Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the VIRGINIA one we stopped 15miles before her house and I waited in the parking lot for 40min on the clock,so really it was like 1hr 30min drive

Bad thing was, im not registered to pick up in Virginia so i had to drive dead miles back to the DC line. I sat downtown for almost 2 hours,no surge (thats all I do in DC) so went back to greater Maryland for 1 more trip. Only did 3 trips today but made over $200(gross)

If DC would simply raise their rates,with the pings they get, it would be love. But Uber has low rates in all the big cities

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
So, with all the dead miles you still didn't make that much then, negating all the "surge" rate....

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, with all the dead miles you still didn't make that much then, negating all the "surge" rate....
for one all the rides posted were at regular rate, no surge
2nd, even if i picked up in Bowie(which is the DC market), Im still going to get dead miles solely because I'm not registerrd in Virginia. Any trip going to Virginia is automatic dead miles for me. The deeper in Virginia, of course the worse it is. But its rare i have trips ending in Virginia(especially when most my trips originate in northern greater Maryland ) so no biggie really. Doing reg trips in dc you'll get Virginia trips all the time (but i rarely do those since its rarely surges)

the other trip, for $54, i ended up in dc, so i stayed in dc,until i caught a lil surge (only 1.3x),so min dead miles. I stay trying to get a surge ride in dc that will take me closer back to greater Maryland area

·
Registered
569 Posts
the VIRGINIA one we stopped 15miles before her house and I waited in the parking lot for 40min on the clock,so really it was like 1hr 30min drive

Bad thing was, im not registered to pick up in Virginia so i had to drive dead miles back to the DC line. I sat downtown for almost 2 hours,no surge (thats all I do in DC) so went back to greater Maryland for 1 more trip. Only did 3 trips today but made over $200(gross)

If DC would simply raise their rates,with the pings they get, it would be love. But Uber has low rates in all the big cities
I am in essentially the opposite situation...since I live in Virginia, but not registered to drive, there is no way to avoid dead miles at the start and finish of my driving time. This struck me on a recent weekend as I decided whether to head across the American Legion or Wilson bridges...that was an awfully long trip when in the past I could be online and might pickup a request along the way. If the Nationals were playing I probably would have headed towards DC, but I did not want to get sucked into the 14th Street or Georgetown vortex.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in essentially the opposite situation...since I live in Virginia, but not registered to drive, there is no way to avoid dead miles at the start and finish of my driving time. This struck me on a recent weekend as I decided whether to head across the American Legion or Wilson bridges...that was an awfully long trip when in the past I could be online and might pickup a request along the way. If the Nationals were playing I probably would have headed towards DC, but I did not want to get sucked into the 14th Street or Georgetown vortex.
Yeah dead miles is gonna be part of the game, no way around it,no matter what market you choose to drive. But if i lived in VA i probably would register. I be seeing a couple scant surges in arlington

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why aren't you registered in va? I live in leesburg and I am covering my dead miles by getting rides towards Arlington/dc(where the most pings are). I mainly do weekend nights and 9/10 times I end up down that way..

·
Registered
569 Posts
Why aren't you registered in va? I live in leesburg and I am covering my dead miles by getting rides towards Arlington/dc(where the most pings are). I mainly do weekend nights and 9/10 times I end up down that way..
Short answer...I am not convinced that the Virginia DMV is not going to share TNC vehicle information with Fairfax County resulting in my personal property tax going up. This is a grey area IMO and it would cost me $500-600 per year if my vehicle was classified as commercial.

The second reason is that I do not like the permanent yellow TNC registration sticker on my license plate. I am totally UTR with friends/neighbors regarding my Uber activity and plan on keeping it that way.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I plan to stay out of DC today, will be doing the Columbia Jessup area and see how that works out.. DC business has been way too slow recently.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i found myself in gathersberg last night and a luck ride back to dc. however i thought that was greater md. ubers map online sucks, they made it all fancy black and silver now hard to see where it is.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Entire Montgomery County is DC market, this includes all the farm country north of Gaithersburg to Hyattstown and Poolesville.

·
Registered
201 Posts
nutzareus Are you saying if I am based in Montg County (Germantown to be precise) I can go to DC and can get pings when I am there? I am registered with Greater Maryland.
Thanks allot.

BTW, do you mind letting me know how Montgomery County has been for you?

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nutzareus Are you saying if I am based in Montg County (Germantown to be precise) I can go to DC and can get pings when I am there? I am registered with Greater Maryland.
?
not sure about that. but most likely you can pick up in DC. regulations between md and dc are pretty much the same. I def know you woldnt be able to pickup in va, without getting their inspection and TNC mess

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I don't get pings in DC or Virginia with my Baltimore (Greater Maryland) account. My car doesn't appear on the passenger app. If I want to pick up I switch to my DC account, but I'm passing on that until UberFOOL issues go away. I don't work afternoons, evenings, or weekends anymore. Just the morning commute southbound on I-270.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts