Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've 3 bachelor's degrees and can't get a job worth working. Poor decision on the first (biology ) bad timing on the 2nd (accounting in August 2008) and for some reason nursing jobs are hard to get using my 3rd. The only thing I can find is part time home health for $16 an hour. At least with uber I can go to interviews if I ever actually get one, travel, and pay my bills. Although, if I was making $8.50 an hour I'd just go to a restaurant. Waitresses here make far more

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Debt free and savings beats paycheck to paycheck and credit score mentality.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lol... Some people think: no college = no options.
And you drive for Uber because you love it.

I'll concede to fewer options, but by the time this kid is 30 autonomous cars will have wiped out driver options for employment. He'll have what skills?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I drive for uber for the tax break. Success comes from good decisions. Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions. Avoiding debt and living on less than one makes is far wiser than living on 99% of a higher income but it all goes out in interest payments and taxes. Lol, at college = skills. Meeting pax can teach lots of skills. Decision making on making Uber profitable can teach skills. 100,000 business miles = $57,000 of income tax free earnings. That is a valuable piece of information to learn. Accomplishing that with a paid for $8,000 car verses a $25,000 car with a payment book is a valuable piece of information.

·
Registered
98 Posts
And a sample size of one is the basis for flawed analysis.

Your strawman of success can easily be picked apart. Thing is I'm busy with other tasks. If it works for you in your specific situation, that's wonderful. I'm genuinely happy for you.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I am not saying college is for no one or everyone. I am not saying Uber is for no one or everyone. I am certainly not predicting what this young man makes of his life. I will not say he has no options. Think, do, get. All things being equal, (and they never are) self control is the number one factor in destiny.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The article says he dropped out of school due to mental illness, then moved back in with his mom and then after failed attempts to get a job started driving for Uber.

He didn't quit school to drive for Uber. He currently lives with his girl friend and his parents continue to supplement his income, BECAUSR HE'S NOT MAKING ENOUGH FROM UBER TO PAY BILLS.

I guess sometimes it pays to read the artcle and not just the link bait headline.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Oh gotcha ya..your right it does say that. So basically after dropping out do to health issues and trying to find a job he had to settle for something like uber and it pays so little he has to get help to pay his bills. Funny you don't here uber promote these stories lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts