Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Oh, there's so much more to it than that article discusses. Other than that, I think it's a pretty accurate report.

Optimistically, 10 years.

Reactions: Yomann

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think in 10 years, many of us will not be driving for U/L anymore.
But, this study and others like it, will be of great concern to investors in Uber and Lyft's IPO shares.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I think what drivers need to be worried about is the move to full employment. As a full employee the company will have far more control over what you do and how you do it. You will be paid minimum wage (Wall Street will demand it). You'll not be able to get more than 35 hours/week so they can avoid providing healthcare. You'll have to wear a uniform. You won't be able to choose your hours. You won't be allowed to work for a competing company at the same time.

Etc.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They're working on a middle ground solution in CA, where a new category of employment can be sanctioned that would be sort of a hybrid status, but with benefits and flexibility at the same time.

Only time will tell, but it should be sometime this year!

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I think what drivers need to be worried about is the move to full employment. As a full employee the company will have far more control over what you do and how you do it. You will be paid minimum wage (Wall Street will demand it). You'll not be able to get more than 35 hours/week so they can avoid providing healthcare. You'll have to wear a uniform. You won't be able to choose your hours. You won't be allowed to work for a competing company at the same time.

Etc.
That is one guarantee that I can be sure of. That I will never be an employee of Uber/Lyft. It's the only thing left that makes this job bearable. If they treat non employees/partners as bad as they do then I don't care to find out how they would treat employees of these companies. No thanks. I'm out.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
They're working on a middle ground solution in CA, where a new category of employment can be sanctioned that would be sort of a hybrid status, but with benefits and flexibility at the same time.
That would be interesting, if they can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That would be interesting, if they can figure it out.
You have to factor in that it's not just gig workers that are in this demographic. It's also contractors that work in tech as well as their supporting staff. A lot of companies use the "contract" label to make it easy to lay off people, deny benefits, employee perks, etc.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts

Etc.
This is bullshit fear mongerIng. If we are deemed employees then we can organize and strike for better conditions. Also they will have to treat us the same as their corporate employees, same benefits etc.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Etc.
I'm fine with all that
It ain't like I am working for myself now
They control everything
If from tomorrow they said you have to wear a white cap for safety purposes or you will not be able to drive, what would you do? Or if they said we are capping your hours to 35hrs a weed, what would you do, then ? Or if they said you can't be working for Lyft too because we said so, then what? Stop lying to yourself that you have any self autonomy.

Uber and Lyft would not be profitable with employees across all markets
I bet you their New York offices will be their least profitable. Do you know how easy it is to slack off with no boss around telling you what to do? Even if they forced people to accept all rides, you would catch me chilling next to a bbq in the woods "accepting" all the rides ?????????⚽????

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

Etc.
Rides per hour and pay per hour are already controlled as if we are employees.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would be great, if Uber would just charge the drivers a fixed trip fee and charge the pax a booking fee and that’s it.
Let the drivers set their own fares and just provide support services.

Unpredictable prices, yes! But, like craigslist, it would still function and millions of trips would get done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.