Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever designed this car's headlights should seek counseling. Immediately.

I thought there was a law that said composite headlamps had to be changeable without tools... Or maybe that's just an urban legend? Apparently I'll be removing both fenders, the front bumper, and both headlamp assemblies to change the bulb.

I thought the 99 F350 was a pain, but the Malibu makes me wish it was as easy as the F350's sealed beams.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I once had a car that you had to remove the front tire, bumper, and an assortment of under the hood parts just to get to the housing.
Which of course itself would crack while removing, leading to it's replacement as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was thinking about buying an Impala or Malibu because they are pretty cheap and I am looking for a bigger sedan, but after I read about this issue online I changed my mind. Who would design a car like that? Chevy!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
$200 to change the lightbulbs on the Malibu at the shop, or waste two days yourself taking all that apart. I'll be sure to never buy one, but I'd never buy a car for doing U/L that doesn't get 40+ mpg's anyways.

·
Premium Member
63,043 Posts
Serious !
I will avoid Malibu like the plague !
( i buy a Lot of Auction cars& Malibus turn up often)

Is that to change the Bulb ? Or the lens ?

I was thinking about buying an Impala or Malibu because they are pretty cheap and I am looking for a bigger sedan, but after I read about this issue online I changed my mind. Who would design a car like that? Chevy!!!!!
I love my Impala !
Texas police car. 140 m.p.h.
Heavy duty everything.
Not much can outrun me.

But i crave a v 8 Holden chevy caprice !
Almost same h.p. as cadillac cts- v.For $5 grand at auction

Volkswagen?

Hahahaha
Farfurcknugens

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I had a 2009 Malibu and for some reason the drivers side headlight would burn out about once a year. I got enough practice in and eventually was able to replace it in about 2.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
Btw, if you want to clean your headlights for 5 -8dollars, I use a product , called novus 2, it is used for cleaning small plane windshields, also for scratches . Two minutes, your headlights will sparkle . Amazon has it for like 5/8ollars for the smallest size..just use once a month, and the small plastic bottle can last for 1-2 years
So for 5/8dollars for 2 years and new headlights
Autozone products cost 18 dollars and it is a pain and you have to do 25 steps to make it work

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
It's not hard.....just tons of screws to remove the front bumper cover.....make sure you go down and remove the bottom screws to the air dam underneath, to fully remove the cover.

It sucks, little time consuming, but definitely something you can do on your own. In the wheel well, there's two screws (one on each side) that are tough to get to, just make sure you have an extension socket.

It's about maybe 1.5 hours of your life to take on and off.

Those engineers for sure designed this thing to make trips to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
People on other car forums (so take it with a grain of salt) say that today's GM really cuts corners when bidding for its parts/components. So the old stereotype that GM cars are great engines surroueded by a body that falls apart might still be true.

It is just poor engineering design. I can change the bulbs in my Corolla in 2 minutes.
And a F-U mentality towards their retail customers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Serious !
I will avoid Malibu like the plague !
( i buy a Lot of Auction cars& Malibus turn up often)

Is that to change the Bulb ? Or the lens ?

Farfurcknugens
The bulb. You have to remove the headlight assemblies to change the bulb. I messed around with it for 3 hours before finally just taking the bumper off. It is theoretically possible to just remove the inner fender and snake your hand up in there and change it that way, but it's much easier to just take the bumper off.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is why I don't use my 2010 Malibu for rideshare anymore. Headlights are too expensive/difficult to deal with and they burn out in weeks or sooner. Even using lights bought from the dealership, installed BY the dealership, at their BODY shop because the labor rate is lower. They couldn't tell me why. Sockets were clean, wiring not pinched anywhere we could tell. They recommended replacing the BCM for $1780. I told them where they can stick their BCM. It goes where the BCM without the C comes out. Ugh...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts