Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a real good day on Sunday, had a 1.5 to EWR from Princeton so I usually set destination filter for Trenton but felt like exploring. So I get a ping 30 sec after drop off and it's some guy headed to Upper Saddle River. Said he just got in from a 3:30 flight from Phoenix so he asks if he can eat in the car. I'm like sure, as long as you don't make a mess. Didn't say a word the entire trip, pulled into to his 8-10 million house. No tip, couple rides later I see white crud on the seats and half eaten muffin under the seats. What a ahole! My next trip I pick up these two 20 somethings at a mini-mart in Mahwah take them about 3 miles straight up a mountain, and they give me 5 bucks. Doing this for 6 months now, people amaze me everyday...I simply can't figure them out. I guess most rich people stay rich because they are cheap as***.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had a real good day on Sunday, had a 1.5 to EWR from Princeton so I usually set destination filter for Trenton but felt like exploring. So I get a ping 30 sec after drop off and it's some guy headed to Upper Saddle River. Said he just got in from a 3:30 flight from Phoenix so he asks if he can eat in the car. I'm like sure, as long as you don't make a mess. Didn't say a word the entire trip, pulled into to his 8-10 million house. No tip, couple rides later I see white crud on the seats and half eaten muffin under the seats. What a ahole! My next trip I pick up these two 20 somethings at a mini-mart in Mahwah take them about 3 miles straight up a mountain, and they give me 5 bucks. Doing this for 6 months now, people amaze me everyday...I simply can't figure them out. I guess most rich people stay rich because they are cheap as***.
You should request cleaning fees for that. This is a easy $80 cleaning fee. Nothing personal, its just business.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm hoping you took pictures and sent in for a cleaning fee.
Muffin crumbs will get you $20... the curd, being a wet food will get for $40 if you explain the possibility of odor.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Not that it matters. If you didn't give the "muffin eater" 1 star. I would go back and change the rating. Not that it matters.

Also, take photos and write to Uber for cleaning fee.

People can eat in the car as long as they take out their garbage and don't spill it. Also, it can't smell.

People who tip are old people and blue collar. Not to say I have not been tipped by rich people. But rarely.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely 1-star....but I did not request cleaning fee, which I should have. I was debating it in my head, but then I figured this cheap a** would make a stink and after writing to Uber Customer Support about another issue and telling them how utterly worthless they are, I dropped it. I actually like driving for Uber as what they so eloquently call "a side gig", but I also do this for the people interactions. I consider myself a people person and generally get along with everyone, but I see or hear something every day that amazes me......hell, I even have a better opinion of myself after dealing with some these gems. I guess I'm not such a bad guy :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see it all the time, working class folks will tip much more than the rich joe.
I totally agree, but I always ask why. Do the rich look down on people not of their standing? Are they afraid their money is going to diminish? I'm a middle class schmuck with a decent job, but I was always raised by my parents who were also very middle class, that if someone does a service for you and they are generally nice, it nevers hurts to throw them a couple of bucks.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I totally agree, but I always ask why. Do the rich look down on people not of their standing? Are they afraid their money is going to diminish? I'm a middle class schmuck with a decent job, but I was always raised by my parents who were also very middle class, that if someone does a service for you and they are generally nice, it nevers hurts to throw them a couple of bucks.
A few decades back, after my grandfather died, my aunt was shipping his piano to her brother several states away. When the moving guys came with the truck and loaded it up, she gave them a tip for the care that they had shown in loading the piano, made sure that their thermoses were filled with fresh hot coffee, and packed up several sandwiches for them to take with them on their trip. When they got to their destination with the piano, my other aunt and uncle did the same thing.

That's what blue collar does.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My only guess is that they don't appreciate the dollar as much because its not something they have to think about. To us a $5 tip means a lot, to them its nothing, so they don't think about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This has totally been my experience as well. Those with the million dollar homes never tip. the blue collar and the elderly tip. I do think that the well off don't tip because they don't think the few bucks is worth much. Not that they are mean or anything, they just don't think of it as much. The blue collar dude knows the meaning of a buck, and know that we appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Here in my opinion are 2 mistakes.
Why do you want people to eat in your car? What is the upside? Downside-
You now know.
Second- you knew he was eating but you didn't immediately look behind or get out of car and do inspection to make sure that it's clean.
I get out look it over and if there is crap I have no issue saying get back here and clean 1 star.
Been there before. My rules my car
No eating or open drinks even a soda.
Cost a guy 40$ for spilling a cocktail in back mat. Smelled and it was a fight to get the money. I once had a guy who gets in with a to go container said he couldn't eat. I won't . Hear him chewing- call him out on it- he burps a minute later- got dropped off in a wooded area a mile from his place at 2AM Middletown 25 degrees outside no coat. I felt in the right. You want to hear people chewing and all that. You decide your Peter principle and stick to it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
When I was working as a Valet Parking, at a fime dining restaurant, I always get the best tip from people who drive regular cars. I parked $150k cars and I got $2 tips after that person just spent $200 or more on dinner. Figure it out!!!!! I got $10 tips from regular people with junk cars who was attending a event there. I never figured out why is not the other way around. 1% of rich people are nice. 1%. Not more than that

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You now know.
Second- you knew he was eating but you didn't immediately look behind or get out of car and do inspection to make sure that it's clean.
I get out look it over and if there is crap I have no issue saying get back here and clean 1 star.
Cost a guy 40$ for spilling a cocktail in back mat. Smelled and it was a fight to get the money. I once had a guy who gets in with a to go container said he couldn't eat. I won't . Hear him chewing- call him out on it- he burps a minute later- got dropped off in a wooded area a mile from his place at 2AM Middletown 25 degrees outside no coat. I felt in the right. You want to hear people chewing and all that. You decide your Peter principle and stick to it.
You are right about one thing, and I often don't do this because I just forget or I'm busy with the next call....always check the back of the car, eating or not. As a rule, I don't let people eat in the car, but I was thinking tired guy going to Upper Saddle River = potential tip. Lesson learned

·
Registered
292 Posts
i've been in your shoes i know exactly what you mean,i'm fed up with the rich.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You are right about one thing, and I often don't do this because I just forget or I'm busy with the next call....always check the back of the car, eating or not. As a rule, I don't let people eat in the car, but I was thinking tired guy going to Upper Saddle River = potential tip. Lesson learned
There's no better teacher than experience. It's best just to have a standard rule and stick to it. Please no eating, drinking or smoking in the car.

·
Registered
786 Posts
When I was working as a Valet Parking, at a fime dining restaurant, I always get the best tip from people who drive regular cars. I parked $150k cars and I got $2 tips after that person just spent $200 or more on dinner. Figure it out!!!!! I got $10 tips from regular people with junk cars who was attending a event there. I never figured out why is not the other way around. 1% of rich people are nice. 1%. Not more than that
You should've taken their cars and do quick burn out contest around the corner lol.

·
Premium Member
4,826 Posts
You now know.
Great move!!! Did you ever hear from Uber? Did he complain you left him there?

Couple nights ago I pick up a young woman server from a middle tier restaurant. She immediately tells me how busy it was that night and how well she made out that night. At one point I heard her counting her stack and I'm thinking she's getting ready to give me a tip as we're getting close to her home. Well she gets out no tip instant one star. Today pick up a young man a busboy at a restaurant/bar and as soon as he gets in he asked if he could leave a tip through the system on his credit card. Explain to him if he felt like tipping me after the ride it would have to be in cash since Uber did not have a system for tipping in app. As soon as we arrived at his home he asked me if I had a $10 bill because he only had a $20 bill. I told him I believe I did and he tipped me $10. I had a conversation the other day with the woman that cuts my hair and explained to her that Rideshare drivers really do appreciate tips and most people don't see us as service providers like they do hairdressers barbers restaurant servers. She agreed with me and said that she make sure that she always tells her friends to tip the drivers. Some of it has to do with educating these passengers and the rest is just ignorant people like the rich guy that didn't tip the OS.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.