Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I signed up for Uber a few weeks back, since they are/were offering a $300 incentive to drivers who completed 30 trips, and $400 for completing 40 trips as a referral which I did for my brother. However, during my time driving, I probably only made about $500, plus $300 as my bonus.

Uber is CHUMP CHANGE.

It was also difficult to get surge fares, because there were so many PAX on the app, and I would have spent a large amount of time waiting, or driving around at a loss. Presumably because there were drivers trying to get rides in before the cutoff date for the bonus. And also, there have been several time when I've been in a surge zone and I get absolutely no pings until it dies down back to 1.3x (which is still **** all really), and then back to normal.

The "safe rides" fee is a bunch of bullshit to extract more money out of drivers pockets, and considering how many fares are shorter than the actual drive to the pax, it's unbelievable that I'm still seeing cars bunched up in locations fighting over change. I could rattle a donation cup around town and probably get more money than I can driving for Uber.

Not to mention, I have a pretty decent Honda Civic hatch 2013, with only 65000 kms (about 40,000 miles) on it, which I refuse to put more wear and tear on for absolutely **** all.

I am done driving dumbass, cheapskate passengers around who can't stand somewhere where I can actually stop safely, then get mad because I refuse to stop in the middle of the road for them and roll out the red carpet. I especially hate dumb ****s that slam my doors shut when the car is practically brand new. I have had a few pretty good conversations with some beautiful women, and learnt a few interesting things from people. But at the end of the day, driving around to passengers, most of whom want rides only a few km/miles, and often are farther away than the actual destination, is pointless and a complete waste of time.

I originally joined up because I was interested in the idea and wanted to see how it operated. I'm grateful that I think critically and see things as they really are. Times are tough, and I'm sure for some people Uber is the only option they have right now -- but you are literally paying Uber to drive for them. After all the headaches of figuring out how to pay tax your pennies, you are still left with insurance, rego, and maintenence.

I've been browsing around the site for a while now, so I know everyone here is acquainted with the true cost of being a "partner". But I just can't help but shake my head at how terrible Uber actually is. Uber only got to a 65 BILLION dollar valuation by being penny pinchers at every turn.

If you're still driving for Uber, I urge you to find something worthwhile. It is definitely NOT Uber.

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
So I signed up for Uber a few weeks back, since they are/were offering a $300 incentive to drivers who completed 30 trips, and $400 for completing 40 trips as a referral which I did for my brother. However, during my time driving, I probably only made about $500, plus $300 as my bonus.

Uber is CHUMP CHANGE.

It was also difficult to get surge fares, because there were so many PAX on the app, and I would have spent a large amount of time waiting, or driving around at a loss. Presumably because there were drivers trying to get rides in before the cutoff date for the bonus. And also, there have been several time when I've been in a surge zone and I get absolutely no pings until it dies down back to 1.3x (which is still &%[email protected]!* all really), and then back to normal.

The "safe rides" fee is a bunch of bullshit to extract more money out of drivers pockets, and considering how many fares are shorter than the actual drive to the pax, it's unbelievable that I'm still seeing cars bunched up in locations fighting over change. I could rattle a donation cup around town and probably get more money than I can driving for Uber.

Not to mention, I have a pretty decent Honda Civic hatch 2013, with only 65000 kms (about 40,000 miles) on it, which I refuse to put more wear and tear on for absolutely &%[email protected]!* all.

I am done driving dumbass, cheapskate passengers around who can't stand somewhere where I can actually stop safely, then get mad because I refuse to stop in the middle of the road for them and roll out the red carpet. I especially hate dumb &%[email protected]!*s that slam my doors shut when the car is practically brand new. I have had a few pretty good conversations with some beautiful women, and learnt a few interesting things from people. But at the end of the day, driving around to passengers, most of whom want rides only a few km/miles, and often are farther away than the actual destination, is pointless and a complete waste of time.

I originally joined up because I was interested in the idea and wanted to see how it operated. I'm grateful that I think critically and see things as they really are. Times are tough, and I'm sure for some people Uber is the only option they have right now -- but you are literally paying Uber to drive for them. After all the headaches of figuring out how to pay tax your pennies, you are still left with insurance, rego, and maintenence.

I've been browsing around the site for a while now, so I know everyone here is acquainted with the true cost of being a "partner". But I just can't help but shake my head at how terrible Uber actually is. Uber only got to a 65 BILLION dollar valuation by being penny pinchers at every turn.

If you're still driving for Uber, I urge you to find something worthwhile. It is definitely NOT Uber.
Very good. It only took you 2 weeks to realize this. Some drivers have been going on 2 years and still don't see the reality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that yes it might work for the few people who put in the the time to work out untapped areas which may require Uber, who have got a supremely efficient car, are prepared for surges and work specific times, those who have bothered to figure out every expense, gst, tax, depreciation figures just to drive for chump change. But for the vast majority of people,it is a complete waste of time and will devalue your car while you pay Uber to work for them. No thanks. If you can make it work for you then good job, but it's not worth the time and effort for me personally. I make far more money through a small internet business than I do trying to make Uber work.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I don't understand why people complain, we all know that this job is about driving from point a to point b, and also, since lot of people forgetting that being a driver means that you are uneducated and have no special skills , so you getting payed accordingly , you need to get this through your heads folks.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
I don't understand why people complain, we all know that this job is about driving from point a to point b, and also, since lot of people forgetting that being a driver means that you are uneducated and have no special skills , so you getting payed accordingly , you need to get this through your heads folks.
Even the uneducated and unskilled deserve to get paid reasonably for their labor. And the use of their own vehicle. We are human beings, not tools to be exploited and thrown away when you have extracted every dime you can get from us.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
What is the reasonable rate for a driver? , any type of business in NYC requires substantial financial commitment and some kind of skill , on the other hand being a driver doesn't require that much , sure you need to have a decent car, but it doesn't Cost 5k in rent like businesses pay, so you figure the numbers.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
My car cost $15,000. What kind of price of shit are you driving? Every year driving for Uber is costing well more than 5k in fuel, maintainance, and depreciation. By law, the rate for anyone doing anything is minimum wage.
I guess you need to do some number crunching , say if you are s contractor in construction you'll be deducting all the equipment costs and other expensis at tax season , same with uber or any similar service , your car is an equipment to do business .

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
I guess you need to do some number crunching , say if you are s contractor in construction you'll be deducting all the equipment costs and other expensis at tax season , same with uber or any similar service , your car is an equipment to do business .
Why do I need to do some member crunching? You're the one discounting that cost entirely.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Yes I do and this is not uber , it's s new Internet economy , you complaining? And ask medallion owners how much money they are losing , market regulates the prices and believe me , at some point more price adjustment will come .

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
Yes I do and this is not uber , it's s new Internet economy , you complaining? And ask medallion owners how much money they are losing , market regulates the prices and believe me , at some point more price adjustment will come .
Not as long as Uber can falsely advertise for new drivers to exploit. Medallion owners make their money from leasing the cabs, they aren't losing anything, but their drivers are. Price adjustment has already come. Downward. Rates won't rise as long as Uber can exploit new drivers to replace the old or they eliminate drivers altogether with SDCs as they plan.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Even the uneducated and unskilled deserve to get paid reasonably for their labor.
That's not how Captiolism works.. You don't DESERVE anything. The more you put in (education, etc) the more you get out (pay). If you feel you aren't getting what you deserve you move on to something else, or start your own business giving people what they deserve.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The only real reason why there's still drivers out there is those drivers only think about how much income they can earn a day. In a typical hourly job, most people are limited to an 8-10 hours day x their hourly rate, which is a typical 40 hours a week job.

The only difference driving for uber versus an hourly job is not having the 8-10 hours a day work limit.

Example:
A normal person get paid $10/hr at job. He can only make $80 max in an 8 hour day, five days a week. That's $400 gross paycheck.

Uber drivers will drive all day long until they meet their financial goal for that day whether it's trying to bring home $80 within 5 hrs or within 15 hrs. They don't think how much they make per hour, they only think how much they take home per day x number of days per week they work which is 7 days max. So $80/day for seven days is $560 paycheck, driving 35 to 105 hrs a week of course.

This type of thinking how much they can bring home a day is similar to owning a business. A clothing store at the mall for example doesn't worry about how much they have to earn per hour if they open from 10am to 9pm everyday.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
why don't you elaborate on that
Elaborate about what? Driving doesn't require extensive training , you need more training to be a good waiter at an upscale restaurant , and I'm not even talking about getting regular trade job certificates , plumbing , welding , carpenting.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts