Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Some of the guys rock. All day and all night.
2. Someone is having real fun reposting 2 year old threads. Occasionally, it's a hoot.
2 Some other guys are just angry, period.
4. Women don't seem to enjoy engaged participation 'round here.
(think it might be because of the angry men!)
5. New guys find forum and without searching a single thread or even spending a single minute reading anything and ask the same questions over and over again.
(Only thing more annoying is a backseat normcore tracking ride with Waze...." yanno there's a speed-camera a block up on the left"....)
6. Everyone like to rat/rant on the pit and it's Resident drivers.
7. All we really care about is the surge, the surge and, our unfair pay in the surge.
(myopic)
8. Could not drive smart without the updates--heads ups and new flashes pertaining to driving. round he're.
Thank you.
9. Everyone must drive like a madman because there appears no currency for prudence. Dear Prudence.
10. NO one has a clue what to do if everything goes very wrong. Carjack, Hijack, shots fired.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
2 Some other guys are just angry, period.
And you don't think guys should be angry, do you? Everyone should do themselves a favor and Google 'Saul Alinsky' and find out about the history of Back of the Yards and the way things have to be in order for anything to ever change for working people. Remember when people had bumper stickers that said "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention"? Did that phrase only have meaning when Bush 2 was in office?
4. Women don't seem to enjoy engaged participation 'round here.
(think it might be because of the angry men!)
Or might have something to do with the fact that probably at least 85% of drivers of taxi/rideshare are men, not women... (sorry if I offend anyone with my reinforcement of the gender binary!!!)
I don't hear too much anti-woman sentiment here, and I'm not so convinced that women have some kind of special 'nature' that makes them adverse to strong opinions... because what I think you are referring to is not necessarily 'anger', but strong opinions. You might hear anger because the cognitive dissonance is uncomfortable, but what you are experiencing is cognitive dissonance, that is, the psychological trauma associated with attempting to reconcile two contradictory "facts", as it were. It may sound like anger when somebody presents a position counter to the popular consensus, but I classify it as courage, not necessarily anger.
(Only thing more annoying is a backseat normcore tracking ride with Waze...." yanno there's a speed-camera a block up on the left"....)
Normcore - LOL... too funny
9. Everyone must drive like a madman because there appears no currency for prudence. Dear Prudence.
From the Seattle rideshare collective bargaining ordinance:
sec. 1 (I)(2.)

"Establishing the drivers' contractual terms through a collective negotiation process will also help ensure that the compensation drivers receive for their services is sufficient to alleviate undue financial pressure to provide transportation in an unsafe manner (such as by working longer hours than is safe, skipping needed breaks, or operating vehicles at unsafe speeds in order to maximize the number of trips completed) or to ignore maintenance necessary to the safe and reliable operation of their vehicles. Enabling driver participation in the formulation of vehicle equipment standards and safe driving practices will help ensure that those standards and practices are responsive to driver needs, including changing conditions, and that drivers will agree with and follow those standards and practices."

isosconfig, your contributions here are well received (especially your poetry, which I would actually call "free verse"). Thanks for posting.

Reactions: qiaoxiaopang

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
why is it ironic? he's saying something is racist that has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with race. Claims of racism are thrown about way to often these days - usually incorrectly. Was the statement sexist? maybe. but definitely not racist.
look up the definition of 'irony' please
#noirony

Here, let me do the work for you, lest ye attempt to misconstrue a dictionary definition:

From Cambridge:
literature Irony is a style of writing in which there is a noticeable, often humorous, difference between what is said and the intended meaning.

As you so adeptly pointed out, the statement is actually ironic in at least 2 dimensions, which makes it all the more clever.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And you don't think guys should be angry, do you?
Radical rules may apply. First sign of a lost civilization is the loss of civility. Anarchy be damned I need the street lights working! Gil Scott's untelevised revolution has a questionable cousin with anonymous forums. I offer Sinclair's Jungle to understand the back of the yards...or revolution, for that matter. Add to understand "Ghetto" as a pejorative regarding Chicago's South Side....I insist if you don't understand redlining and white flight, perhaps Larson's The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair. Outraged, I can handle.

85% of drivers of taxi/rideshare are men, not women...
That right? Not a challenge just a, ah, okay, might have missed that.

Kind words, kind of you to mention, Mapnik. This thread will soon hijacked about how to drive lower Wacker drive, so may I ask the team for the billionth time?

Number 10. Whatcha gonna do when the bad boys come for you?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm no angel, Candi. This interface and it's challenges notwithstanding--I confess--not always the best man I can be on or off forum. I think driving around alone with few thrills contributes to my most base nature surfacing. Me be deplorable at times. Would never catcall or body/picture shame ever anywhere. But women throughout the metro area have seen me geek, gawk, and drool. Paying it forward, glad you are here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm no angel, Candi. This interface and it's challenges notwithstanding--I confess--not always the best man I can be on or off forum. I think driving around alone with few thrills contributes to my most base nature surfacing. Me be deplorable at times. Would never catcall or body/picture shame ever anywhere. But women throughout the metro area have seen me geek, gawk, and drool. Paying it forward, glad you are here.
Gawk and drool, there are women who like a man to look. :) The internet brings out the best in some people, I can hold my own, just got tired of every response to my comment almost always being you are fat or some variation of that. It really is lazy, lol.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Gil Scott's untelevised revolution has a questionable cousin with anonymous forums. I offer Sinclair's Jungle to understand the back of the yards...or revolution, for that matter. Add to understand "Ghetto" as a pejorative regarding Chicago's South Side....I insist if you don't understand redlining and white flight, perhaps Larson's The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair. Outraged, I can handle.
The revolution will not go better with Coke
The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath
The revolution will put you in the driver's seat

But please - I have a masters in urban planning (as useless as it is, I was a student not so much of urban planning as urban studies), and trust me, a work of historical fiction can't teach me anything about redlining or anything else related to any kind of conditions in American cities, past or present... it's actually a lot worse than most people understand.

Where you may misunderstand me is in my approach. (I shouldn't need to state this, but) I am actually of the Marxist view that race politics (while certainly valid) can have the effect (by design) of distracting working people from the class politics that should be the primary concern. And that's exactly what we've seen happen in the last 10 years, going back to the financial crisis and the destruction of the global economy by Wall Street, which was the root of all the headline issues of today and the true source of Donald Trump, POTUS #45... for various reasons, we can't seem to confront the elephant in the room, which is the impunity of Wall Street (and now Silicon Valley), so, in the process of repression, the conversation just boils over with paranoiac fascisizing (that's Deleuze now) in and around all kinds of factions, when the real enemy of the People is corporate power.

Recommendations: Lewis Mumford, Technics and Civilization and/or The Culture of Cities; Henry George, Progress and Poverty

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.