Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Premium Member
SYDNEY TRANSPORT HEADING 3RD WORLD STATUS 馃槷 View attachment 672367
Do taxi have an age limit over in NSW? Over here there is no age limit on taxi or commercial hire vehicles as long as they pass an annual full inspection by a licensed DOT approved mechanic in which they look over the vehicle top to bottom at the cost of nearly $170 as the price goes up by ten bucks on average year by year.

Generally it is uber discretion on vehicle age limit or ANCAP rating etc if local state laws have no age out limits. I've seen taxi a bit rare now that are pre 21st century just last week still going strong :LOL: but plenty of 15 plus year old taxi going the owner just run them until the transmission or engine blows up and than scarp it. Don't really have a market for taxi with 1-2 million KM from that era as they are not even hybrid.

Over in America Uber have had up to 15 years going since inception if local state laws have no age out rule.
Uber loss a lot of drivers with it own ANCAP 5 stars that either stopped driving or working for the competitors so it trying to draw in more drivers by opening up the car age as it competitors has no ANCAP requirement but they've stuck to a decade age out self imposed rule. Which they might adjust it next year as there still a global shortage of "new cars".

Something else I just noticed on the page!

Receive an extra $750 when you sign-up now and complete 30 trips!
*Must complete trips within 90 days of commencing signing up. See eligible cities and additional terms below.

Premium Member
So those that on boarded a less than 5 star safety rated vehicle a few years ago and have continued to drive it, will get a few more years then.

The whole 5 star safety thing was launched and part of FUbers "safety never stops" campaign back then. So it would appear safety has not officially stopped, it's just been delayed a few more years. 馃槀

Funny how when FUber are desperate for more drivers, such things can be reviewed and the policy "diluted".

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do taxi have an age limit over in NSW? Over here there is no age limit on taxi or commercial hire vehicles as long as they pass an annual full inspection by a licensed DOT approved mechanic in which they look over the vehicle top to bottom at the cost of nearly $170 as the price goes up by ten bucks on average year by year.

Generally it is uber discretion on vehicle age limit or ANCAP rating etc if local state laws have no age out limits. I've seen taxi a bit rare now that are pre 21st century just last week still going strong :LOL: but plenty of 15 plus year old taxi going the owner just run them until the transmission or engine blows up and than scarp it. Don't really have a market for taxi with 1-2 million KM from that era as they are not even hybrid.

Over in America Uber have had up to 15 years going since inception if local state laws have no age out rule.
Uber loss a lot of drivers with it own ANCAP 5 stars that either stopped driving or working for the competitors so it trying to draw in more drivers by opening up the car age as it competitors has no ANCAP requirement but they've stuck to a decade age out self imposed rule. Which they might adjust it next year as there still a global shortage of "new cars".

Something else I just noticed on the page!

Receive an extra $750 when you sign-up now and complete 30 trips!
*Must complete trips within 90 days of commencing signing up. See eligible cities and additional terms below.
Government regulation changed to allow any aged vehicle to be a taxi....but every network sets their own age rules.

13cabs....not more than 10 years old.
Silver cabs...not more than 8 years old.

Premium Member
You can鈥檛 cure stupidity unfortunately!
Government regulation changed to allow any aged vehicle to be a taxi....but every network sets their own age rules.

If you look at the condition of most taxi license plates, I guess you can only rebirth a Camry so many times in a 8-10 year period鈥︹

Premium Member
Finally. I have always wanted to buy a 12 year old used BWM 7 Series Limousine to do Uber Premiere rides in pure luxury. I will start looking, my clients deserve a world class German car. Not some junk new Camry.
Yeah don't qualify for anything but uberx and you'll go broke :LOL:
parts and labour to keep the wheel spinning on that you can't cover it with uberx rates.

Uber keeps the age limit on for everything apart from uberx. Even XL is capped to 12 years like the extra seats disappear by magic afterwards.

Reactions: DA08

Premium Member

Yeah and there is other businesses that don't have any age caps that are operating plus independents as well. Rates doesn't increase in a taxi just because you have a newer car either. Drunks at midnight are not either and they are not going out of their way to find new cars. If they were going to get into a taxi it is still whatever closes and first available.

Don't know about you but I'm still seeing a lot of early 2000s taxi out and about on the road and they literally get run to the ground and than towed to the scrap yard after the engine blow ups or something costly happens that not worth the labour cost to fix because parts for those are in junk yards everywhere.

You go 2nd and 3rd world countries they like cars that are 40-60 years old for a reason. Labour cost is cheap so they can pretty much make their own parts to keep those cars running forever since there nothing hard or complicated on them and there no sensor either just simple parts. They'll go out of business with what they make daily with a modern <20 year car with a million sensors and precision parts that cost more than what they'll make in a year.

With the cost of operating ur own vehicle with rates as they are it not worth getting anything newer than 12 years if the driver just wants to make any kind of money his better finding >12 where he can pick up parts from the junk yard and scrap yard and get some back yard mechanic to put it in for him. Getting charged 120-150 per hour labour rates from a big workshop with a dozen mechanic going to really dig into profits on a car that worth a week or two of wages in resell value.

Premium Member
Yeah don't qualify for anything but uberx and you'll go broke :LOL:
parts and labour to keep the wheel spinning on that you can't cover it with uberx rates.

Uber keeps the age limit on for everything apart from uberx. Even XL is capped to 12 years like the extra seats disappear by magic afterwards.
I have a plan.

A luxurious 13 year old 2009 BMW 7 Series will make my riders very happy as they ride in pure German luxury. No one will ever request a Premier or Comfort job if a BMW 7 Series picks them up on Uber X rates. I will take over all Uber X pings, riders will start cancelling their pings if they see a Sandeep in a Camry getting their ping especially if they request Comfort only to get a stinky Camry. They will all want a 2009 BMW 7 Series to pick them up to travel in style. I will rule all Uber X pings.

Premium Member
I have a plan.

A luxurious 13 year old 2009 BMW 7 Series will make my riders very happy as they ride in pure German luxury. No one will ever request a Premier or Comfort job if a BMW 7 Series picks them up on Uber X rates. I will take over all Uber X pings, riders will start cancelling their pings if they see a Sandeep in a Camry getting their ping especially if they request Comfort only to get a stinky Camry. They will all want a 2009 BMW 7 Series to pick them up to travel in style.
Unless you get the SUV BMW most riders are going to assume it just a new Camry especially at night. The sedans are all pretty much the same run of the mill.

The only thing different to for you with the sedan is the 3x more you got to spend on upkeep.

Reactions: DA08

Registered
I have a plan.

A luxurious 13 year old 2009 BMW 7 Series will make my riders very happy as they ride in pure German luxury. No one will ever request a Premier or Comfort job if a BMW 7 Series picks them up on Uber X rates. I will take over all Uber X pings, riders will start cancelling their pings if they see a Sandeep in a Camry getting their ping especially if they request Comfort only to get a stinky Camry. They will all want a 2009 BMW 7 Series to pick them up to travel in style. I will rule all Uber X pings.
You're a brave man to own a BMW out of warranty, let alone a 7 series. Balls of steel

Premium Member

2023 Toyota Corolla Cross Australian pricing
  • Corolla Cross GX petrol FWD 鈥 $33,000
  • Corolla Cross GX hybrid FWD 鈥 $35,500
  • Corolla Cross GXL petrol FWD 鈥 $36,750
  • Corolla Cross GXL hybrid FWD 鈥 $39,250
  • Corolla Cross GXL hybrid AWD 鈥 $42,250
  • Corolla Cross Atmos petrol FWD 鈥 $43,550
  • Corolla Cross Atmos hybrid FWD 鈥 $46,050
  • Corolla Cross Atmos hybrid AWD 鈥 $49,050

Premium Member
I have a plan.

Hope you got a spare kidney when it breaks down 馃榿

Registered
I have a plan.

Good plan mate, bmw are not any different from any other cars when its about fixing them, its just the badge. If you know how to look after them go ahead with the bmw. I do like your idea.
I'm getting sick of camry just knowing most of uber drivers are driving them.They are not bullet proof. They do cost as well to be fixed.
I know a person with mercedes and he makes good money on weekends because the young ones love luxury cars.

Premium Member
Good plan mate, bmw are not any different from any other cars when its about fixing them, its just the badge. If you know how to look after them go ahead with the bmw. I do like your idea.
I'm getting sick of camry just knowing most of uber drivers are driving them.They are not bullet proof. They do cost as well to be fixed.
I know a person with mercedes and he makes good money on weekends because the young ones love luxury cars.
Apples to orange comparison with Mercedes that designed to be used as a taxi as they build taxi commercial variety for use as private hire cars to taxi purposes to an 7 series that more for private use and cost an absolute fortune for parts and services.

His not exactly new either had a couple of the forum 4 years ago with brand new within warranty 7 series BMW that has said they weren't making enough to cover running cost either with Uber and quit. That within warranty period. Ent was saying he wanted an out of warranty decade plus old one where parts going to be dying one after another under commercial use for uberx.

I've driven a few people picking up their new 7 series that within warranty from the dealership and they say it spends a lot of time getting worked on than what they even get driving it and that private use case.

To think parts and service on a Camry is the same or in the range of BMW 7 series is quite an understatement because they really are on the opposite end of things.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts