Uber Drivers Forum banner

8-30-15 | 35-year-old man posing as Uber driver charged with kidnapping 19-year-old female

3K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  D Town 
#1 ·
#7 ·
A 35-year-old man posing as an Uber driver was arrested Monday after the Aug. 30 attempted abduction of a 19-year-old Tallahassee Community College student.

Antonio D. Warren was arrested by the Florida State University Police Department after they say he picked up the woman outside of a university dorm Gilchrist Hall Sunday morning around 1 a.m and then attempted to kidnap her.

Warren is charged with kidnapping with intent to commit a felony, a first-degree felony. He is being held at the Leon County Jail on $15,000 bond.

FSUPD Chief David Perry gave details of the incident and subsequent arrest at a press conference on campus Tuesday morning.

According to Perry, the woman was waiting outside the residence hall when Warren pulled up in a sedan and indicated he was a driver for the ride sharing service Uber. She asked to be taken to Player's Club Apartments at 222 Ocala Road.

Investigators later determined Warren was not a Uber driver and had no affiliation with the company.

She entered the car but noticed as it wove through Tallahassee that the driver was taking the wrong route to her stated destination.

Court records say Warren stopped at another apartment complex and a gas station before exposing himself to the passenger and demanding sexual favors.

The woman refused and got out of the car at the apartment complex before Warren gave chase and grabbed her arm and buttocks.

The woman was able to pick Warren out of a photo lineup, naming him as her assailant. During a voluntary interview with investigators, he made statements that corroborated the woman's account of the incident and he was arrested.

Sunday's incident has not been connected to a string of attempted abductions in Tallahassee over the past few months, Perry said.

#9 · (Edited)
TY, poppy and riCh for the readable formats.

LOL, TFM! :D

This is another good example why (my opinion) Uber drivers should have a permit through the city to show they have been through the FBI background check. The permit "validates" the trade dress.

JM2¢W

#12 ·
Anyone can buy a trade dress off Ebay and claim to be a driver.
Exactly.
This is why I push so hard for LICENSED.
Livery plates and insurance. Permit numbers!
Heck, I bet any of us here could get one of our graphics talented friends to clone that trade dress in under 20 minutes.
Licensed, plated, permitted and insured protects YOU, and the pax.
Would ruin TKs plan for world domination tho.

#13 ·
Anyone can buy a trade dress off Ebay and claim to be a driver.
Anyone can buy a cop uniform, EMS outfit, or three piece suit, too.
With UBER and LYFT, all a rider has to do is match the LIC PLATE # to the car and the DRIVER PHOTO to the driver.
NO MATCH? NO GO!
How f8cking difficult is that, even if you're half in the bag?

Anyone (and yes, especially a woman) that just hops in a car that pulls up is an idiot.

#14 ·
With all due respect Michael, many pax are idiots.
Back before UberX, it was gypsy cabs. $35 for a bubble light, no one checks credentials to purchase it.
Ive found functioning meters on Ebay for $100.
90 minutes wiring time and you are "in business".
I've seen drunks jumping in gypsys checking NOTHING.
$35 worth of plastic.
Don't over estimate the pax.

#18 ·
TY, poppy and riCh for the readable formats.

LOL, TFM! :D

This is another good example why (my opinion) Uber drivers should have a permit through the city to show they have been through the FBI background check. The permit "validates" the trade dress.

JM2¢W
And proper insurance. Just because some idiot agent says "Sure....not a problem, " means nothing. And if you think some $25,000 policy will keep the lawyers away....I have a bridge for sale. And hurry before surge bidding starts. :)

#28 ·
Better chance of being raped...
Really - that's your 'evidence'?
An agenda driven website that can site only 35 news reports of sexual assaults by Uber drivers?
You do know that Uber provides more than 1 million rides EVERY DAY?
That's about 400,000,000 rides a year.

Here's the math: 35 / 400,000,000 = 0.0000000875
(that's 0.00000875% odds of an Uber... no, of ANY rideshare ride resulting in a sexual assault)

And from The Atlantic... (March 2015)
"...there's little to suggest that the newest form of ridesharing is significantly riskier than the old one."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.