Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's on a Monday, so it's a 3 day Holiday weekend.

Be prepared, some people want to "strike", but realistically not a large percentage of the Uber Driver's are members of this site. So a "strike" would be silly.

However it might be an oversaturated market, and a good weekend to stay home with family.

Also, if you are driving, be careful with PAX bringing fireworks. Probably best to put those in the trunk. It would keep everyone safer and out of trouble if certain types are outlawed in your area and you get stopped.

Also good time to check your fire extinguisher that's tax deductible. You could get a request from PAX trying to flee from law enforcement after the neighbors called the police on them for noise. Don't play hero, call 911 if there is a fire and collect your 5 minute fee.
However 911 locks your phone to the cellular tower disabling your data and Uber, so you might want to learn your local non emergency phone number to the police & fire dispatch.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts

Be prepared, some people want to "strike", but realistically not a large percentage of the Uber Driver's are members of this site. So a "strike" would be silly.

However it might be an oversaturated market, and a good weekend to stay home with family.

Also, if you are driving, be careful with PAX bringing fireworks. Probably best to put those in the trunk. It would keep everyone safer and out of trouble if certain types are outlawed in your area and you get stopped.

Also good time to check your fire extinguisher that's tax deductible. You could get a request from PAX trying to flee from law enforcement after the neighbors called the police on them for noise. Don't play hero, call 911 if there is a fire and collect your 5 minute fee.
However 911 locks your phone to the cellular tower disabling your data and Uber, so you might want to learn your local non emergency phone number to the police & fire dispatch.
Already have it in my contacts list

·
24,495 Posts
You get better fireworks shows in the neighbourhoods here than you do at the big show on the Mall/Lincoln Memorial.

The good fireworks are illegal here, but the Police admit that due to the large number of people who set off these illegal displays, there is not much that they can do about it. Every year, there are more and more calls for the City Council to ban fireworks of any kind. It makes me laugh, because all that such a law would do is create more lawbreakers. Banning what is now legal will not stop the illegal fireworks.

I oppose any ban on fireworks. Considering the business in which Original Poster is, I have little doubt that he disagrees with me vehemently.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Leave it to fireman to give us such great helpful advice when it comes to fireworks, fire safety and the forth of July. Thanks Fireguy50

Reactions: NtroP

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You get better fireworks shows in the neighbourhoods here than you do at the big show on the Mall/Lincoln Memorial.

The good fireworks are illegal here, but the Police admit that due to the large number of people who set off these illegal displays, there is not much that they can do about it. Every year, there are more and more calls for the City Council to ban fireworks of any kind. It makes me laugh, because all that such a law would do is create more lawbreakers. Banning what is now legal will not stop the illegal fireworks.

I oppose any ban on fireworks. Considering the business in which Original Poster is, I have little doubt that he disagrees with me vehemently.
Another Uber Driver, I vehemently disagree with you and I'm not a fireman. It's one thing to light fireworks in a city, and in your case a humid city with low fire danger. It's another to light fireworks in a very dry arid region. I grew up in a small ski town in SW Colorado near the four corners. We lived on a mountain outside of town. We didn't have a regular fire department but a volunteer fire department. So if some fool (which there were a few) were to light fireworks where I grew up, half the mountain and all the homes would burn before fire department could show up.

Also, how would you feel if a firework landed on the roof of your house? One of my grandmother's best friend's house was hit by an illegal firework in an elite suburb of Phoenix. Blew a big hole into the roof of the home. A day after it happened my grandmother, her friend and I had dinner, and she insisted on going in the house to get her pearls after dinner. I thought she was crazy, but I wasn't about to let an 80 year old lady go alone at night in the house. We illegally crossed the yellow tape, went into the home and it was a complete loss. Not due to fire, but the water to put out the fire. It was spooky being in this luxury home, walking in puddles of water and looking up and seeing stars instead of a roof.

Ok Fireguy50 go ahead an scold me. My grandmother scolded us both for a half an hour for sneaking in knowing the home was unsafe to enter. But like I said, I wasn't going to let her 80 yr old friend go in alone.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Another Uber Driver1187259 said:

You're correct, that's why I posted this warning. City ordinance about fireworks are hard/impossible for law enforcement 30 minutes after the call or later.
Unfortunately the *******/Ghetto folks will fire off illegal fireworks without considering tree's, dry brush or leaves, or their neighbors roof. People get weirdly crazy, it's like booze or cigarette money, when they can't afford to feed the children!

Not really disagree with you about this. I would profile these people as renter's or party crashers. And it's a horrible situation when the fire is caused by people who don't care or understand responsibility like insurance or paying child support. Firework bans won't stop stupid.
I do support noise ordinance agianst shooting off fireworks all summer long any time of early morning. Nothing says *******/Ghetto like a 4am fireworks

Just be careful out there, and don't let passsangers leave you on the hook for illegal behavior!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Fireguy50 go ahead an scold me. My grandmother scolded us both for a half an hour for sneaking in knowing the home was unsafe to enter. But like I said, I wasn't going to let her 80 yr old friend go in alone.
I've given up on you following rules.
But yeah, you could have fallen through a floor or collapsed a staircase.

·
24,495 Posts
It's one thing to light fireworks in a city, and in your case a humid city with low fire danger.
There are a few fires every year here from it. Do keep in mind that most of the houses built here are eighty years old, or more. My house was built in 1953, and that is young, for a Washington house. The majority of the complaints about the illegal fireworks are the noise.

My parents house in Massachusetts is surrounded by woods. If I am up there on the Fourth of July, I do not set off fireworks. Often, I go home at Christmas. Usually, the pond is frozen over. As I am a Massachusetts Yankee by birth and upbringing (for a few years, anyhow), I know when a pond is sufficiently iced over. I set off my fireworks from the middle of the pond. As I did live in French Canada and Italy, I like fireworks at Christmas, as well. GF used to live in a Spanish speaking neighbourhood in Arlington, Virginia (a suburb). They set off fireworks, there, at Christmas, as well.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
There are a few fires every year here from it. Do keep in mind that most of the houses built here are eighty years old, or more. My house was built in 1953, and that is young, for a Washington house. The majority of the complaints about the illegal fireworks are the noise.

My parents house in Massachusetts is surrounded by woods. If I am up there on the Fourth of July, I do not set off fireworks. Often, I go home at Christmas. Usually, the pond is frozen over. As I am a Massachusetts Yankee by birth and upbringing (for a few years, anyhow), I know when a pond is sufficiently iced over. I set off my fireworks from the middle of the pond. As I did live in French Canada and Italy, I like fireworks at Christmas, as well. GF used to live in a Spanish speaking neighbourhood in Arlington, Virginia (a suburb). They set off fireworks, there, at Christmas, as well.
I have nothing against fireworks. I think they are a wonderful way to celebrate any occasion. But you got to admit, not everyone is as safety conscious as you are. I know this will surprise you, but there are some real ignorant idiots in this world. Shocking as it sounds it's true.

I had a long term project in Massachusetts, I would leave Demver on the last flight to Boston each Sunday and return to Denver on the last flight on Thursdays. But I often would spend the weekend instead of traveling home to experience Massachusetts. It is such a beautiful state rich with history and cool things- too bad Tom Brady and Bellicheck had to come and ruin your state.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I've given up on you following rules.
But yeah, you could have fallen through a floor or collapsed a staircase.
Don't give up one me, this happened 8 years ago. Long before we met! I thought Nana's friend was crazy to enter the place at night just a day after it burned down for a strand of pearls. She was going with or without me, by god she wanted those pearls. I went along to provide her support she was in her 80s.

You have given me great advice that I have followed. I'm not a lost cause. That's why I love this forum, great place to learn from others experienced what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
24,495 Posts
If those Doom-Bass kids keep up that nonsense, they are going to burn off their hands.

I never set mine off under the ice, just from it. I had a stand for the skyrockets and could set the mortars and the Roman Candles on the ice. I never would set off firecrackers there because of the pine needles and other stuff, I would not set them off in ice either, for fear of cracking it.

I lit the things, then got away. If you are from a cold place, you learn how to move pretty fast on the ice.

·
24,495 Posts
too bad Tom Brady and Bellicheck had to come and ruin your state.
Yeah, well Brady is neither overrated nor the most overrated player ever to play the game. Elway has earned that honour and is likely to keep it for years to come. It fits: a perennially overrated team run by the most overrated player ever to play the game.

Reactions: stemor

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah, well Brady is neither overrated nor the most overrated player ever to play the game. Elway has earned that honour and is likely to keep it for years to come. It fits: a perennially overrated team run by the most overrated player ever to play the game.
I cant deny Brady is a good athlete. But the question remains, is he a great athlete due to his talent, or due to cheating?

i love this clip about Shady Brady and Bill Belicheat!

Elway got the job done when he was a quarterback and as the general manager. I have a personal bias for Elway, and has nothing to do with him being a Bronco, he was a good friend of my fathers. Although i met him only once prior to daddy's funeral, he did take the time to come to the funeral and pay his respects to my dad. So whatever the critics say, he's a good guy in my book...And brought home two Lonbardi trophies. This year the defense won the Super Bowl. Manning was one of the best to play the game, but wasn't this year. We won the Super Bowl with a quarterback who was ranked 33rd (that's pretty bad when there are only 32 teams in the league.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts