Period One Phase (App On, No Active Ride).

Insurance companies are now introducing Hybrid or Rideshare Insurance Policies in many States. It is advised that you look into these policies.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Tipping or Gratuitous

There is an entire Sub Forum devoted to this topic. So please don't start another thread on the ABCs of Tipping on the Uber Platform.
;)

There is No 'In App' on the Uber Platform, except for UberTaxi (Not UberX), which is only available in Boston, Chicago, D.C. & S.F. Tips are set at default 20% in a rider's account for UberTaxi. That coupled with "Tips Included", "Being Uber Means there's No Need To Tip" marketing, is the source of confusion among & lawsuits from Drivers & Riders. Drivers have contractually given Uber to use these marketing terms.
View attachment 11189

If you'd like Tips, try using MrsUberJax's
The Official Driver TAG program, TAG you're it!

Or you can give Tipping/ Candy Jars a try out.

Carry $20 in Cash to make change, and signing up for Square Register is also recommend.
(You can inbox me for Code to receive free processing for first $1,000 in transactions.)
Or Paypal app.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So...do I want to opt out?
Yes.
Binding Arbitration | Uber's Attempt To Silence Its Drivers May Have Just Backfired
Better yet, when I opt out, should I expect to receive retaliation? Yes, I'm a newbie, but could someone please help.
New Drivers can Opt-out within 30 Days of signing the Partnership by Emailing Uber's General Counsel at [email protected] Include your Name, Address and state that you're electing to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.

You will Not receive a confirmation email. Your opt-out status is not shared by Uber's General Counsel with your market's operations team, and it will not have any negative repercussions on you.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did opt out, but I never received an email from uber.
Uber does Not send out a confirmation email to the Drivers who email [email protected].
The Driver's email is the confirmation itself, so retain it for your records.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
DASHCAM TALK
Using a dashcam when you are driving is very important. I like having it so much that I feel vulnerable when it's not on...even for personal driving.
You will be put into situations where your passenger can say whatever they want. There are some crazy people out there!! Just the mere accusation that you acted inappropriately, from a girl who had a little too much to drink can get you deactivated, freeze your income(if you are a full-time driver), cost you tons of money in legal fees and possibly damage your reputation. If someone says I did something I didn't do...I will just show them the video(with audio) and guess what...NOW, I have a case against them for "defamation of character". Spending $50-150+ can save you alot of headache. I have a friend who is a cop and he said "the dashcam is the smartest thing you can do to protect yourself...why do you think cops have them?" Sadly, not one of the cars I've ever been a passenger in had one.

Here is my setup and what works for me. I can only speak of this one camera, but as long as you have one...that is what's important. I copy the footage to my computer and save every single ride...deleting the dead miles. After about 60 days, I delete footage that I think is safe to go(groups, couples, etc...) Any time I've ever had one or two people(especially female), it is saved on my NAS at home. I'll delete it whenever I start needing space.

Blacksys CF-100 Dashcam
  • http://www.blacksys.co.kr/eng/product/product.php?id=43
  • They(Blacksys) have several other dashcam options and all(?) are available on Amazon
  • The unit comes with a 16gig MicroSD card. I upgraded to a 64gig
  • Good quality camera and I like the fact that the rear camera can easily be placed anywhere in the cabin to suit your needs. I have mine fixed on my rear view mirror and positioned where I can see pax entering the right side of the vehicle(see pics). The cables fit tightly in my sunglass case overhead compartment. Pax in the rear can only see the two blue lights for power and GPS. At night, you wouldn't even know there is a dashcam there, unless you asked.
Blacksys Rear.jpg Rear Camera.jpg Backseat View .jpg

There only two cons and neither has anything to do with actual image quality:​
    1. The player(software) that comes with the unit does not do a very good job of zoom on the front camera & you cannot zoom the rear footage at all. Don't worry...you can use VLC player or something else to view it. The players' zoom function, actually works like the "magnify" feature of WindowsOS and the more you try to zoom, the more pixelated it gets. The image is GREAT quality, but the player makes it look like it's not(if you're trying to zoom in on footage)
    2. There is no screen for viewing. For me...this is not really a con, because I like how "stealthy" it is. The downside come into play whenever you want to change a setting or whatever, you can only do it with the player software. The software saves the config file on the SD card and loads any changes you may have made. Once I had the settings the way I want...it's not an issue. You will have to play with it to get your rear camera positioned just the way you want it, but once it's set...it's set. I bought a handy device that allows me to remove the MicroSD card and plug it into my phone for viewing(should I ever need it). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL43JAU/?tag=ubne0c-20
See this post for some nighttime images
Below are some current shots
BlackSys_front.jpg BlackSys_front.jpg BlackSys_rear.jpg

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
DASHCAM TALK
Using a dashcam when you are driving is very important. I like having it so much that I feel vulnerable when it's not on...even for personal driving.
You will be put into situations where your passenger can say whatever they want. There are some crazy people out there!! Just the mere accusation that you acted inappropriately, from a girl who had a little too much to drink can get you deactivated, freeze your income(if you are a full-time driver), cost you tons of money in legal fees and possibly damage your reputation. If someone says I did something I didn't do...I will just show them the video(with audio) and guess what...NOW, I have a case against them for "defamation of character". Spending $50-150+ can save you alot of headache. I have a friend who is a cop and he said "the dashcam is the smartest thing you can do to protect yourself...why do you think cops have them?" Sadly, not one of the cars I've ever been a passenger in had one.

Here is my setup and what works for me. I can only speak of this one camera, but as long as you have one...that is what's important. I copy the footage to my computer and save every single ride...deleting the dead miles. After about 60 days, I delete footage that I think is safe to go(groups, couples, etc...) Any time I've ever had one or two people(especially female), it is saved on my NAS at home. I'll delete it whenever I start needing space.

Blacksys CF-100 Dashcam
  • http://www.blacksys.co.kr/eng/product/product.php?id=43
  • They(Blacksys) have several other dashcam options and all(?) are available on Amazon
  • The unit comes with a 16gig MicroSD card. I upgraded to a 64gig
  • Good quality camera and I like the fact that the rear camera can easily be placed anywhere in the cabin to suit your needs. I have mine fixed on my rear view mirror and positioned where I can see pax entering the right side of the vehicle(see pics). The cables fit tightly in my sunglass case overhead compartment. Pax in the rear can only see the two blue lights for power and GPS. At night, you wouldn't even know there is a dashcam there, unless you asked.
View attachment 12402 View attachment 12403 View attachment 12404

There only two cons and neither has anything to do with actual image quality:​
    1. The player(software) that comes with the unit does not do a very good job of zoom on the front camera & you cannot zoom the rear footage at all. Don't worry...you can use VLC player or something else to view it. The players' zoom function, actually works like the "magnify" feature of WindowsOS and the more you try to zoom, the more pixelated it gets. The image is GREAT quality, but the player makes it look like it's not(if you're trying to zoom in on footage)
    2. There is no screen for viewing. For me...this is not really a con, because I like how "stealthy" it is. The downside come into play whenever you want to change a setting or whatever, you can only do it with the player software. The software saves the config file on the SD card and loads any changes you may have made. Once I had the settings the way I want...it's not an issue. You will have to play with it to get your rear camera positioned just the way you want it, but once it's set...it's set. I bought a handy device that allows me to remove the MicroSD card and plug it into my phone for viewing(should I ever need it). http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL43JAU/?tag=ubne0c-20
See this post for some nighttime images
Below are some current shots
View attachment 12407 View attachment 12408 View attachment 12409
POST # 14/ReviTULize: Q U A L I T Y
Presentation
here! I think that THIS Well-Known
deserves a chi1cabby "Attaboy!"

Bison Admires.
Bison Inspires!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some advice:
1) Keep barf bags in the car and tell them where they are if someone is feeling sick.
2) Have tissue dispenser on the passenger side visor.
3) Keep a special sun shade on the drivers side especially useful during dawn and dusk.
3a) When Navigation brings you to where they should be, do a back space, look at the map, and use their ADDRESS irrespective of GPS or Pins.
4) And simple things like saying "Hello folks. Welcome aboard My name is ______________. Who ordered the car... just making sure to protect the person who ordered the car..
5) Tell them Uber has a $1million policy on riders (which is true) and making sure the rider has entered the address will re-enforce the Riders claim to that money if something happens.
6) When you leave ask them if it's too hot or too cold. You can change that to suit them
7) Then I ask if they have a favorite radio station or type of music. ( I put the sound to the back seat and reduce the sound in the front.)
8) Then I tell them that I am following the GPS but if they have a better way of going at any time, to let me know and I'll go their way.
9) When we get closer to their destination, tell them that the GPS may have some issues locally so I will confirm the directions with them when we get close to their destination.
10) Never talk about Religion or Politics. That's the Policy. (they never ask who's policy.)
11) If they ask to stop off for food, I tell them that normally I do not do that because passengers (not me) get very upset about finding spilled food. But if they want to stop, it will be OK only on the condition that they leave the food in the front of the car until they arrive at their destination. If they can live with that compromise, then we can stop. If they agree, and don't give me the food, they know what I will do, (And ,yes, I will do that.) The fact is that drunks will ALWAYS eat regardless of their promises.
12) Pick a "waiting spot" at the intersection of 2 high speed roads. You get the calls if you can reach them faster.
13) Program your personal GPS to not take toll roads. You want a slow and easy return with the Uber app on the whole way going back to "waiting spot".
14) Call the PAX when you arrive, especially at night and confirm their location telling them that you have your flashers on so they know that you are Uber. NOTE: If the GPS is not reliable to find them, immediately backspace and find their pin on the map. The map has store names and street names. Confirm where they are actually located. (Get out of the Navigation App)
15) Have the Uber symbol on the windshield and the rear window. Use a much larger magnetic sign on both doors. (Young girls do not want to ask strangers if they are here to pick them up. When they come up to the car tell them, "Hi my name is xxxx with Uber (Uber has given them your name). Are you waiting for Uber? Who ordered the service? "We try to protect the person ordering so the wrong person does not get a free ride.)

I've only been at this 2 months and my beginnings were disastrous (3.2 rating). Now I'm off review and doing fine. You just need a routine. I hope this helps.

350 Posts
Some advice:
1) Keep barf bags in the car and tell them where they are if someone is feeling sick.
2) Have tissue dispenser on the passenger side visor.
3) Keep a special sun shade on the drivers side especially useful during dawn and dusk.
3a) When Navigation brings you to where they should be, do a back space, look at the map, and use their ADDRESS irrespective of GPS or Pins.
4) And simple things like saying "Hello folks. Welcome aboard My name is ______________. Who ordered the car... just making sure to protect the person who ordered the car..
5) Tell them Uber has a $1million policy on riders (which is true) and making sure the rider has entered the address will re-enforce the Riders claim to that money if something happens.
6) When you leave ask them if it's too hot or too cold. You can change that to suit them
7) Then I ask if they have a favorite radio station or type of music. ( I put the sound to the back seat and reduce the sound in the front.)
8) Then I tell them that I am following the GPS but if they have a better way of going at any time, to let me know and I'll go their way.
9) When we get closer to their destination, tell them that the GPS may have some issues locally so I will confirm the directions with them when we get close to their destination.
10) Never talk about Religion or Politics. That's the Policy. (they never ask who's policy.)
11) If they ask to stop off for food, I tell them that normally I do not do that because passengers (not me) get very upset about finding spilled food. But if they want to stop, it will be OK only on the condition that they leave the food in the front of the car until they arrive at their destination. If they can live with that compromise, then we can stop. If they agree, and don't give me the food, they know what I will do, (And ,yes, I will do that.) The fact is that drunks will ALWAYS eat regardless of their promises.
12) Pick a "waiting spot" at the intersection of 2 high speed roads. You get the calls if you can reach them faster.
13) Program your personal GPS to not take toll roads. You want a slow and easy return with the Uber app on the whole way going back to "waiting spot".
14) Call the PAX when you arrive, especially at night and confirm their location telling them that you have your flashers on so they know that you are Uber. NOTE: If the GPS is not reliable to find them, immediately backspace and find their pin on the map. The map has store names and street names. Confirm where they are actually located. (Get out of the Navigation App)
15) Have the Uber symbol on the windshield and the rear window. Use a much larger magnetic sign on both doors. (Young girls do not want to ask strangers if they are here to pick them up. When they come up to the car tell them, "Hi my name is xxxx with Uber (Uber has given them your name). Are you waiting for Uber? Who ordered the service? "We try to protect the person ordering so the wrong person does not get a free ride.)

I've only been at this 2 months and my beginnings were disastrous (3.2 rating). Now I'm off review and doing fine. You just need a routine. I hope this helps.
In my experience a warm greeting and an efficient route is all that is needed, but I admire your diligence.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Uber Arbitration Form ( .PDF )

I suggest that all of those that did NOT opt-out, download, fill out and return this form to:

Elizabeth Lopez Beltran
Paralegal
Lichten & Liss-Riordan, P.C.
729 Boylston Street, Suite 2000
Boston, MA 02116
Tel: (617) 994-5800
Fax: (617) 994-5801
[email protected]
www.llrlaw.com

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
BINDING ARBITRATION

Hi New Forum Members, welcome to the forum! :)

Please read your Partnership Agreement. New Drivers have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration. Opting out preserves Drivers' right to seek redress and resolve Disputes with Uber in a Court of Law, and perhaps have their cases certified as Class Action Lawsuits.
Drivers who do not Opt-out are compelled to resolve Disputes on an individual basis through Binding Arbitration only, and cannot even file a claim against Uber in a Small Claims Court.

Drivers can Opt-out by Emailing Uber's General Counsel at [email protected]
Include your name and address, and say that you're electing to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration.
Thanks chi cabby for you contrbution to new drivers your post are excellent keep em coming

1 - 20 of 36 Posts