Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely the worst. $1.00 is bad enough but now $1.50 + 20% on a $5 -$10 fare just sucks.

I can't imagine doing this job for any less. And now new ppl signing up have to give up 25%? wtf

Worked all night getting fares under $10. Look at my earnings and all I see are single digit paying trips.

Had a PAX call me during high surge. When I get there he proceeds to say "well how much do u think it'll cost with the surge?" I'm thinking "if I tell this guy the truth he's going to try and haggle me or just cancel and I lose the surge". I tell him the price of what it would cost without the surge and lie saying "...I'm not really sure though...I havent driven there before". Guy gets hammered with a high bill when I take him out to Sauga.

Don't like what this job is turning me into. I've prided myself in being a honest man my whole life. Now cab drivers reporting plates, bylaw enforcement running sting operations, ungrateful riders all while Uber screws me on vehicle costs.

It's about time drivers look to form a union or take Uber to court to be reclassified as employees like the driver in California did. Uber won't do the right thing unless they are forced to. They can masquerade as a saviour to the citizens of our city from high cab costs but those low fares are being subsidized by us sacrificing out vehicles.

Then reading about the driver in Ottawa with the 5 star rating. "I never drive angry"... must be nice. Sounds like a fairy tale from where I'm sitting.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
As long as Uber has drivers willing to work for next to nothing, you can't expect to ever see any change. Unless you count the change that is being pawned off as your weekly pay.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
You can't really factor the increase in the SRF as a decrease in your driver earnings.

Before the $1.50, the total fare before the uber cut would have been 50 cents less. The increase to $1.50 from $1 didn't come from your earnings as your earnings stayed the same. It just means the PAX was charged 50 cents more and that 50 cents went to Uber while no changes occurred to you as a driver.

The new to change to 25% placed on new drivers obviously changes the driver earnings in comparison to drivers who signed up before the change.

I, myself would never drive under that commission rate. Hell, I've stopped driving under my current 20% Uber commission rate. All the insurance shenanigans, less surges, driving for 80 cents / km, gas costs, vehicle W&T, makes this a bad experience which also takes away time from doing things more important in life (life is too short to drive entitled pax for peanuts while uninsured).

Trying to organize a union won't work unless you have a way of communicating with every single driver. So forget about that fairytale.

It all comes down to this, if you are not happy with the money you make while destroying your vehicle and during uninsured, then stop doing it. Nobody is forcing you to do this. People got by just fine before Uber.

If Uber is your only source of income, well that was a mistake. You are better off putting an end to that. Look for another job or borrow money money and go back to school to learn something else.

Or you continue driving for peanuts and complain about the low money you make. But complaining does nothing. If you haven't quit now then that just tells Uber that they are paying you too much which will eventually result in lower rates.

Djino
"Good luck to you"

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
It all comes down to this, if you are not happy with the money you make while destroying your vehicle and during uninsured, then stop doing it. Nobody is forcing you to do this.
This is golden. Couldn't have expressed better!

This also applies to everything else you said in your post.

Plain and simple.

Reactions: djino

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't really factor the increase in the SRF as a decrease in your driver earnings.

Before the $1.50, the total fare before the uber cut would have been 50 cents less. The increase to $1.50 from $1 didn't come from your earnings as your earnings stayed the same. It just means the PAX was charged 50 cents more and that 50 cents went to Uber while no changes occurred to you as a driver.

The new to change to 25% placed on new drivers obviously changes the driver earnings in comparison to drivers who signed up before the change.

I, myself would never drive under that commission rate. Hell, I've stopped driving under my current 20% Uber commission rate. All the insurance shenanigans, less surges, driving for 80 cents / km, gas costs, vehicle W&T, makes this a bad experience which also takes away time from doing things more important in life (life is too short to drive entitled pax for peanuts while uninsured).

Trying to organize a union won't work unless you have a way of communicating with every single driver. So forget about that fairytale.

It all comes down to this, if you are not happy with the money you make while destroying your vehicle and during uninsured, then stop doing it. Nobody is forcing you to do this. People got by just fine before Uber.

If Uber is your only source of income, well that was a mistake. You are better off putting an end to that. Look for another job or borrow money money and go back to school to learn something else.

Or you continue driving for peanuts and complain about the low money you make. But complaining does nothing. If you haven't quit now then that just tells Uber that they are paying you too much which will eventually result in lower rates.

Djino
"Good luck to you"
The fact that you believe that last part about "personal choice" is a load of crap. I understand exactly how a free market works and how people buy into such rhetoric that supports this bs is not only insulting but dangerous.

I make no illusions about anything changing overnight. The "sharing" economy has changed things and regulation is still lagging behind the times. There is however a reason why workers have rights and a minimum wage was established. To argue something as simplistic as "If you don't like it then don't drive" is naive. Based on that arguement there should be no minimum wage or worker's rights because hey... if they dont like the terms of set forth by their employer they can just leave right?

Every person's situation is different and corporations will exploit workers unless they are protected. There will always be some desperate soul that will do what they must to keep their head above water. To imagine you know me, my situation or anyone else's for that matter would be a mistake. The reality of your situation is not the same as mine. I go to school p/t and have been looking for work for over a year now. If I was under 40 I would have no problem doing a manual labor job.

The apathy people show is unbelieveable. Like I am the only one on here who has complained about working for Uber. We all complain but nobody shows any cojones. The lady who sued Uber successfully in California didn't just lay down and say "Oh I should have just stopped working." She didnt show apathy, she litigated and won the initial round. In the long run who knows but I respect that lady for standing up for herself and trying to set a precedent for those workers who come behind her.

Yes I was complaining this morning. I make no apologies for it. I had a bad night, was tired and p.o. and chose to speak my mind on this forum based on seeing a post from a newbie talking about working 40 hrs a week to trying to figure out a way to survive.

"The good luck to you" comment you can keep that. Stick it back in your pocket and save it for the next guy.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Eventually Uber drivers will be afforded protections and some rights, but not until "ride sharing" is worked into regulations first. One battle at a time. What you want is just not possible right now. Completely agree with you and sympathize. I drive fulltime Uber now, and its got alot of pros, alot of cons. Alot of work still to be done to make this new industry legit and settled down.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
The fact that you believe that last part about "personal choice" is a load of crap. I understand exactly how a free market works and how people buy into such rhetoric that supports this bs is not only insulting but dangerous.

I make no illusions about anything changing overnight. The "sharing" economy has changed things and regulation is still lagging behind the times. There is however a reason why workers have rights and a minimum wage was established. To argue something as simplistic as "If you don't like it then don't drive" is naive. Based on that arguement there should be no minimum wage or worker's rights because hey... if they dont like the terms of set forth by their employer they can just leave right?
You may not have the illusion of anything changing overnight, but you make the unrealistic appearance that by posting your frustrations about Uber on an online forum that likely isn't seen (and/or acted upon) by any Media/Regulator/Uber themselves, will some how produce a positive change that you are seeking.

Its blatantly obviously that if Drivers could organize in some way (form a union/etc.) could make waves to positive changes, but your ideas have been mentioned over and over on this forum by other members, but obviously everybody at this point lacks the ability to implement this to be successful.

This is the reason that I reply to such posts as yours in the same fashion. Simply saying what drivers should do without providing any means on how to actually do it, is just a whole lot of empty nothingness that doesn't change anything. It basically comes down to making a personal choice about Uber. Either continue to drive under current conditions since nobody is forcing Uber on you, or STOP DRIVING. Its really as simple as that.

Unless you want to steer the discussion onto specific things you have done (or want to do) that will produce positive changes for all drivers, then I'm happy to continue the discussion on your ideas and the merits of success.

Every person's situation is different and corporations will exploit workers unless they are protected. There will always be some desperate soul that will do what they must to keep their head above water. To imagine you know me, my situation or anyone else's for that matter would be a mistake. The reality of your situation is not the same as mine. I go to school p/t and have been looking for work for over a year now. If I was under 40 I would have no problem doing a manual labor job.
I don't pretend to know anything about you or the majority of people on this forum's situation. Uber has only been around in recent years which means there was a time Uber was not around. If Uber didn't exists today (the city of Toronto could come out with rideshare regulations that Uber doesn't want to comply with and just end up leaving Toronto), what would you be doing in your professional life then? Does it not make sense (personally to you) to go in that direction in figuring out your next professional goals, instead of further wasting your time driving for Uber and complaining about it on an online forum hoping that the situation magically changes for the better.

I understand and agree that Uber is exploiting its drivers. But I'm also realistic to believe that I cannot personally do anything to produce a positive change. I have even communicated to reporters the issues involving Uber, but none of them wanted to run with the story. I've emailed Uber and went to their local offices to discuss my issues, but obviously Uber isn't in threat of the status quo, so they are not inclined to change it. I also know its completely silly to believe that the majority of Uber drivers participate on this forum which would allow us the ability to organize and force changes on Uber.

It all comes down to you and you alone. You are obviously content with the status quo, which is why you are continuing to drive under such conditions. Maybe its because you are not driven to make any changes to your professional life, but it also doesn't mean you do not have options. Everybody does.

I myself have stopped driving when I used to drive about 10-12 hours / week. It simply isn't worth it (risk wise / time wise / money wise) to drive entitled pax around uninsured for peanuts while I destroy my car that much faster. I made that personal choice to stop, but I also do not judge others who continue. But at the same time, it simply does not make sense to continue down the Uber path if it doesn't make you happy.

The apathy people show is unbelieveable. Like I am the only one on here who has complained about working for Uber. We all complain but nobody shows any cojones. The lady who sued Uber successfully in California didn't just lay down and say "Oh I should have just stopped working." She didnt show apathy, she litigated and won the initial round. In the long run who knows but I respect that lady for standing up for herself and trying to set a precedent for those workers who come behind her.

Yes I was complaining this morning. I make no apologies for it. I had a bad night, was tired and p.o. and chose to speak my mind on this forum based on seeing a post from a newbie talking about working 40 hrs a week to trying to figure out a way to survive.

"The good luck to you" comment you can keep that. Stick it back in your pocket and save it for the next guy.
Complaining about having a bad night is one thing, but your original post in this thread was nothing about that. You have the right to complain and I have nothing against people who do. And if a "shoulder" to complain on is what you were looking for here, then continue on and Uber on.

And if you believe suing Uber will produce a positive change, then why do you not do exactly that. Go out there and hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against Uber. Or are you waiting for someone else to do it for you?

djino

·
Registered
93 Posts
Uber is survival money.....you cannot get rich and you cannot be poor, just something to keep the body moving, may be pay some bills, put basic food on the table, nothing grandiose. The problem is that people come to uber setting their expectations too high. Uber is like clinging to a drawning boat hoping it doesnt drawn and it will not drawn, but you live in constant fear hoping it doesnt go down or that nothing happens to you. Once you get into trouble, Uber moves on leaving you behind. But Uber is here to stay no matter the regulation. Unless they do it like Vancouver....Over regulate it and chase the drivers away leading to the demise of Uber in Toronto, but I highly doubt that. I had a PAX who was considering ditching her car because uber cost to and from work is less than 50% parking cost at her job site per day. So as PAX love it for paying close to nothing, City hall will find it hard to over regulate it. May be, may be if uber allows tipping, it may help, but there have made it very clear that tipping is not and will not be allowed. Let us see what September brings us.

Some people keep saying Stop, Stop , but different people have different needs and challenges, and Uber is taking advantage of peoples desperation to make a quick buck. When you stop, the bills keep coming, my advise is dont go take a loan or car loan base on Uber, dont even buy a phone on a plan, just survive while u look for a descent job or another minimum wage job hoping uber doesnt throw you under the bus, cause when you get in trouble, they will pull out their scripted responses and send to the media.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Uber is survival money.....you cannot get rich and you cannot be poor, just something to keep the body moving, may be pay some bills, put basic food on the table, nothing grandiose. The problem is that people come to uber setting their expectations too high. Uber is like clinging to a drawning boat hoping it doesnt drawn and it will not drawn, but you live in constant fear hoping it doesnt go down or that nothing happens to you. Once you get into trouble, Uber moves on leaving you behind. But Uber is here to stay no matter the regulation. Unless they do it like Vancouver....Over regulate it and chase the drivers away leading to the demise of Uber in Toronto, but I highly doubt that. I had a PAX who was considering ditching her car because uber cost to and from work is less than 50% parking cost at her job site per day. So as PAX love it for paying close to nothing, City hall will find it hard to over regulate it. May be, may be if uber allows tipping, it may help, but there have made it very clear that tipping is not and will not be allowed. Let us see what September brings us.

Some people keep saying Stop, Stop , but different people have different needs and challenges, and Uber is taking advantage of peoples desperation to make a quick buck. When you stop, the bills keep coming, my advise is dont go take a loan or car loan base on Uber, dont even buy a phone on a plan, just survive while u look for a descent job or another minimum wage job hoping uber doesnt throw you under the bus, cause when you get in trouble, they will pull out their scripted responses and send to the media.
Well said

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't get it, what it has to do with safe rider fee? they take $1.50 then they added back $1.50. The don't take it from driver. well that's what i see in my statement.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I don't get it, what it has to do with safe rider fee? they take $1.50 then they added back $1.50. The don't take it from driver. well that's what i see in my statement.
Agreed. Though actually the $1.50 is something they add then take back, but still a NET ZERO fee as far as the driver earnings is concerned.

djino

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agreed with most of you, I have many gripes against uber, many of which I have debated on this forum at length. The raising of the SRF is not going to be one of them.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Also Agree. SRF fees are a non issue. You have never been entitled to it and it's added after your fare. Could care less what they do with it either. I knew it was there before and if anyone should have an issue it's the customer.

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
Min fare $5-1.50 srf is 3.50-20%= $2.80 for driver vs 5-1 srf is 4-20% = $3.20. So there is a difference on min fare of $.40 right?
SRF is a tack on after all calculations. Then deducted. You never include it in your calculations. And you don't pay 20% on the SRF fee.

Recommend you go back and do your math again.

You should be going $5 minimum fare - 20% is $4. 4+1.50 is $6.50 - $1.50 is still $4.

Do that again with $1 and the math is the same.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Recommend you go back and do your math again.

You should be going $5 minimum fare - 20% is $4. 4+1.50 is $6.50 - $1.50 is still $4.

Do that again with $1 and the math is the same.
I recommend you go back and do your math again LOL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may not have the illusion of anything changing overnight, but you make the unrealistic appearance that by posting your frustrations about Uber on an online forum that likely isn't seen (and/or acted upon) by any Media/Regulator/Uber themselves, will some how produce a positive change that you are seeking.

Its blatantly obviously that if Drivers could organize in some way (form a union/etc.) could make waves to positive changes, but your ideas have been mentioned over and over on this forum by other members, but obviously everybody at this point lacks the ability to implement this to be successful.

This is the reason that I reply to such posts as yours in the same fashion. Simply saying what drivers should do without providing any means on how to actually do it, is just a whole lot of empty nothingness that doesn't change anything. It basically comes down to making a personal choice about Uber. Either continue to drive under current conditions since nobody is forcing Uber on you, or STOP DRIVING. Its really as simple as that.

Unless you want to steer the discussion onto specific things you have done (or want to do) that will produce positive changes for all drivers, then I'm happy to continue the discussion on your ideas and the merits of success.

I don't pretend to know anything about you or the majority of people on this forum's situation. Uber has only been around in recent years which means there was a time Uber was not around. If Uber didn't exists today (the city of Toronto could come out with rideshare regulations that Uber doesn't want to comply with and just end up leaving Toronto), what would you be doing in your professional life then? Does it not make sense (personally to you) to go in that direction in figuring out your next professional goals, instead of further wasting your time driving for Uber and complaining about it on an online forum hoping that the situation magically changes for the better.

I understand and agree that Uber is exploiting its drivers. But I'm also realistic to believe that I cannot personally do anything to produce a positive change. I have even communicated to reporters the issues involving Uber, but none of them wanted to run with the story. I've emailed Uber and went to their local offices to discuss my issues, but obviously Uber isn't in threat of the status quo, so they are not inclined to change it. I also know its completely silly to believe that the majority of Uber drivers participate on this forum which would allow us the ability to organize and force changes on Uber.

It all comes down to you and you alone. You are obviously content with the status quo, which is why you are continuing to drive under such conditions. Maybe its because you are not driven to make any changes to your professional life, but it also doesn't mean you do not have options. Everybody does.

I myself have stopped driving when I used to drive about 10-12 hours / week. It simply isn't worth it (risk wise / time wise / money wise) to drive entitled pax around uninsured for peanuts while I destroy my car that much faster. I made that personal choice to stop, but I also do not judge others who continue. But at the same time, it simply does not make sense to continue down the Uber path if it doesn't make you happy.

Complaining about having a bad night is one thing, but your original post in this thread was nothing about that. You have the right to complain and I have nothing against people who do. And if a "shoulder" to complain on is what you were looking for here, then continue on and Uber on.

And if you believe suing Uber will produce a positive change, then why do you not do exactly that. Go out there and hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit against Uber. Or are you waiting for someone else to do it for you?

djino
Buddy, why are you worried about what I do or how I'm doing it? It is none of your concern.

Start by looking in the mirror and asking yourself "What am I doing on a message board for drivers when I don't drive anymore?" If this was a 10-12 hour job for me and I stopped doing it, I sure as hell would have better things to do than be on here trying to give long winded lectures to people. You talk like an Uber employee relations rep trying to keep it business as usual.

-"I'm also realistic to believe that I cannot personally do anything to produce a positive change"

THIS is exactly why things don't change.

As for the SRF... you go ahead and drink your Uber Kool Aid...let them position it however they want. They lowered rates twice since I've been driving. Then hedged their loss by increasing the SRF an additional $0.50. They are related.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Buddy, why are you worried about what I do or how I'm doing it? It is none of your concern.
I'm not worried at all, I'm not stopping you from doing anything. Just trying to have a logical discussion with someone making unreasonable suggestions :).

Start by looking in the mirror and asking yourself "What am I doing on a message board for drivers when I don't drive anymore?"
I have my reasons for continuing to read and provide advice to drivers such as yourself, but I think at this point, you could careless about that. How is that Uber drivers union startup going for you?

If this was a 10-12 hour job for me and I stopped doing it, I sure as hell would have better things to do than be on here trying to give long winded lectures to people. You talk like an Uber employee relations rep trying to keep it business as usual.
Long winded lectures lol? My original reply wasn't long. It stated that asking all of us to start some sort of union is a fairy-tale and its simply best to make a personal choice to continue or stop driving because nothing else you do is going to force Uber to change. You took issue with that original reply, so I continued to prove my point which obviously went past you. This in addition to correcting your $1.50 SRF statement about it affecting our driver earnings.

-"I'm also realistic to believe that I cannot personally do anything to produce a positive change"

THIS is exactly why things don't change.
And what exactly are you doing to change? Have you hired a lawyer to sue Uber? Or are you waiting for someone else to do it? Have you spoken to the media like I have? If you have read any of my past posts, I have done much more than the average Joe in trying to force Uber to change. At this point, I believe the best way to force a chance is to stop driving, which is what I have done.

You doing nothing but complaining and continuing to drive produces the result of NOTHING CHANGING (which in affect could produce more negative changes).

As for the SRF... you go ahead and drink your Uber Kool Aid...let them position it however they want. They lowered rates twice since I've been driving. Then hedged their loss by increasing the SRF an additional $0.50. They are related.
I'm not drinking any Uber Kool-Aid. If I were, would you not think I'd be praising them and still be driving? You make absolutely no sense.

I agree with you that Uber has lowered rates. They do it all the time as the seasons go by. I criticize them each time its done. The SRF on the other hand does not affect the Driver earnings at all. The only group that would be complaining about an increase to SRF is the passenger. Think of the SRF as a tax.

djino

1 - 20 of 25 Posts