Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Is anyone in this situation?

There was a guarantee for driving 11/23 thru 11/25. 45 an hour. All you had to do was drive 300 minutes of the guarantee hours, accept 90 percent of rides and make 7 trips.

Today I got an hour saying I didn't qualify because I needed to average 1.5 rides per hour during the guarantee hours. WTF?!?!??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep. Got the same email. Drove like 330 minutes, took 7 trips during that time. Sent them back an email asking why I didn't qualify.

For me it's only a hundred dollars difference, which isn't the end of the world... but still...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
1.5 rides an hour is the gotcha...If you got a super long ride, or were stuck in traffic, even if it was very busy you'd be hard-pressed to make it.

Averaging the number of rides per hour together is absolutely unacceptable and a total scam. Lyft looks at each hour separately - if you got a ride that hour, that hour is eligible for the guarantee. Then your gross fares are averaged together to create an hourly average and they bonus you the difference.

Never bother with any Uber guarantee that requires more than 1 ride an hour...It seems to me this could be a legal issue. If you're guaranteeing an hourly wage, then your criteria must also be based on INDIVIDUAL HOURS, and therefore averaging rides ACROSS hours shouldn't be allowed.

Uber is just frighteningly exploitative. Absolute evil genius.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The problem was that there was no mention of the 1.5 trips per hour in the guarantee language. I guess they altered the deal? I pray that they do not alter it any further...

·
Registered
346 Posts
1.5 rides an hour is the gotcha...If you got a super long ride, or were stuck in traffic, even if it was very busy you'd be hard-pressed to make it.

Averaging the number of rides per hour together is absolutely unacceptable and a total scam. Lyft looks at each hour separately - if you got a ride that hour, that hour is eligible for the guarantee. Then your gross fares are averaged together to create an hourly average and they bonus you the difference.

Never bother with any Uber guarantee that requires more than 1 ride an hour...It seems to me this could be a legal issue. If you're guaranteeing an hourly wage, then your criteria must also be based on INDIVIDUAL HOURS, and therefore averaging rides ACROSS hours shouldn't be allowed.

Uber is just frighteningly exploitative. Absolute evil genius.
I do t know about San Jose but in SF....that's a turkey shoot. Easily done. Last guarantee I averaged 3 rides an hour.

Come up to SF if you can when you get a guarantee like that. Even if you do it for one day you will far enough a head of the curve that you can go back to San Jose and finish it out.

BTW....it is far better they do an average ride per hour. If you hit a dead hour on a mandatory ride per hour, like Lyft has done, you lose the whole hour. No Bueno.

·
Registered
117 Posts
here's the promo... and no mention of rides per hour.

uber will do whatever it takes to get drivers on the street.

even if it means screwing over the drivers.

type this into address bar for promo.

t.uber.com/sftgiving

·
Registered
346 Posts
here's the promo... and no mention of rides per hour.

uber will do whatever it takes to get drivers on the street.

even if it means screwing over the drivers.
You have proof Uber set out to defraud drivers? Cool....that would be useful in the class action suit.

You image doesn't show up...but it is probably the same one I got and passed on because I took the week off.

Anyway...as I said....come to SF for stuff like that. Easy Pick'ens. As for the OP....if you need any help with these things let me know. I am in SF most days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i live in the city...and if you looked at my link ... the promo wasn't about rides per hour.

i did the promo... and they did the same thing to me.

and uber still owe's me around $300 from the promo.

here's a c&p from my payout

11/23/15 Mon 5pm-9pm $45.00/hr - You did not qualify because: trips per hour (0.44) was below the required level (1.4)
11/24/15 Tue 7am-10am $45.00/hr - you were online 2.92 hours, which entitles you to a minimum of $131.40 in gross fares. Since you only made $35.92 (gross), we added $76.38 (net) to your payment statement.
11/24/15 Tue 5pm-9pm $45.00/hr - You did not qualify because: trips per hour (0.88) was below the required level (1.4)
Corrected $2750/$1200 Weekly Guarantee Payment -- Qualified but initially misnotified -- 11/16-11/23
11/25/15 Wed 7am-10am $45.00/hr - you were online 2.60 hours, which entitles you to a minimum of $117.00 in gross fares. Since you only made $43.55 (gross), we added $58.76 (net) to your payment statement.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i live in the city...and if you looked at my link ... the promo wasn't about rides per hour.

i did the promo... and they did the same thing to me.

and uber still owe's me around $300 from the promo.

here's a c&p from my payout

11/23/15 Mon 5pm-9pm $45.00/hr - You did not qualify because: trips per hour (0.44) was below the required level (1.4)
11/24/15 Tue 7am-10am $45.00/hr - you were online 2.92 hours, which entitles you to a minimum of $131.40 in gross fares. Since you only made $35.92 (gross), we added $76.38 (net) to your payment statement.
11/24/15 Tue 5pm-9pm $45.00/hr - You did not qualify because: trips per hour (0.88) was below the required level (1.4)
Corrected $2750/$1200 Weekly Guarantee Payment -- Qualified but initially misnotified -- 11/16-11/23
11/25/15 Wed 7am-10am $45.00/hr - you were online 2.60 hours, which entitles you to a minimum of $117.00 in gross fares. Since you only made $43.55 (gross), we added $58.76 (net) to your payment statement.
Your link was not in the original,post I quoted. Which is right above my response to it.

If you feel they are wrong in your guarantees, do as I have advised other to do, request arbitration immediately. That's what I would do. In fact anytime I have an issue with pay, that is not clearly explained or corrected in their first answer, the next e mail,is short....I am officially requesting arbitration in this matter.

So far they have never taken me up on it. If they do I will be sure to let everyone know what the procedure was and how it went.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok....I went back,and found the week of thanksgiving guarantee I was sent.....

The main issue is simple....you had to be on 300 minutes, 5 hours, during the mentioned times. You had to take 7 rides during that time. So 1.4 rides an hour? Call it 1.5? Pretty clear cut and simple math.

As easily accomplished if SF.

Like I said....if they calculated it wrong I hope you win in arbitration.

Personally, I think your best case is this....if you completed 7 rides in the prescribed 5 hrs, average rides per hours broken out to individual hours and not applied on a whole 5 hr basis is incorrect on their part. Their own e mail implies it's over the whole accumulated period and not broken out to individual hors.

·
Registered
117 Posts

The main issue is simple....you had to be on 300 minutes, 5 hours, during the mentioned times. You had to take 7 rides during that time. So 1.4 rides an hour? Call it 1.5? Pretty clear cut and simple math.

As easily accomplished if SF.

Like I said....if they calculated it wrong I hope you win in arbitration.

Personally, I think your best case is this....if you completed 7 rides in the prescribed 5 hrs, average rides per hours broken out to individual hours and not applied on a whole 5 hr basis is incorrect on their part. Their own e mail implies it's over the whole accumulated period and not broken out to individual hors.
your last paragraph makes sense... and is what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I see your point about maybe average # of rides not being so bad.

The problem is every guy with an Uber account will be out trying to make that easy money. So the saturation will hinder your ability to maintain 1.5 rides/hr. I know because that's what happens on Lyft every week in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I see your point about maybe average # of rides not being so bad.

The problem is every guy with an Uber account will be out trying to make that easy money. So the saturation will hinder your ability to maintain 1.5 rides/hr. I know because that's what happens on Lyft every week in Philadelphia.
I hear ya. It is different in every market. Right now I'm at 50%+ in required rides and 50% of hours. My ride average is almost 3 per hour. This is in SF. Very over loaded city but very transport dependent. Ride share is very popular here. So we are lucky. I can see where it would be difficult in other markets. Right across the bay from us would suck.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yeah, San Fran is it's own little technotopia world, with prices to match. It actually kind of amazes me there are so many Uber drivers in the area - with housing costs being so high where do the working class people who will work for Uber's wage live? That's kind of a serious question. How far do you have to drive to work?

So that kind of guarantee doesn't surprise me really..not in that market.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, San Fran is it's own little technotopia world, with prices to match. It actually kind of amazes me there are so many Uber drivers in the area - with housing costs being so high where do the working class people who will work for Uber's wage live? That's kind of a serious question. How far do you have to drive to work?

So that kind of guarantee doesn't surprise me really..not in that market.
I drive 30 miles to SF. I know people who diver longer distances. With Uber changing the take to 25% for people from elsewhere it should be interesting to see how that effects things. I started here so it's 20% for me here and where I live.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts