Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
this is why we need a higher rate per mile but politicians are too stupid to advocate for that instead they want a boss breathing our necks with no flexibility so you get attacked from both sides
Let's get one thing straight, that app breathes down the drivers' necks more so than many "human" bosses, and even more so with food delivery...

"We noticed you're doing this, or that, or the other thing, which to remind you is a violation of our policy"

"We noticed you were late getting to the restaurant for pickup", etc, etc, etc.

On top of being watched by the app, rideshare drivers have pax breathing down their necks from the back seat critiquing their driving and empowered to not only rate the drivers but also to report them.

Delivery customers also have rating and report power.

Flexibility? How much "flexibility" do you think the full time drivers have who are working 70+ hours per week?

It's sure nice being your own "boss", lol.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Goodluck getting rideshare drivers organized. Ain't happening.
You don't need large numbers of drivers to be organized, you just need to get the attention of the media and the pols.

The 2019 strike was small but got lots of media attention which in turn got the attention of pols including at least two presidential candidates. That strike was a catalyst for AB5 in California.

·
Banned
31 Posts
I agreed that is abusive but the answer is that you shouldn't drive for base rates ever. It is just too hard to make a living at base rates.
Uber was never designed for you to “make a living”. It’s a gig. 90% of the *****ing stems from trying to make Uber something it was never designed to be…..simply because you want it to be.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Today with LYFT only, I made $74.23 in almost 10 hours of non stop work. Subtract the $20 for gas and $7.24 for tolls and it was $47.00 for the day. I asked 6 rides what they were paying. Turns out LYFT took 68% of all fares for those 6.

I believe it's time to organize a nationwide 3-5 day strike that continues once a month until some demand are met. Those are enough days to severely hurt both LYFT and Uber financially.

Imagine what an impact it would make should 70%-80% of drivers call a strike for 5 days in Miami. Around 80% of all vacation visitors would be stranded at the airport. Stranded at their hotel and resorts. Stranded at restaurants they went to. For 5 days.

It would not only cripple these rip off rideshare companies, it would devastate local economies as well. So much so, legislator's would be compelled to get involved. On the side of the drivers.

Would be great to see both LYFT and Uber be forced by new laws that restrict them to only 30% of ANY fare. The rest goes to the drivers. The way it should be.

What say you?
I doubt you worked non-stop. Seems a little hyperbolic.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Today with LYFT only, I made $74.23 in almost 10 hours of non stop work. Subtract the $20 for gas and $7.24 for tolls and it was $47.00 for the day. I asked 6 rides what they were paying. Turns out LYFT took 68% of all fares for those 6.

I believe it's time to organize a nationwide 3-5 day strike that continues once a month until some demand are met. Those are enough days to severely hurt both LYFT and Uber financially.

Imagine what an impact it would make should 70%-80% of drivers call a strike for 5 days in Miami. Around 80% of all vacation visitors would be stranded at the airport. Stranded at their hotel and resorts. Stranded at restaurants they went to. For 5 days.

It would not only cripple these rip off rideshare companies, it would devastate local economies as well. So much so, legislator's would be compelled to get involved. On the side of the drivers.

Would be great to see both LYFT and Uber be forced by new laws that restrict them to only 30% of ANY fare. The rest goes to the drivers. The way it should be.

What say you?
This is Rideshare 2021.
I have heard of strikes for years and they never work.
Taxi's benefit as well as drivers who use strikes to make tons of money.
As hard as this sounds the 47 dollars you made is a harsh reality.
Your car also depreciated as well.
So really we have two choices turn on our apps and drive or stay at home that day.

·
Premium Member
2019 Reproduction 1860s era Stage Coach, Vintage Italian Leather Saddle, A-36 stainless horse shoes
8,194 Posts
Uber was never designed for you to “make a living”. It’s a gig. 90% of the *****ing stems from trying to make Uber something it was never designed to be…..simply because you want it to be.
Back when only licensed insured black car services could get on the uber platform I'm willing to bet it WAS a job and not a gig.

Strange because the cars I use are on the uber platform and I know loads of people who do it full time. At most I do 3 days of rentals a week.

Three rentals a week for me?

$373 out of pocket to rent the car. One 12 hour taxi rental for $73 and two 24 hour rentals for $150.

Sunday 9:00 pm to monday 9:00 am = $200-300 (12 hours)
Wednesday 9:00 am to disney close = $300+ (12-15 hours)
Thursday 4:00 am to 9:00 am = $100+ (5 hours)
9:00 am to 7:00 am Friday/Saturday morning =$400-500 (22 hours)

$373 for the car rental and $1,000-1200 and maybe $100 in gas/tolls.

That's 500-725+ in profit for 50 hours. And that still leaves me with all of Tuesday off and most of Saturday, Monday and Thursday.

And that's with only renting a car for 3 "days" a week.

Not sure I could ever work "full time" thou.

I'll let you know if I try.

Reactions: Jimmy44

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Back when only licensed insured black car services could get on the uber platform I'm willing to bet it WAS a job and not a gig.

Strange because the cars I use are on the uber platform and I know loads of people who do it full time. At most I do 3 days of rentals a week.

Three rentals a week for me?

$373 out of pocket to rent the car. One 12 hour taxi rental for $73 and two 24 hour rentals for $150.

Sunday 9:00 pm to monday 9:00 am = $200-300 (12 hours)
Wednesday 9:00 am to disney close = $300+ (12-15 hours)
Thursday 4:00 am to 9:00 am = $100+ (5 hours)
9:00 am to 7:00 am Friday/Saturday morning =$400-500 (22 hours)

$373 for the car rental and $1,000-1200 and maybe $100 in gas/tolls.

That's 500-725+ in profit for 50 hours. And that still leaves me with all of Tuesday off and most of Saturday, Monday and Thursday.

And that's with only renting a car for 3 "days" a week.

Not sure I could ever work "full time" thou.

I'll let you know if I try.
It's amazing how you can rent your vehicle and still make a decent second income.
In the last month I have spent 1400 on breaks, 800 on tires, 200 on coolant flush, 200 on transmission and still need my sparkplugs 400 and fuel injectors cleaned 200.
So weather you rent or own or lease you are going to have to pay one way or another.

·
Registered
30 Posts

What say you?
yeah, Tuesdays are the worst so why not go fishing? You deserve a day off. Make good money on the weekend. There are plenty of other jobs out there, but I love this one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Even though there is no doubt that Lyft is exploiting drivers, and the driver in this case, it may not be a 68% take. For one thing it is a little weird that it was exactly 68% in every case. Usually I've seen it vary a bit.

More important, there are two numbers Lyft gives the rider; the estimate of the ride, and the final total. I can only speak to my spot checks over the years, but the final total, which comes to the pax in an email, is often less than the original estimate. So when we drivers ask a pax what they paid, be sure to get the final bill, which may not show for a few minutes after the ride is completed.
That was the average, not each.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
You,along with OP, must have not seen Solarah’s Lyft screenshots
Apparently not. But you, along with 2 or 3 other drivers, are willing to wait until the end of time waiting for your pax to show up, teaching them that your time is not valuable. My guess is, you love Lyft.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
yeah, Tuesdays are the worst so why not go fishing? You deserve a day off. Make good money on the weekend. There are plenty of other jobs out there, but I love this one.
Some people use Rideshare as an enjoyable and profitable hobby.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts