Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving for a week, 30 rides. I have been receiving all 5 stars (one 4 star) and felt I had a good rapport with everyone who I took on long trips.

I have gotten some random tips, a nice $10 tip from a long ride and a couple $4 tips, but the last four airport rides (30-60 minutes), no one tipped and we had good conversations. This is starting to shake my confidence. Without tips I am making maybe less than minimum wage.

Do they take a long trip, get hit with a $60 fare and then decide not to tip? Or am I doing something wrong?

I felt that if I was making mistakes I wouldn't have a 4.95 rating.

·
Premium Member
7,699 Posts
I've been driving for a week, 30 rides. I have been receiving all 5 stars (one 4 star) and felt I had a good rapport with everyone who I took on long trips.

I have gotten some random tips, a nice $10 tip from a long ride and a couple $4 tips, but the last four airport rides (30-60 minutes), no one tipped and we had good conversations. This is starting to shake my confidence. Without tips I am making maybe less than minimum wage.

Do they take a long trip, get hit with a $60 fare and then decide not to tip? Or am I doing something wrong?

Ever hear the phrase "it's not you, it's them"?

·
Premium Member
385 Posts

Only about 3 or 4 out of 10 passengers tip at all. Some days are better, but on average figure a 35% chance of a tip.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
You will get the hang of it. 30 trips is not a good base for average.
You will learn how to “beg” for a tip without the rider knowing what you are up to.
Also, what you may think are good convos, that is subjective to each individual. Limit your talking and concentrate on driving. Riders will appreciate a safe ride more than a good convo.
With a 5.0 rating I’m running 55% tippers.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will get the hang of it. 30 trips is not a good base for average.
You will learn how to "beg" for a tip without the rider knowing what you are up to.
Also, what you may think are good convos, that is subjective to each individual. Limit your talking and concentrate on driving. Riders will appreciate a safe ride more than a good convo.
With a 5.0 rating I'm running 55% tippers.
I think you may be right. As I've gotten more confident, I've talked more to people like they were friends. Shared more information. I was getting more tips when I was less confident. Do they tip when they feel that you are down on your luck? It seems that the happier and more confident I'm getting, the tips have gone down.

·
Premium Member
13,249 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Sometimes, riders tip later. They have 24 hours, I think, to rate and tip. Keep up the conversations. Those usually help, particularly if you ask if they're comfortable, if they have a preferred route, and such. I find if they engage, you are more likely to see tips.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
I think you may be right. As I've gotten more confident, I've talked more to people like they were friends. Shared more information. I was getting more tips when I was less confident. Do they tip when they feel that you are down on your luck? It seems that the happier and more confident I'm getting, the tips have gone down.
Yeah! Now that is one trick. Play dumb, play like it going your last ride because you got go home and feed your babies. Whatever works.
Riders are suckers for a sad story and they DO want to help. Play it up to your advantage.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Never expect tips. Different people, different mindsets. It doesn't matter how clean your car is or how well you treat your passengers or how awesome your personality is. They'll give a tip if they feel like it, they won't if they don't. If you get tips, then it's good, if not, just let it go. It's definitely not your fault you're not getting tipped more. It's just how people are in reality.

Also, expect to get ratings that would bring down your overall score. Same with tips, people don't really care what rating they give you. Not all passengers are decent human beings. They will rate you low on a whim or in an attempt to scam you to get a refund. It happens from time to time. Just prepare yourself mentally for this scenario. It definitely feels painful and unfair the first few times you see your rating drop little by little, but eventually you stop caring and just drive for as long as you can make money from Uber/Lyft.

I started last year with a bright outlook on things but I learned to stop caring about the injustice people do to you no matter how good you are to them. The more you care, the more you get hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I think I get it.... they are making conversation so you don't give them a 1*.

Basically, they are being personable to justify not giving a tip. If there is no conversation, the risk of them getting a bad rating goes up, especially if they don't tip you. By being friendly, they think that is an appropriate surrogate for a tip.

Is it possible to withold the rating until later? I usually just rate them 5* to just get it off the screen.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
most people close the app and never look at the trip again. it's not you, it's them.

my proven strategy is to say, "feel free to rate me when you get a chance (with a smile and a wave). it's very effective. my tips are typically 20-25% of my earnings. been doing this part time for 5 years, 4.99 rating.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope. One star them right away if you dont' see a decent size cash tip.
sadly, i think this is the only way to use the rating system.

The only thing that is going to make people tip is if they get 1*ed whenever they don't tip, which could make it harder for them to get rides. This only works if all drivers do it though.

Can they retaliate?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.