·
Premium Member
26,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Nell

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Now that tips are being accepted via the platform, UBER can reduce the boost and quest promotions under the guise that tips make up the difference. Achieving financial parity is now a gamble on the tip mechanism. Drivers will always be held to the hourly rate that Uber thinks is "fair". The formula for achieving that is always being evaluated and adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now that tips are being accepted via the platform, UBER can reduce the boost and quest promotions under the guise that tips make up the difference. Achieving financial parity is now a gamble on the tip mechanism. Drivers will always be held to the hourly rate that Uber thinks is "fair". The formula for achieving that is always being evaluated and adjusted accordingly.
Very well said.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Except we don't have tips yet here

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
And just to think all the overly optimistic love for Uber 180 Days of BS a few days ago along the lines of "At least they are starting to do the right thing". No they have yet to prove it. I agree with the cynical view of tipping expressed above. Uber wants it's drivers to develop a Stockholm Syndrome relationship with the mother ship.

It can be a good gig if they look seriously at rates, but only if they do.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I understand the viewpoint here but I have a couple comments. Let me quickly say that it is true that uber sets the rates, but it does not do so abstractly as to what it considers as "fair"; it does so based on market and business goals.

First, drivers already receive tips. We do not know yet whether tip income significantly will increase solely because of the new in-app feature. There are some reports from lyft-ers that they receive a little more tip income on lyft compared to uber - not a lot. If it was a lot -- no one would drive uber.

Second, uber has been increasing driver revenue although not with base rate increase which I think will happen soon. I don't have "data" other than my own experience, but if you reasonably play the quests and surges, you should, on average, be making more than last year, on average, for the same effort. Uber has not slashed rates as was feared and the existence of quests boosts etc is evidence that uber knows it needs to pay more in order to have a service. They aren't going to remove the boosts and quests just because tipping is in-app.

Finally, I just don't buy into the notion that uber is evil and conceives itself as an organization with the purpose to screw drivers at every opportunity. It is a business plowing new frontiers. We are all data points in algorithms!!! Uber needs drivers. Change at the top is good, the recent changes are a step in the right direction.

Actually, be careful what you wish for. Higher driver compensation surely will increase number of drivers and result in fewer pings.

·
Banned
5,383 Posts
Hopefully they use the tips in their calculation of the formula.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What's there to reduce at 1.1x? lol. I do complete my quest only when it's 20-27 trip but not at 63 or 70. Expect people to tip at $1-$2 at the most since Uber is already overcharging the passenger.

·
Premium Member
26,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't have "data" other than my own experience, but if you reasonably play the quests and surges, you should, on average, be making more than last year, on average, for the same effort. Uber has not slashed rates as was feared and the existence of quests boosts etc is evidence that uber knows it needs to pay more in order to have a service.
Not being confrontational with you. I hope you're right about some of it, I just am not optimistic.

As for making same as last year, last year was the Platinum Metals Program. I have to be much more of a surge/boost harlot than last year. Last year I drove 2 to 3 times more because the zones and Boosts were much more generous.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Hopefully they use the tips in their calculation of the formula.
Since you tip $0.00 nothing should change.

Last we was making over 2k a week.
Not this year. Not even close
Last year they also had the Hourly Platinum program. I never did that but some people made a killing on it. Hide out, watch Netflix, get paid. Rinse and repeat for maximum $$$$.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.