Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's ridiculous how cheap these people are. They expect more and more from drivers. They want us to have snacks, drinks, load their luggage, have an aux cord.
Oh, and then they ding you for the dumbest things, like not liking the music being played, but not speaking up once throughout the ride, or leaving a negative review for navigation even when they can clearly see the drivers gps and dont say what route they would like to go instead.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's ridiculous how cheap these people are. They expect more and more from drivers. They want us to have snacks, drinks, load their luggage, have an aux cord.
Oh, and then they ding you for the dumbest things, like not liking the music being played, but not speaking up once throughout the ride, or leaving a negative review for navigation even when they can clearly see the drivers gps and dont say what route they would like to go instead.
My pax only was hoping for snacks on thursday.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Welcome to the game. It's awful and stressful and obnoxious. Be sure to write everybody who doesn't tip a four or less and never provide any of that garbage except for maybe a phone charger if it's easy and convenient for you. At these prices all these idiots get is a safe ride from a to B and nothing more

·
Registered
27 Posts
Over $200 tips this week on 35 runs.

No sign, no tip jar.
At $200.00 on 35 trips would be $5.71 per trip Avg. Conmon you know that's bullshit.

A good night of tips for me is $50.00 a weekend or two nights Avg. 30 + trips combined which is avg $1.66 and I live in Fairfield County Connecticut one of richest counties in world.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
At $200.00 on 35 trips would be $5.71 per trip Avg. Conmon you know that's bullshit.

A good night of tips for me is $50.00 a weekend or two nights Avg. 30 + trips combined which is avg $1.66 and I live in Fairfield County Connecticut one of richest counties in world.
I don't drive UberX. I drive XL/Select. Not uncommon for a pax to tip me $20 on an airport run. Fri/Sat nights I have disco lights in the Suburban... that also brings in the tips. I also run Lyft Plus/Premier... the in-app tip option gets used a lot for me. I purposely lean towards Lyft on the weekend nights just because of the in-app tip option.

Most of my reviews on Uber/Lyft are to say, "best driver I have ever had".

When I drove UberX, tips were tough to come by. My point is that there is money out there, just not on UberX. I can make that kind of money in tips in the other tiers and not even have to solicit for them.

https://www.instagram.com/seattlesupersuburban/

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
$25 on Uber 3 runs last night.... one group parked down the street on the Hill and had me take them into the fire, I thought.....these cheap b/aa% , but they were very cool and threw me a $5. Always have to wait post ride to judge. Other crew from Deadmaus concert $20.

Lyft was light tips wise, lucky to get 10% (this week only 5% yikes. I am partially guilty as I offer 0 ammenities, just an Aux cord and charger, I'm sure I could up the tips with water, sanitary wipes (think how gross the car handles are for pax, they may appreciate those on exit)..... may try it.
Water is an issue though, 6 pax....how could I stay stocked and where the hell do I put the bottles for easy access.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Definitely hustle for your tips. I made my own tip jar with string lights that does wonders on evening runs.

Lyft pax know you can't technically rate them on tips so it's hit and miss. More tips but often 1 or 2 bucks.

Remember higher rated pax mean you are more likely to get a tip. The chances of a 4.6 tipping you is low. They would be a 4.9 if they tipped their driver.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't drive UberX. I drive XL/Select. Not uncommon for a pax to tip me $20 on an airport run. Fri/Sat nights I have disco lights in the Suburban... that also brings in the tips. I also run Lyft Plus/Premier... the in-app tip option gets used a lot for me. I purposely lean towards Lyft on the weekend nights just because of the in-app tip option.

Most of my reviews on Uber/Lyft are to say, "best driver I have ever had".

When I drove UberX, tips were tough to come by. My point is that there is money out there, just not on UberX. I can make that kind of money in tips in the other tiers and not even have to solicit for them.

https://www.instagram.com/seattlesupersuburban/
If you are that food of a driver, why do you waste your talents with Uber?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
If you are that food of a driver, why do you waste your talents with Uber?
Working towards that as a goal. I want to take that step within two years. Plan is to pay off my current rig, then take that step. I don't want to lease a vehicle from someone, I don't want to drive desperate to make a weekly payment. This/that level of driving is a different beast from regular UberX, and I know that this grind will help me gain experience for when I am ready to take that step.

I managed to connect with two mentors who are both active independent Livery drivers. Nice to work with them to see how they operate both as independent and affiliate.

·
Registered
517 Posts
friday and saturday are my main days of driving, I did less this week on tips overall, I normally clear 100 or so on each app

drove 9 hrs on friday and only 4 yesterday (tightlipped millennial pissed me off and I opted to go home to relax instead)

on lyft 565 on fares got me 35 of in app tips and another 25 in cash

uber - 415 in fares with 10 using square reader (didn't have my tablet running the slideshow on friday) 25 in cash

I have a tablet in the rear that runs a slideshow about ratings,tips,spotify control,using the square app to tip on uber etc.. it 's pretty well received when i do use it, granted you have those pax who marvel at the tech and still dont tip @ the end, those get the min 2 star rating

.I treat all pax the same with questions and convo so i dont have to answer the same shit about driving and hows business. Most pax are happy not to have to fit into a prius.My mazda is starting to show signs on the tq converter going and my rig ages out in 11 months so my next rig with me X/XL/Select..

when i do drive my genesis I get way more tips but the hills aren't compatible with how low my car sits, so it's purely backup

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I've found conversation can really help with tips (if they're open to being chatty). usually funny stories about other jackass customers will get a few bucks on Lyft. Gives them a smile and makes them feel good about their own behavior.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Finally, the anonymous Dex has pulled back the curtain. :D

The disco ball/light reminds of this cabby I used to get back in the day. His name was "chubby" pronounced 'chub-baaay' and his rig was decked out in all kinds of stuff. Literally, every single spot in his cab had some fringe, lights or something on it. It was bright, colorful, and just plain fun to be in. AND he ran a dating service, too. He had a binder with pics of people it and it was in the back window on a carpet of candy. It was like a paper version of Tinder. If you wanted to meet someone, Chub-bay would suss you up and if he felt like you weren't a creep(he said) he would take your # and pic and pass it along. He boasted many, many matches and a few marriages.

I never used his "service" but every time he picked me up I instantly smiled because I was getting to ride with Chub-bay and it was going to be a good time. And he got tipped more by me. Just cuz it was Chub-bay!

Is there a moral here? IDK. But it does seem like those who are able to up their game (in whatever way works for you) do see a higher proportion of tips.
However, no amount of goodies, extras, etc. can be a substitute for the ability to read your customers and be what they want for that trip, IMO.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Working towards that as a goal. I want to take that step within two years. Plan is to pay off my current rig, then take that step. I don't want to lease a vehicle from someone, I don't want to drive desperate to make a weekly payment. This/that level of driving is a different beast from regular UberX, and I know that this grind will help me gain experience for when I am ready to take that step.

I managed to connect with two mentors who are both active independent Livery drivers. Nice to work with them to see how they operate both as independent and affiliate.
Why wait? You should be giving your business card to every single passenger. Develop a base. At bare minimum display your business cards in the vehicle and let the clients take them. Driving for Uber does not preclude you from taking private jobs.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Why wait? You should be giving your business card to every single passenger. Develop a base. At bare minimum display your business cards in the vehicle and let the clients take them. Driving for Uber does not preclude you from taking private jobs.
Display your card so any PAX can contact you? I'd much rather screen them first and decide if I want to bring them on as a client.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts

Wealthy people don't tip well. They expect that you are there to serve them.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I already hand out cards. Great way to maximize income. If I bring you into the city from afar for an event, I know that you will be a long-haul home later that night. Same goes for semi-regular trips to the airport.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Wealthy people don't tip well. They expect that you are there to serve them.
Wrong. A professional at any job appreciates another professional.
Not always, I have found service industry folks who tip those who do not. Wealthy people who tip, those who do not. It all just depends on the person it's not wise to assume and treat a pax poorly thinking they won't tip you
Exactly this. I always give the same level of service. For the most part, it results in a tip. When it doesn't I just continue on. The key is to never prejudge or assume.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts