Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to see if makes sense to come down from St Cloud on Saturdays to Minneapolis.(65 miles one way) I am going to be doing some testing .... Yesterday I accepted every ride.. didn't even look at them ..just ran everything .. 9 hours ..$266 .. AND using Stride Tax app .. $237 (tax deductions are important for me because I have a full time job that already pays well .. adding another $15K on top of that running part time uber lyft )

Drove a total of 315 Miles including from/to St Cloud/ (41 MPG )

.....................................................................................................................................................

Compared to 6-8 hours on a usual Sat in St Cloud $120 ...$40 Stride Tax deductions and a little less than 100 miles

....................................................................................................................................

Next Sat will be doing Just Airport Runs..will get into que .. and spend a day doing MOSTLY just airport .. See how that pans out ....

.................................................................................................

The Following Saturday will Test Uber Select .

Probably set up Bloomington area near all the Hotels ..or downtown Minny .. I will sit all day (and most likely that's exactly what I will be doing ..sitting) but wont know until I try it ... I cant imagine turning off Select to run a few X rides .. that's probably when the Select would be looking.

May not make anything but at least I would know one way or the other how that plays out on a normal Sat

..........................................................................................................................................

BTW .. I don't do Night Runs (really just not interested in dealing with obnoxious boozers anymore than necessary)..so just the typical day runners ... Now I do have fun taking guys TO the Parties/Clubs..just no interest in picking them back up later....

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
good luck on your testing; I will be interested to hear your results; the airport run day could be awful unless you get lucky with a couple of long runs; it is very possible to sit in airport queue forever and then keep getting sub-$10-dlr runs

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a well paying job already, why in the hell are you doing this? Do you like wasting $$$?
I'll be retiring early in 2-3 years ... something on the side

good luck on your testing; I will be interested to hear your results; the airport run day could be awful unless you get lucky with a couple of long runs; it is very possible to sit in airport queue forever and then keep getting sub-$10-dlr runs
after reading the posts here about sitting for ever , hard to get in and out of the airport etc....I was going to take the advise and not bother .. BUT I had 3 airports yesterday ... 2 Going in and 1 out .. and wasn't bad at all . ...Speaking of which .. I had just dropped off at Terminal 1 and was on the ramp going down when I get a PICKUP at Terminal 1 .. I had to go around to get it but my question is .. How the heck did I get the run since I wasnt sitting in Que?

If I was a Driver sitting in Que I'd be pissed knowing UBER handed off a run to someone that just pulled in

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
either high demand (not enough cars in the queue), or you had priority somehow (new driver, etc.); also, airport runs can be alluring because you're typically going to be driving a civil, professional person...the trick is that they often just aren't a very good use of time, especially when you get a few shorties

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
either high demand (not enough cars in the queue), or you had priority somehow (new driver, etc.); also, airport runs can be alluring because you're typically going to be driving a civil, professional person...the trick is that they often just aren't a very good use of time, especially when you get a few shorties
I'm thinking because I was already at Terminal 1 ? shorties yeah that was the case yesterday as well .. best ride was $30 which was fine ..$12 ..um not so much

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
How the heck did I get the run since I wasnt sitting in Que?

If I was a Driver sitting in Que I'd be pissed knowing UBER handed off a run to someone that just pulled in
That's actually how it works at many airports, including Sky Harbor. Way too many drivers twiddling their thumbs in the lot, so Lyft and Uber both will prioritize drivers that are dropping off. It's called a rematch. Don't need to drive to the lot, I frequently get a rematch before I pull away from the curb.

150 cars in the lots here is just a big waste of resources.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's actually how it works at many airports, including Sky Harbor. Way too many drivers twiddling their thumbs in the lot, so Lyft and Uber both will prioritize drivers that are dropping off. It's called a rematch. Don't need to drive to the lot, I frequently get a rematch before I pull away from the curb.

150 cars in the lots here is just a big waste of resources.
Thanks ...yeah from a business stand point..certainly makes sense being efficient and utilizing a driver already at that terminal...

Sure makes one think twice about sitting in que...maybe in Que waiting for Select ?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
You have a well paying job already, why in the hell are you doing this? Do you like wasting $$$?
Sorry, but this becoming the more efficient way to make money with rideshare today. Seems more and more one needs the infrastructure of a 9-5 with health, car, insurance, roof etc before Uber makes sense. Kudos to you all who drive full time. I know it's getting harder. But you probably work a lot smarter than us newer guys.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I think you’ll find your select only experiment will be a bust. I qualify as select and leave both x and select on. I get a select request every 2 weeks or so. I only drive early mornings to midday or so. Maybe select is more popular with the date crowd, but I don’t drive when the drunks are out.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Been driving for about two weeks, got 1 Select on the weekend that's it. Want more XLs - you guys doing XLs shut off X to only get XLs?

Dauction, if you start off in Minnie early in the weekends and work the day shifts all over the cities, could make more bank than St. Cloud. But I dunno what you are pulling in for St. Cloud to compare

1 - 14 of 14 Posts