Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's sad how Uber and Lyft have cited rising costs and expenses so now the booking fee is approaching $3. Our cut on a minimum fare is around $3. I am sure they will keep raising it until we actually make less than they charge for the booking fee. LOL Your thoughts.....

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
My thoughts are that based on posts here drivers are starting to catch on and are getting pissed. This has a detrimental effect on driver morale. There is just something about getting less than 50% of a fare which makes me very angry and I feel that I am not alone.

When I first started my opinion of Uber was about 8/10. Now after this kind of thing it is 3/10. There are consequences for that such as I work less, I tell the passengers about how I feel about the company (when asked), and eventually this will probably make me quit.

Right now my game plan is to be picky about where and when I work to minimize these sorts of trips (short trips where Uber gets more than me) but that doesn't always work. I am about to the point where I will start canceling/ending short trips even when the passenger gets in and I will tell them why "Uber makes more on the fare than me, so I am canceling because it is unethical." I haven't done that YET but I am about getting to that point where I don't care what happens. I'm not asking for much. I simply want to be respected. I deserve at least 50% of the fare. No exceptions.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My thoughts are that based on posts here drivers are starting to catch on and are getting pissed. This has a detrimental effect on driver morale. There is just something about getting less than 50% of a fare which makes me very angry and I feel that I am not alone.

When I first started my opinion of Uber was about 8/10. Now after this kind of thing it is 3/10. There are consequences for that such as I work less, I tell the passengers about how I feel about the company (when asked), and eventually this will probably make me quit.

Right now my game plan is to be picky about where and when I work to minimize these sorts of trips (short trips where Uber gets more than me) but that doesn't always work. I am about to the point where I will start canceling/ending short trips even when the passenger gets in and I will tell them why "Uber makes more on the fare than me, so I am canceling because it is unethical." I haven't done that YET but I am about getting to that point where I don't care what happens. I'm not asking for much. I simply want to be respected. I deserve at least 50% of the fare. No exceptions.
I agree. They try to keep us busy so we don't have time to realize exactly what's going on. Those lawsuits did cost all of us somehow one way or the other. Just saying... The lawyers made all the cash!

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
No doubt about it. Best we can do is quit complaining and focus on how to work smarter
The problem is this likely isn't the end of it. It's probably going to get worse if we allow it. I feel our biggest mistake as drivers was not putting up a bigger stink when they eliminated the pay based on percentage of fare system. That was the first step in screwing us over. If we allow it I would not be surprised in a year or two to see we get on average 35%-40% of all fares -- not just the short ones.

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
This pretty much happens at every job I ever had

When someone tells you that they will give you something at cost, it's what they paid for it? There is a ton of equity packed into it.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem is this likely isn't the end of it. It's probably going to get worse if we allow it. I feel our biggest mistake as drivers was not putting up a bigger stink when they eliminated the pay based on percentage of fare system. That was the first step in screwing us over. If we allow it I would not be surprised in a year or two to see we get on average 35%-40% of all fares -- not just the short ones.
Unionize or Strike is the only answer, but it seems no one ever sees the big picture and they just drive. It's been tried before, but Uber will just temporarily let it surge and demand will be met by drivers looking to make a fast buck.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Tell me about it short trips suck here I do uber premier which is basically select and a min fare I get $7.49 uber gets $5.66

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Tell me about it short trips suck here I do uber premier which is basically select and a min fare I get $7.49 uber gets $5.66
The result of ubers greed:

1. Drivers cancel whenever we can. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

2. Drivers take longer routes just to survive. . Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

3. Experienced drivers drive less. Resulting in inexperienced drivers servicing pax. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

4. Experienced drivers drive less for uber. .more surges and higher prices for pax. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

5. Drivers cherry pick. Pax wait longer to get picked up. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

Get it yet? Dara is driving uber into the ground hoping it survives long enough to ipo and get a big payday for investors.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts

2. Drivers take longer routes just to survive. . Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

3. Experienced drivers drive less. Resulting in inexperienced drivers servicing pax. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

4. Experienced drivers drive less for uber. .more surges and higher prices for pax. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

5. Drivers cherry pick. Pax wait longer to get picked up. Pax get pissed off and switch to lyft.

Get it yet? Dara is driving uber into the ground hoping it survives long enough to ipo and get a big payday for investors.
Say it again but switch Lyft and Uber, both companies are pretty much doing the same thing

·
Registered
748 Posts
The booking fee is already higher than the driver payout for minimum fares in my market. I'm pretty sure we have one of the lowest minimum fare payouts of anywhere at $2.16.

After Lyft's recent TOS change (to be more like Uber) they are a whopping $0.09 better at $2.25. FML

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
:)

Smart ideas :)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
It's sad how Uber and Lyft have cited rising costs and expenses so now the booking fee is approaching $3. Our cut on a minimum fare is around $3. I am sure they will keep raising it until we actually make less than they charge for the booking fee. LOL Your thoughts.....
here's the Deal, when Uber spent 2 yrs cutting fares & rates to drivers, they finally stopped, Why? They were losing too many drivers, who were replaced by No Exp Drivers, and created issues for uber> So that was it with rate cuts, Now Uber is doing the same crappola with there cut, when enough drivers tell Uber to FO, Uber will stop, untill then, get used to it. Also Uber wants to IPO in 2019, this is all designed to clean up Ubers Balance sheet, to show they are not losing $$$ as fast as 2017, when Uber lost $4.5 billion, like i said, Uber does not care about drivers, Dara is just a more polished Travis,so slap that smile on your face, p/u these cheap skate customers for Uber, and STFU, and LIKE it, JMO Happy Ubering, & GL
PSPS. as llong as more people sign up to drive for Team up, expect zippo to change,Uber is 1 big Algo, & Algo's have no feelings for any one,Uber continues to be the Walmart on Wheels,if you can chisel out a Nitch$$,best times and areas to drive with the most $$ in your pocket, thats your goal, jmo

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unionize or Strike is the only answer, but it seems no one ever sees the big picture and they just drive. It's been tried before, but Uber will just temporarily let it surge and demand will be met by drivers looking to make a fast buck.
We cant unionize as we are not employees and would not be protected under Federal law or the NLRB. Striking is another animal, but you would have to get the idiots that think tax free $6.00 an hour is great!

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Thanks to the Upfront Pricing Scam Uber is starting to get a Big Chunk out of longer rides too. In some cases they get more than the driver. That's when the Upfront Price is bloated because the system recommends an ultra long route and base the fare off of that. Now the driver ignores the ridiculous longer route and takes a shorter route getting the customer to the location much faster. What ends up happening is that the customer still pays the bloated Upfront Cost but since the Driver didn't drive that route you don't get any of it you only get the miles and time you took on your shorter route. So now Uber is Winning Big on the Short Minimum Rides and they are cleaning up on the Longer Rides thanks to Upfront Pricing.

The only way to defeat Upfront pricing is to trick the algorithm. This can only be done by the rider. When you are going on a long 30+ minute trip DO NOT put that address in first. Put some address very near by in first. Then, once the driver comes and picks you up update the address while you are in the car to the long distance location. Your fare will be fairly billed based on your Actual miles and time and the Driver will be fairly compensated for the miles and time they drove.

We need to spread the word on this or we'll keep getting bent over by Uber on both the shorter and longer rides.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I honestly don't care what Uber or Lyft charge the customer . That is between them . My concern is what I am paid . Right now it is too low per mile and certainly per minute to accept most pings . The companies exacerbate the situation by restricting the information they give regarding each ping .
You should want these companies to be successful . Let them take as much as they can from the customer but in doing so they need to insure that every ride at least has the potential to be profitable to the people that are providing the service . This would obviously result in higher acceptance rates , quicker service and happier riders and drivers , one would hope .

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts

In your year end statement please look at Gross billing versus net to you. Now way less than 50%.

Long long ago..in a time now far away. Uber paid a larger % of fare to drivers and drivers did their job. ...but then a dark force came. Drivers began to game the system, cherry pick rides, surge only, and use other services. Passengers suffer...you could hear their collective cry. ...so Uber took money away from the fare and had to create all kinds of incentives and lets be honest...games...just so drivers would do their job. The END

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I honestly don't care what Uber or Lyft charge the customer . That is between them . My concern is what I am paid . Right now it is too low per mile and certainly per minute to accept most pings . The companies exacerbate the situation by restricting the information they give regarding each ping .
You should want these companies to be successful . Let them take as much as they can from the customer but in doing so they need to insure that every ride at least has the potential to be profitable to the people that are providing the service . This would obviously result in higher acceptance rates , quicker service and happier riders and drivers , one would hope .
Generally the higher the amount the passenger is charged the less is left over for you as a tip. Also as they raise prices (without giving any of the raise to the driver) they reduce demand. Since you aren't getting paid anything additional and are suffering from the reduce demand it is actually a net negative for you versus what it was before they raised the prices on the customer (without giving you anything more).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks to the Upfront Pricing Scam Uber is starting to get a Big Chunk out of longer rides too. In some cases they get more than the driver. That's when the Upfront Price is bloated because the system recommends an ultra long route and base the fare off of that. Now the driver ignores the ridiculous longer route and takes a shorter route getting the customer to the location much faster. What ends up happening is that the customer still pays the bloated Upfront Cost but since the Driver didn't drive that route you don't get any of it you only get the miles and time you took on your shorter route. So now Uber is Winning Big on the Short Minimum Rides and they are cleaning up on the Longer Rides thanks to Upfront Pricing.

The only way to defeat Upfront pricing is to trick the algorithm. This can only be done by the rider. When you are going on a long 30+ minute trip DO NOT put that address in first. Put some address very near by in first. Then, once the driver comes and picks you up update the address while you are in the car to the long distance location. Your fare will be fairly billed based on your Actual miles and time and the Driver will be fairly compensated for the miles and time they drove.

We need to spread the word on this or we'll keep getting bent over by Uber on both the shorter and longer rides.
Too bad uber/lyft are coming out with the upfront surge pricing. Its another way to take more of the fare away from the driver and put it in their pocket. It went live in some markets yesterday and I heard its launching in many more today.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts