Uber Drivers Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,550 Posts
I always thought that a company that operates on a more regional level would challenge for market share
A virtually limitless supply of replacement drivers from the Third World has enabled these gig companies to basically rewrite some of the traditional laws about how markets work.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,792 Posts
A virtually limitless supply of replacement drivers from the Third World has enabled these gig companies to basically rewrite some of the traditional laws about how markets work.
Your right !
The playing field is not level.

·
Premium Member
7,550 Posts
Your right !
The playing field is not level.
A major obstacle for any new "IC" rideshare competitor that believes in paying respectable rates to the drivers is Uber's ability to engage in predatory pricing at rates that the competitors can't match without hemorrhaging money.

A virtually limitless supply of low-wage Third World immigrant replacement drivers would allow Uber to slash their fares and still be solvent.

If Uber was mandated by the govt to pay drivers decent rates like Seattle, predatory pricing would be much more likely to backfire on Uber because the playing field (driver pay rates) would be level.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,792 Posts
A major obstacle for any new "IC" rideshare competitor that believes in paying respectable rates to the drivers is Uber's ability to engage in predatory pricing at rates that the competitors can't match without hemorrhaging money.

A virtually limitless supply of low-wage Third World immigrant replacement drivers would allow Uber to slash their fares and still be solvent.

If Uber was mandated by the govt to pay drivers decent rates like Seattle, predatory pricing would be much more likely to backfire on Uber because the playing field (driver pay rates) would be level.
I never looked at it from that standpoint

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,792 Posts
Yeah, that ruffles my feathers.
Sure does.
Now I have told passengers that I'm sorry but I was not aware that the ride destination was so far away and I will cancel without cost to you.
I have also offered to drive them half way or 45 minutes toward there destination.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I will start working for Lyft when he shows the direction of the trip. Lyft is showing that it is a company that is not worth investing in. Whoever works for Lyft loses money and time.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,792 Posts
I will start working for Lyft when he shows the direction of the trip. Lyft is showing that it is a company that is not worth investing in. Whoever works for Lyft loses money and time.
I have know trouble at all as they tell me pick up time as well as destination.

·
Administrator
6,638 Posts
NYC did that not Seattle.

NYC drivers are guaranteed an hourly minimum, thus the companies put limits on the number of drivers.

If the Seattle govt has any brains whatsoever they won't copy the NYC model.
What about just letting drivers set their own rates like other independent contractors?

The drawback might be drivers who have no idea about long term vehicle costs driving at break even or loss rates that affect everyone else.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I agree. Several months ago I took a Lyft ride, and the driver was from somewhere (insert name of 3rd World Country here) and in his opinion he was living his best life. He spoke about how just 2 weeks after coming to America he has a brand new car and he's making all of this money. I was just looking at him like, "you're an idiot." I wonder if he's "woke" now.🙄

·
12,926 Posts
Not in our Market. That's been here for a while now.

We swear we will cut your rate again so everyone will get more requests.
Oddly enough, our rental drivers just got notification of yet another pay cut. So far it only applies to the rental drivers. However with the new rates, they'll never be able to afford to get out of a rental. You ready for this? Their new per mile pay rate is $0.37/mi!!! That is absolutely disgusting
I can't believe that some geek has not come up with a new app to compete with Uber and Lyft.
it's not that someone can't or hasn't came up with a new app. It's more like, why would they? Obviously these companies can't turn profit. So a company would be stupid to come in at the current rates. Sure they can up the rates but then they won't get the passenger demand. So they would literally be coming in guaranteed to fail.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
They tried to trip me up on the last ride for the 44$. 20 min away and 20 minutes further away from home. I just parked it. To see if Waldo would cancel, nope. I'm near two Amazon warehouses, at 5 til the top of the hour. I canceled and moments later got the Amazon trip to within a mile from home. This is how one should play them.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,792 Posts
Not in our Market. That's been here for a while now.

Oddly enough, our rental drivers just got notification of yet another pay cut. So far it only applies to the rental drivers. However with the new rates, they'll never be able to afford to get out of a rental. You ready for this? Their new per mile pay rate is $0.37/mi!!! That is absolutely disgusting

it's not that someone can't or hasn't came up with a new app. It's more like, why would they? Obviously these companies can't turn profit. So a company would be stupid to come in at the current rates. Sure they can up the rates but then they won't get the passenger demand. So they would literally be coming in guaranteed to fail.
Very well said

·
Premium Member
7,550 Posts
Obviously these companies can't turn profit.
If you look at the their quarterly reports (which conveniently don't show the results by country or even continent), you'll see that the largest source of their "losses" is Stock-Based Compensation. A big part of that is all the billions of dollars worth of acquisitions including Postmates.

On top of that they've spent billions on R&D for flying cars, robocars, boats, etc.

Their rideshare "technology" is extremely mature. Despite their "technology company" boasts, they're little more than a dispatch and payment collection company whose startup and expansion costs were amortized a long time ago.

They're making money on our rides, and if they stuck to the basics of transporting people and things they'd be a very profitable company.

The major obstacle potential competitors face is Uber's ability to engage in predatory pricing. Uber has a virtually limitless supply of Third World immigrant replacement drivers who are paid puny rates, so Uber could cut fares to levels that would cause competitors to hemorrhage money.

If the govt decides to step in and regulate driver pay rates or converts the drivers to employees, then a true opening would exist for new competitors.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Howabout just paying your driviers an 80/20 split. Full transperancy on how much rider pays and breakdown. Howabout have a lockout for distances that are too far away like 20 miles. Give me a reward for picking that up. Howabout 7 dollar minimum fare on all rides

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Stop driving for them, problem solved.

Why are you allowing these parasites and thieves to remain in business by driving for them? All it takes is everyone stops driving for 1 year and the company flops.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts