Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it’s been three years (today) since I officially started driving for Uber. Additionally, I joined Lyft back in April 2018 (when my delaying traffic ticket cleared up). I was originally on the forum as “NJBOOOYAA” but I wasn’t an active poster. Needless to say, after nearly 3,500 rides on Uber, there have been many many experiences. Some good/really good, some bad (but nothing terribly crazy). Needless to say, I just wanted to share some of my observations and a share little bit about myself (without giving away any hotspots or whatnot):

U/L rating: 4.93/4.97 (no mints, no candy, no H20)
License Plate: BOOOYAA
Phone carrier: Verizon (with beyond Unlimited data)
Primary navigation system: Google
Strengths: Airport pick ups and highway driving
Weaknesses: Rating people and chasing surge (to a degree)
Other gigs: Independent business owner and Assistant Timer (at track/XC meets)
Longest trip: 133 miles
Lowest tip amount received: $0.10 (via the App)

Some observations that I’ve made....

-There are more cops on the street at Parker House then in NYC during UN Week
- It is much easier than ever to get drugs or weed off the streets
- People text while driving their bikes and, more specifically, their golf carts (in reverse)
-U/L use, in my opinion, manipulation words prior to accepting a trip (Uber: “Scheduled trip” Lyft: “your acceptance rate is low”)

Getting back to U/L, I feel that they can improve on a few things (obviously more money and less drivers would be a start, but one can only dream). To name a few:

Uber:

-have the option to rate passengers later

- (for scheduled pick ups): If a driver is accepting a “scheduled trip”, there should be an extra fee for the passsenger and the rider would get an additional $4 or $5 for just accepting the trip itself. If the passenger cancels, the driver keeps the “scheduled pick up” and “cancellation” fees. Also, Uber should legitimately do “scheduled pick ups” like Lyft

-You should have the option to choose your navigation preference every time you drive to the passenger and/or begin a trip. They used to have this feature back in 2015, but now they just have one choice of navigation preference.

Lyft:

-same thing with the “scheduled pick up” trip fees...getting an extra $5 for picking up someone on a scheduled pick up

-be able to message your passenger prior to the start of the trip

-be able to see where you are picking up the passenger (while on the acceptance screen)

For both platforms:

-Extra fee, for a Jersey driver dropping off in NYC (along with a NYC notification prior to the trip). The extra toll amount does not cut it.

Before I close, I like to thank the mods of this forum, along with Lepke and PorkRoll for helping me out back in 2015/16. There are countless Vets on this forum that make the posts very entertaining too so thank you for that as well. I just have some final questions that I want to get a general consensus on:

1) If/when the new surge system hits Jersey, what do you think the general reaction will be? Will drivers find a way to game the system? Will the Jersey market itself be enough to expose the new surge system?

2) (for the mods): Since this is a public forum (where you can even do Google searches and not be a member to view posts), has there been any thought of going to a private forum (where you only have to be a member to view posts)? Or, even charging a subscription for the forum (nothing too costly, but just enough to keep some ants away)?

3) Is there still a driving association (for driver-based apps) where people meet up?

4) I’ve always wondered....who was NJDriver?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
LOL, you talk so much about ratings, as if it means anything. It's just worthless BS.

The administrators will never go to a private forum mode, as the more viewers, the better, for revenue purposes.

To answer your question about the new surge, there will be more ants than ever even after that happens. You have to understand the people who do Uber full-time are basically people who are unemployable anywhere else, and have little to no other choices. They will continue to ant on!!

For me personally, if there was one suggestion I have, it would be for Uber to go back to that 20 or 25% commission structure, rather than this upfront pricing strategy. But of course, that's wishful thinking and will never ever happen, because they have more than enough ants chasing the crumbs...

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
You have to understand the people who do Uber full-time are basically people who are unemployable anywhere else, and have little to no other choices. They will continue to ant on!!
Not me. I FoOBer full time so I can travel more. I voluntarily quit my salaried job in the printing industry to pursue my passion. Since I first started doing this full time I've been to Siberia twice (both trips a bit over 3 weeks), California twice, a couple of long road trips from NC to ME, and 8 days in Barcelona. This "ant" has cleared $730 off 12 trips so far this week. I like your posts Slim Pete and I do believe that a lot of full timers are unemployable but I'm not one of them. lol

·
Registered
662 Posts
Not me. I FoOBer full time so I can travel more. I voluntarily quit my salaried job in the printing industry to pursue my passion. Since I first started doing this full time I've been to Siberia twice (both trips a bit over 3 weeks), California twice, a couple of long road trips from NC to ME, and 8 days in Barcelona. This "ant" has cleared $730 off 12 trips so far this week. I like your posts Slim Pete and I do believe that a lot of full timers are unemployable but I'm not one of them. lol
#MeToo

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
Well, it's been three years (today) since I officially started driving for Uber. Additionally, I joined Lyft back in April 2018 (when my delaying traffic ticket cleared up). I was originally on the forum as "NJBOOOYAA" but I wasn't an active poster. Needless to say, after nearly 3,500 rides on Uber, there have been many many experiences. Some good/really good, some bad (but nothing terribly crazy). Needless to say, I just wanted to share some of my observations and a share little bit about myself (without giving away any hotspots or whatnot):

Some observations that I've made....

- People text while driving their bikes and, more specifically, their golf carts (in reverse)
-U/L use, in my opinion, manipulation words prior to accepting a trip (Uber: "Scheduled trip" Lyft: "your acceptance rate is low")

Getting back to U/L, I feel that they can improve on a few things (obviously more money and less drivers would be a start, but one can only dream). To name a few:

Uber:

- (for scheduled pick ups): If a driver is accepting a "scheduled trip", there should be an extra fee for the passsenger and the rider would get an additional $4 or $5 for just accepting the trip itself. If the passenger cancels, the driver keeps the "scheduled pick up" and "cancellation" fees. Also, Uber should legitimately do "scheduled pick ups" like Lyft

-You should have the option to choose your navigation preference every time you drive to the passenger and/or begin a trip. They used to have this feature back in 2015, but now they just have one choice of navigation preference.

Lyft:

-same thing with the "scheduled pick up" trip fees...getting an extra $5 for picking up someone on a scheduled pick up

-be able to see where you are picking up the passenger (while on the acceptance screen)

For both platforms:

-Extra fee, for a Jersey driver dropping off in NYC (along with a NYC notification prior to the trip). The extra toll amount does not cut it.

Before I close, I like to thank the mods of this forum, along with Lepke and PorkRoll for helping me out back in 2015/16. There are countless Vets on this forum that make the posts very entertaining too so thank you for that as well. I just have some final questions that I want to get a general consensus on:

1) If/when the new surge system hits Jersey, what do you think the general reaction will be? Will drivers find a way to game the system? Will the Jersey market itself be enough to expose the new surge system?

2) (for the mods): Since this is a public forum (where you can even do Google searches and not be a member to view posts), has there been any thought of going to a private forum (where you only have to be a member to view posts)? Or, even charging a subscription for the forum (nothing too costly, but just enough to keep some ants away)?

3) Is there still a driving association (for driver-based apps) where people meet up?

4) I've always wondered....who was NJDriver?
too long, got bored after 3rd paragraph
stopped reading.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Well, it's been three years (today) since I officially started driving for Uber. Additionally, I joined Lyft back in April 2018 (when my delaying traffic ticket cleared up). I was originally on the forum as "NJBOOOYAA" but I wasn't an active poster. Needless to say, after nearly 3,500 rides on Uber, there have been many many experiences. Some good/really good, some bad (but nothing terribly crazy). Needless to say, I just wanted to share some of my observations and a share little bit about myself (without giving away any hotspots or whatnot):

Some observations that I've made....

-U/L use, in my opinion, manipulation words prior to accepting a trip (Uber: "Scheduled trip" Lyft: "your acceptance rate is low")

Uber:

- (for scheduled pick ups): If a driver is accepting a "scheduled trip", there should be an extra fee for the passsenger and the rider would get an additional $4 or $5 for just accepting the trip itself. If the passenger cancels, the driver keeps the "scheduled pick up" and "cancellation" fees. Also, Uber should legitimately do "scheduled pick ups" like Lyft

Lyft:

-same thing with the "scheduled pick up" trip fees...getting an extra $5 for picking up someone on a scheduled pick up

For both platforms:

4) I've always wondered....who was NJDriver?
Hey, congrats,I just called Dara, he's gonna send you a Free Uber Mug,PS you have to pay for shipping,GL,JMO

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I finally asked to close my driver account. If i get into an accident I dont have to worry about the 1st question being do you do rideshare. But besides that after 3 years i am demoralized by Uber ethics towards drivers. I have not driven since Labor Day Weekend. I found another pt job where im not killing my car and dealing with assh*** pax. Yea income is a little less but i cut back on the extras and enjoying my free time. Good luck to you all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts