Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove a guy out near Winterset last night, two lane road. Kept my speed to 50 mph since deer are active this time of year. Still hit a Raccoon to the tune of $600 damage to my Prius. Fortunately the car is like a plastic snap tight toy and the body guy just snapped the front back together and I will wait and see if the radiator leaks, may be able to avoid the repair. But esp this time of year, I'm going to try and avoid the two lane roads going out of town and use the interstate if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Drove a guy out near Winterset last night, two lane road. Kept my speed to 50 mph since deer are active this time of year. Still hit a Raccoon to the tune of $600 damage to my Prius. Fortunately the car is like a plastic snap tight toy and the body guy just snapped the front back together and I will wait and see if the radiator leaks, may be able to avoid the repair. But esp this time of year, I'm going to try and avoid the two lane roads going out of town and use the interstate if at all possible.
Ouch! Jeff 1, Raccoons 0

·
Registered
422 Posts
You would know if it poked a hole in your radiator, it would blow the coolant out and you would see steam. Keep driving with a hole and you will need a new motor. My son did that in an old Honda Accord. Cost was around $1,200 when the smoke cleared.

What did you earn for the trip? Driving back empty. Time = money = gas/repairs/tires etc.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A raccoon can f up a prius that bad ey? that clearance..

·
Super Moderator
16,080 Posts
Tip for everyone, you may or may not want to try. I have and it worked for me.

A few years ago I was traveling up north near Sacramento. My radiator in my Dodge 4x4 V-10 pick up started to leak. It was Saturday evening, about 6 pm, and I was 400 miles from home. :mad:

Being that late shops were closed, no where to get it replaced or fixed until MONDAY. Then I remembered a tip I had heard about. If you get a leak in your radiator add ground chili pepper to the water.

I figured WTH worst that could happen is I break down and have to get towed. I went to the 99 cent store bought a small container of it, poured about 5 tablespoons into radiator.

Worked so well, I made it home 400 miles, drove the truck for two years. Sold it and never had to fix the radiator. :)

Reactions: UberXTampa

·
Registered
422 Posts
Maybe we should carry the stuff in the car! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,080 Posts
Maybe we should carry the stuff in the car! :)
I actually buy a little container whenever I travel long distance and pop it in the glove box.

Chili pepper is also good as an insecticide. Let it soak in a little water then put in a hand sprayer with a 1/4 cup of dish soap and a couple table spoons of vegetable oil, fill up with HOT water.

Heard this concoction works for squirrels too. But haven't tryed it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts